Review: Schwalbe Hans Dampf

Iwan Kemp

Schwalbe launched the Hans Dampf, which roughly translates to "handyman" or a "Jack of all trades", in 2011 to much fanfare and anticipation. It was said to deliver all mountain (enduro was not invented yet) grip at trail weight and speed. Schwalbe had also promised to have solved their quick-wearing reputation.

Click here to view the article

Yip, I agree. I will go back to the Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin TrailStar TL-Ready folding as soon as my current tyres are done

Great tire.
WTB Vigilante very similar in look and same trail characteristics, but better longevity. Schwalbe definitely still needs to work on getting their tires to last longer.

So, now, the million dollar question.... Where can you buy these? I basically went round to every single bicycle shop in Cape Town last year to try and find these. Only managed to source a single pace star tyre (no trail star). Oh and mine cost a cool 900 bucks.

I believe you also tested the Onza Ibex. For a Western Cape trail / enduro setup, which do you prefer?

So, now, the million dollar question.... Where can you buy these? I basically went round to every single bicycle shop in Cape Town last year to try and find these. Only managed to source a single pace star tyre (no trail star). Oh and mine cost a cool 900 bucks.

EVOBikes most likely to stock. 

What do the import duties and courier costs typically work out at for purchase from these guys?

Courier costs in the region EUR30 or so, and there's no duty on tyres. Only VAT charged at 15.4% (cost of item plus 10% to determine vatable amount) so it pays to import a few at a time to offset the shipping costs. 

Bike-components.de is also an option, and they have slightly cheaper shipping at approx EUR 20 depending on what you ship. 

EDIT: Difference is that Bike-discount ship with UPS, whereas Bike-components ships with German Post, which comes via SAPO when it reaches here... 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I have the 2.35 29ers on my bike and they are absolutely wonderful. They give one so much grip and confidence on downhills, I really don't care if they weigh a bit more or have a bit more rolling resistance on the ups.

Side knobbies tear or tear off. once they even just have a small tear they tend to wash out. if they made the same tyre with more support on the side knobs - maybe. Initially and while they new they are great and then they turn to crap.

What do the import duties and courier costs typically work out at for purchase from these guys?

its going into winter up north, so if you hang on for a bit, they'll throw out some prices that will make buying from the germans seriously good value for money, despite the exchange rate.

FYI: sale seasons in euroland are in Jan/Feb and July/Aug, but they often throw out specials every so often.

Side knobbies tear or tear off. once they even just have a small tear they tend to wash out. if they made the same tyre with more support on the side knobs - maybe. Initially and while they new they are great and then they turn to crap.

maxxis side knobs also tear off. Now what?

FYI, there was a bad run of rubber for schwalbe A LONG WHILE BACK. Some of that stuff may still be in circulation,but the new stuff lasts pretty damn long in comparison.

maxxis side knobs also tear off. Now what?

FYI, there was a bad run of rubber for schwalbe A LONG WHILE BACK. Some of that stuff may still be in circulation,but the new stuff lasts pretty damn long in comparison.

2x 2015 Nobby Nics - both leaking between the blocks - so bad I had to plug - stans didn't seal and no not punctures... started as "sweating".

2x 2014 Hans Dampf - tearing - no leaks - trailstar tearing blocks - pacestar still ok.

2x 2015 26" Racing Ralph - leaking although much less.

maxxis side knobs also tear off. Now what? - WTB that's what... well lets see how they last... they still new. 

The issues I had was not just me and not just 1 time. Known issue world wide particularly on the Trailstar compound HD.

Edited by s14phoenix

2x 2015 Nobby Nics - both leaking between the blocks - so bad I had to plug - stans didn't seal and no not punctures... started as "sweating".

2x 2014 Hans Dampf - tearing - no leaks - trailstar tearing blocks - pacestar still ok.

2x 2015 26" Racing Ralph - leaking although much less.

maxxis side knobs also tear off. Now what? - WTB that's what... well lets see how they last... they still new. 

The issues I had was not just me and not just 1 time. Known issue world wide particularly on the Trailstar compound HD.

Not sure what you doing to your tires. Heaps of guys based out of CT and Stellies ride the Schwalbe's - Hans, Rocket Rons, Racing Ralphs - and no one I know has these tear and leak issues. I have found the WTB to be great too.