Bike Hub weight loss challenge 2016

Bikehub weight loss competition  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in participating in a weight loss competition

• Yes
    • Perhaps
    • Where's my cake?

Keep at it okes - - daily battle but you'll win the war. By way of motivation.....I managed to drop +/-4 kgs and got down to 80.5kg and 20% body fat for the Jock Classique. On the day, I felt super-prepared for those hills. A huge reinforcing effect to actually 'feel' lighter. Probably the better reinforcement that looking at the scales, or checking out my belt size.

I knew that it would make a difference to drop some kg's before that race but still didn't manage it. Motivated now but how do I keep it going. After a week and a half I fade and then go big and I feel like my room for error is soooo small. I'm just trying to take it day by day but I know I haven't figured out how to make it stick - how to make it a big enough goal, an important enough goal to stay disciplined.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used MFP for 6 months 2 years ago. I can honestly say that I'm glad I don't use it anymore. Not so much that it had some inaccuracies or whatever, but I became a slave to logging and analysis. If you do use it, don't do what I did (become a slave to it), make it a tool, not a master.

Yep. I know. What I was saying (in the fibbing to myself part) is that on Saturday my calorie burn for the day (incl resting etc) was 3,600. I took in 2,500 including all the beer & food. So even though I pigged out, I still ended the day on a deficit (yes, I recorded everything) That's what I couldn't understand. 

But then thinking about it, that was a LOT of food, and it weighed close to that figure that I gained, I'm sure. The beers certainly weighed that, and the food itself probably as well. So that's what I mean by "lying to myself" - kidding myself that the exercise will offset the food, no matter what I eat. Cos at the end of the day, even if you burn 10,000 kcal - if you drink 1.5l beer, have a 300g steak, some chicken wings, some braai'd cheese & avo pitas and some chips, you're GOING to gain. And it's going to take a while for that extra food to come back out again... 

Someone once described this as "food weight" the food itself has a weight and will show up on the scale - you will burn it... I guess... Another reason the scale isn't the best reason to celebrate or scold...

Thinking about that burn... I wonder if it works retroactively maybe it has to be forward, the big eat needs to happen the day before the big exercise... I'm thinking about this because I do this too, eat big on days I exercise big but maybe that's another of my many mistakes...

Someone once described this as "food weight" the food itself has a weight and will show up on the scale - you will burn it... I guess... Another reason the scale isn't the best reason to celebrate or scold...

Thinking about that burn... I wonder if it works retroactively maybe it has to be forward, the big eat needs to happen the day before the big exercise... I'm thinking about this because I do this too, eat big on days I exercise big but maybe that's another of my many mistakes...

yeah. I dunno, eh. It probably works both ways, in that if you exercise then eat you've burnt previous food. So you're just refilling what you took away from the body. But it weighs you up, cos the food has an actual weight and until the waste is jettisoned you're adding actual weight to your body.  

I dunno. 

I knew that it would make a difference to drop some kg's before that race but still didn't manage it. Motivated now but how do I keep it going. After a week and a half I fade and then go big and I feel like my room for error is soooo small. I'm just trying to take it day by day but I know I haven't figured out how to make it stick - how to make it a big enough goal, an important enough goal to stay disciplined.

sign up for another big event and enter more challenging races to keep you going. I think that's the only way for now until we really make this is lifestyle.

I use fatsecret. Only for the first 2 weeks just to get an idea of whats going into my body. After that I can stay disciplined.

Apart from 2lt of water a day I drink lime and soda or Oros and soda.

I am not to worried about sugar intake as I am completely off the booze. So I will have 2 coffees a day with a teaspoon of sugar and milk.

I drop weight easy if I eat right and do so cycling.

Myles just a thought. 4 litres of water = 4kg. Maybe try drinking less and see what happens?

yeah, as said above it's between 2 & 4l per day. I can try drinking less, I suppose. 

According to the Mayo Clinic, though, Adequate Intake is around 3 litres of liquids a day. 

One thing about drinking more water - pee like a racehorse!

yeah, as said above it's between 2 & 4l per day. I can try drinking less, I suppose. 

According to the Mayo Clinic, though, Adequate Intake is around 3 litres of liquids a day. 

One thing about drinking more water - pee like a racehorse!

I can tell you that the 1st week of banting is just as bad. I also used to drink plenty water but I recon I'm down to 2 glasses a day now. Drink when thirsty even when exercising. So many opinions even from the good Prof. Noakes but maybe cut down and see if your weight changes?

I can tell you that the 1st week of banting is just as bad. I also used to drink plenty water but I recon I'm down to 2 glasses a day now. Drink when thirsty even when exercising. So many opinions even from the good Prof. Noakes but maybe cut down and see if your weight changes?

Will see what happens.

And wowzers - that's not a lot at all... 

Since I had a bit of a tumble in May, and being off the saddle since then, I have become a bit more "stretched" around the mid-riff area... :blush:

Scale battery is flat and I am too nervous to replace it :whistling:

(Holding thumbs the doc says I can ride again later this arvie.)

Since I had a bit of a tumble in May, and being off the saddle since then, I have become a bit more "stretched" around the mid-riff area... :blush:

Scale battery is flat and I am too nervous to replace it :whistling:

(Holding thumbs the doc says I can ride again later this arvie.)

I replaced mine the other day. Needless to say, I am now back on the waggon - several kgs heavier but back on the waggon none the less. [emoji3]