Transbaviaans tyre choice

Mrs Balls

This year will be the first time I do a super long marathon, any recommendations on rubber choice for the event from hubbers who completed the race before? 

Anything. Its not tough on tyres or demanding on grip.

A good roller will serve best, but really, anything.

I have seen enough people fixing punctures & sidewall cuts (including team mates) on dirtroadie races like TB not to be tempted to go super lightweight. I say go with what you would normally use at any other mtb race. 

From my experience mountain bike tyres work the best...

nothing like experience to give you that edge over fellow riders...

I have seen enough people fixing punctures & sidewall cuts (including team mates) on dirtroadie races like TB not to be tempted to go super lightweight. I say go with what you would normally use at any other mtb race. 

I agree, I run my normal Maxxis Ardent front Maxxis Crossmark rear combo which is fine here in the States. On the heavy side but no issues in 6 years of Trans.

Agree. I have gone the heavier but VERY reliable route. Sagauro's front and back.

6000km's and not a SINGLE puncture.

EDIT: DO the tubeless properly and have enough fluid inside.

Edited by dee_biker

I've made it through the Baviaans on 390g tyres on my 26er, and 490g tyres on my 29er. No need to pack tractor tyres, but it does give a bit more peace of mind. A safe bet is a set of Crossmarks, non UST.

Slicks will also finish this race

And this helped the OP how much? It's like saying you can run Comrades barefoot. We all now it can be done, but it is definitely not fun.

I did it with an Geax AKA rear, Saguro front.

I'd be happy to do it on pretty much anything. I wouldn't buy specific tyres for the race, and don't use "lightweight" tyres ever - so Schwalbe Snakeskins (though I'm pretty sure the TLRs would be fine), Conti Protections, Vittoria TNTs etc. I'm not a fan of the Spez tyres as the only sidewall issue I have ever has is with a brand new Control version of the Ground Control (as in I'd ridden around 12km), and I could never get the control version of the fasttrack to seal properly - never had any problems with Schwalbe, Maxxis or Geax.

As stated in previous posts, it's really not a race that's tough on tyres. a couple kms of single track and enough people in front of you to clear any thorns. The only rocks are at river crossings and therefore "smooth" rocks which shouldn't be an issue.

Due to the distance.... pick a fast roller, something that's good on hardpack, and run it front and rear.

Maxxis Ardent front, cross mark rear. Bulletproof although bit heavy according to those in the know how.