Croc2Croc: A unique approach taking boutique MTB stage events to the next level

News bot

No price in the blurb usually means it's not insignificant

Hehe. My thoughts exactly. And if the sentence "mtb'ing is the new golf" is in there that's the point I stop reading..

But with a bit of digging I saw the entry fee is R12K per team and includes accomodation. Not ridicilous compared to similar events imo.

Yeah whilst reading it I also heard the till ringing. The event write up makes it look like a great opportunity to cycle the path less traveled.......

What's a boutique MTB event? Is it like a boutique hotel? Or boutique hairdresser? Or boutique coffee shop? Just sounds like another MTB event, another hotel, another hairdresser, another coffee shop... ... ...

It sounds more like an event than a race (with the Mild and Wild), with a number of "side" trails which make up the Wild part of it. I think this is a pretty cool idea, but not really sure how it will be managed.

I get the impression from the write up that it's going to be a bit more Grace2Grace than Trailseeker (I get this from the "boutique" Ryanpmb).

Above in mind, it really does sound pretty awesome. Looking forward to see whether this is just a well written preview, or if it lives up to it.

That's really not bad

Unlikely that this can / will be beaten in 2016 in terms of value for money... level of accommodation at Verlorenkloof simply too high irrespective of the route

It sounds more like an event than a race (with the Mild and Wild), with a number of "side" trails which make up the Wild part of it. I think this is a pretty cool idea, but not really sure how it will be managed.

I get the impression from the write up that it's going to be a bit more Grace2Grace than Trailseeker (I get this from the "boutique" Ryanpmb).

Above in mind, it really does sound pretty awesome. Looking forward to see whether this is just a well written preview, or if it lives up to it.

Mild Croc will be an 'event' for all to enjoy (Grace2Grace style), but Wild Croc will be a tough nut to crack and very competitive! It will be unique, more so than any other route / race in the country...:)

Route concept and layout 'only' took 3 yrs to put together... This concept has been successfully tried and tested in 100s of adventure races over the past couple of decades, but putting it together requires a huge amount of energy, planning and testing.  

What's a boutique MTB event? Is it like a boutique hotel? Or boutique hairdresser? Or boutique coffee shop? Just sounds like another MTB event, another hotel, another hairdresser, another coffee shop... ... ...

Small and stylish, something very special and dear...

Hehe. My thoughts exactly. And if the sentence "mtb'ing is the new golf" is in there that's the point I stop reading..

But with a bit of digging I saw the entry fee is R12K per team and includes accomodation. Not ridicilous compared to similar events imo.

R12k per team / R6k solo, 3 days of luxury accommodation, 95% of route on private land... R3k for supporter sharing with more supporter activities than ALL other stage events put together! No corrugated district roads, no over-crowded race village, share ablutions or stuffy 2-man tents! Is this a value proposition? 'Golf' analogy interesting as that appears to be the only area on which they want to splash on clients? 

Yeah whilst reading it I also heard the till ringing. The event write up makes it look like a great opportunity to cycle the path less traveled.......

Concept of the Croc2Croc was born in 2013 after the 10th edition of the Epic - one too many events that over charge the client (good brand equity?), too many nights in over crowed race villages, unrideable (sand) tracks, boring tracks, and the list goes on and on...  The challenge is to offer an event for LESS than comparable tented accommodation, with vastly superior accommodation and a route that keeps you mentally and physically on the edge! But the proof of the pudding will be in the eating...

• 3 months later...

If anyone is doing the Wild Croc event, please report back and let us know:

- how well/poor the event was managed

- how the actual riding is on the WILD side

- was it fun or just hard climbs

- how does it rate to some of the other 3 day stage races?

- how Lux was the accommodation/food?

- worth the $$$$?

This is definitely on my bucket list and to be honest, I would prefer smaller tailor made events with a more relaxed vibe...

Not strong enough for this year's event... Hopefully 2017!