is my knob too tight?

L.T.G

(I hope I don't get in trouble for my play on words :whistling: )

How tight should a clamp be tightened on a bike rack?

I realize not all brands are the same, but I'm paranoid about (well,....many things :mellow: )my bike falling off during transit, so I tighten the clamp quite a bit.

Should the knob just be turned until it grabs the bike "comfortably" or is it ok for it to have a rather firm grip on the bike?

I also use a piece of folded rubber matting like you'd use in a boot or a car to avoid the frame being scuffed by the clamp. 

I've got a Thule Euroway

Why not use a strap or bungee chord as well, around the thule and bike top tube, then you have peace of mind and do not have to worry whether you have tightened enough.

I think the real question is - How fast and reckless do you drive on the way home... if you are a careful person then it should just hold the bike not bear grip it.

I added the lockable knob to my euroway, which is torque limited. I still don't tighten it all the way though (also on my camber carbon!)

I rather make use of a tie down with ratchet to secure it further around the knob and the front wheel while I'm at it. This way, even if the knob comes loose, the strap is wrapped around it and the frame and holds everything together. 

Im always paranoid when my bikes on a rack. Ive had a bike fall off these racks before on a gravel road, would recommend bungie cord wrapped around frame and rack or old bike tube.