Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

when the mother in law visits for 10 days at a time... 

Ouch- good luck :blink:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain .... why is it a problem when 'mothers cooking' is around? I'm just wondering is it:-

1) it's so good you can't resist?

2) you are pressurised by MiL and or wife?

3) it keeps her quiet ;)

To me that kind of pressure and temptation will always be around but my family and friends know what my goal is and why and are pretty used to what I do and don't eat .... I ask for nothing special but will just eat what I 'can' out of what is served and as much as I feel necessary.

Fortunately there is almost always meat :) - that's about all I eat anyway

Captain .... why is it a problem when 'mothers cooking' is around? I'm just wondering is it:-

1) it's so good you can't resist?

2) you are pressurised by MiL and or wife?

3) it keeps her quiet ;)

To me that kind of pressure and temptation will always be around but my family and friends know what my goal is and why and are pretty used to what I do and don't eat .... I ask for nothing special but will just eat what I 'can' out of what is served and as much as I feel necessary.

Fortunately there is almost always meat :) - that's about all I eat anyway

Cos it keeps her quiet. Moans like a stuck pig at times. 

I also cook, all the time, so I can control that process and there's no issue with me having somethign different to the rest of the fam - cos I cook it. With her, she just cooks what she wants. Uses sunflower oil instead of butter, margarine instead of butter, all sorts of different ***... 

I also cook, all the time, so I can control that process and there's no issue with me having somethign different to the rest of the fam - cos I cook it. With her, she just cooks what she wants. Uses sunflower oil instead of butter, margarine instead of butter, all sorts of different ***... 

Just that on it's own is a valid reason! As you were .....

doesn't sound like she's too fond of you...

I'd sleep with an eye open next time she comes to visit. 

When she arrives at your place does she say thing like:

"oh Myles honey, I'm so surprised to see you!"?

or

"Oh Myles my son my son, so wonderful you're still alive and healthy!"...?

watch that one with eagle eyes I tell you

doesn't sound like she's too fond of you...

I'd sleep with an eye open next time she comes to visit. 

When she arrives at your place does she say thing like:

"oh Myles honey, I'm so surprised to see you!"?

or

"Oh Myles my son my son, so wonderful you're still alive and healthy!"...?

watch that one with eagle eyes I tell you

LOL. Nah, fuggit. Next time I'll just insist on cooking all the time. luckily it's only about twice a year or so. 

You have margarine and sunflower oil at home? No man. that stuff is like eating plastic. But the way you describe, if you didn't have it, she would buy it and use it anyway!

God luck next time..

You have margarine and sunflower oil at home? No man. that stuff is like eating plastic. But the way you describe, if you didn't have it, she would buy it and use it anyway!

God luck next time..

The latter. Had oooold sunflower oil at home, and a margarine block from the last time she visited. 

My challenge this year was to get under 80Kg by birthday at the end of June . I have done it with one week to spare !  (but only by  going on a water fast.)  Amazingly only 20 hours into my planned 72 hour water fast I dropped 1.4kg.

This is my second 72hr water fast which I am doing while traveling home after a long spell in the DRC, I did the previous fast at the end of Feb.  The break in routine caused by the travel makes the fast much easier.

The challenge now is to maintain my weight within in the range of 80Kg to 82kg in the long term.

post-63-0-92957600-1466420929_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Guy in Pink

I expected this... 355km last week and I didn't move a bit.

with the higher mileage, I had to take in some extra carbs which didn't help.

Maybe HR zones have something to do also, spent most of the time in upper Zone 3 & 4, whereas the previous week was more zone 2.

Going to have an easy week with a lot of indoor training which is more controlled so lets see how it goes.

1 good thing though, my belt moved into the next smaller hole.

Ja I saw that - a nice big week there, Vivek  :thumbup: .

My experience is that I don't see weight swings after just 1 ride.

If I'm strict with diet and doing the mileage, nothing happens for a while and then the weight starts to fall gradually. 

Similarly, if I start to eat badly and give in to my sugar cravings, after the first few days of binging I don't see any weight gain (just a general feeling of being 'pap' and big energy crashes on the bike). But then after a while the weight starts to go up and it becomes very difficult to stop.

Ok, so I gave it a try. Saturday 2 hours, had breakfast first though, which was 3/4 scoop of endurashake (3:1 carb:protein shake with some fat in it), maybe that was my mistake? anyway did 2 hours in zone 2 on only water, no problems. Sunday, breakfast, same as Saturday, did 3 hours zone 3. got hungry at 2 hours but I pushed through it, didn't get that weak achy body feeling, felt totally comfortable. Had a proper breakfast when I finished (eggs, a sausage, mushrooms and baked beans - yum). I was hungry the whole day, nothing filled me up! I ended up eating way more than I normally would or needed to.  :cursing:

Any ideas?

Maybe I should have posted this in the lchf thread... but the conversation started here... 

anyway, my weight seems to have plateued, due to lack of discipline, apart from Sundays munchies... 

There is an old Euro roadie trick that works wonders: sparkling water.

It has an amazing ability to make you feel full while at the same time obviously contributing zero calories (and of course no adverse 'chemical' side effects as found in diet pills - a completely benign/natural appetite suppressant).

Tyler Hamilton wrote in his book about going for huge rides then getting home, drinking 3L of sparkling water & 2 sleeping pills and going to bed. That's how they'd get down to skeletal levels before the TDF.

Of course, that's a bit too extreme. Here's what I do. I always have a 1L bottle of sparkling water (or soda water) in the fridge. When I get home and I've got the urge to eat the fridge I make up a protein shake for the recovery and then down a large glass of sparkling water. Immediately I don't want to see any more food. And for a while.

My worst time of the day is the evenings. I get mad cravings to snack all the time. Completely undoes all my hard work all the time. It's a real problem. So when I have supper, I make sure it's early, that the portion size is small, and then I chase it down with a large glass of sparkling water. Does the trick every time :).

I'll remember that

If you end up like me you'll have a bottle in the fridge, a couple always in the pantry cupboard, and a perplexed missus who has to keep buying more of these things every time she goes grocery shopping :D.

Mine has accepted this finally, and now even has her own low-calorie cordials to make it more interesting for her. But it's important we don't put any flavourant in ours - I tried that and it makes it far less effective (I end up back at the fridge again relatively quickly, looking for a snack).

On long car trips I make sure my drink on hand is a small bottle of sparkling water. That's another place where I tend to really binge on crap.

Ja I saw that - a nice big week there, Vivek  :thumbup: . My experience is that I don't see weight swings after just 1 ride. If I'm strict with diet and doing the mileage, nothing happens for a while and then the weight starts to fall gradually.  Similarly, if I start to eat badly and give in to my sugar cravings, after the first few days of binging I don't see any weight gain (just a general feeling of being 'pap' and big energy crashes on the bike). But then after a while the weight starts to go up and it becomes very difficult to stop.

Shot Tom !

Slowly getting going again, and just experimenting a bit at the moment to find what works. Doing the miles is not a problem, it's just sticking to a clean diet.

Will have to try out the sparkling water trick.

Oh, I don't think you need to worry too much about a sugar craving especially after all the mountains you climb.