Help build the Super Loop at Garden Route Trail Park

News bot

Guest notmyname

The step up? So far I think just one South African has hit it.

How hit that step up? Who can ride that loop?

The step up? So far I think just one South African has hit it.

Justin Novela flipped it and Roman Kumpers has hit it. I think Nic Reichwein has too. The size of that thing is beyond comprehension. The pics don't really do it justice coz it's in a dip. Just standing next to the roll in is scary.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

The Trail Park is a passion project for the owner. Even with a R100 entry fee, costs aren't covered. 

Hosting people like Matt and his mates from Pure Darkness is more for the owner's pleasure than anything else. You should see how stoked he gets when the guys started building and hitting the step up. He's been planning this with Matt even before he left after last year's build. Huge time and money has been put in already.

There will also be an edit out of the Trail Park this summer that you won't have to donate any money to a Canadian lad, or anyone else, to watch.

Sure.. All good, surely he owns the machinery anyway. But Big ups for doing it in the first place. He has a good little business going there. Spent the money and its slowly coming back to him. The time I was there in January there must have been 20 cars parked outside, the coffee shop was full, and I saw and heard people around me on the trails quite often. I think its a nice break from the old Hakerville red route everyone use to crowd during Dec hols.

However.. as others have said. Perhaps now might not be the best "climate" for this request ;)

Sure.. All good, surely he owns the machinery anyway. But Big ups for doing it in the first place. He has a good little business going there. Spent the money and its slowly coming back to him. The time I was there in January there must have been 20 cars parked outside, the coffee shop was full, and I saw and heard people around me on the trails quite often. I think its a nice break from the old Hakerville red route everyone use to crowd during Dec hols.

However.. as others have said. Perhaps now might not be the best "climate" for this request ;)

I've been there about 6 times in the last year and have had many chats with Rob about how the trails are going. He's not printing money there at all. His biggest complaint is that all of his customers seem to come from Cape Town. The garden route locals want to grind.

Those trails are SUPERB IMO. Well worth the R100 per day to ride them or the price of an annual membership. The amount of thought and work that's gone into them is ridiculous. He had Mark Gordon there for months building. That stuff isn't free.

Going up for a long weekend and staying in the trail house with mates to me is a real treat. What could possibly be better than spending the day riding rad trails and then smashing a few beers and overnighting in a house 100m from the trail head?

Rob owns the jcb but not the huge ass excavator they used to dig the clay out. Nor the truck to transport it to the site. Also if you think a JCB runs itself for free you are sadly mistaken.

20 cars = +- 30 riders * R100. That's 3k. Hardly a kings ransom.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

With the exchange rate as it is, they can come here and pay us to build it and still make a profit... 

Let's look at this from a positive angle.

As I see it the donations are being asked from the cycling community as a whole, not just S.A. interested parties.

The coverage the park is gaining from just this promotional edit is certainly work it's bandwidth in gold. .....now get the project up, running successfully and a great final edit and the world is exposed to a great S.A. trail and would hopefully lure more international cyclists to come on over here. .....and not just the Lycos clad crowd from the Argus our epic type categories.

Best wishes to all trying to makes this work.