Review: Schwalbe Hans Dampf

Iwan Kemp

2x 2015 Nobby Nics - both leaking between the blocks - so bad I had to plug - stans didn't seal and no not punctures... started as "sweating".

2x 2014 Hans Dampf - tearing - no leaks - trailstar tearing blocks - pacestar still ok.

2x 2015 26" Racing Ralph - leaking although much less.

maxxis side knobs also tear off. Now what? - WTB that's what... well lets see how they last... they still new. 

The issues I had was not just me and not just 1 time. Known issue world wide particularly on the Trailstar compound HD.

In general, i dont use flimsy (XC or similar) tyres, so fair enough, our experiences could be polarised on the type of application. I've been using every generation of schwalbe tires, but predominantly from the gravity range of schwalbe tyres, and i know first hand how their gravity range of tyres have improved especially wrt sideknobs tearing off.

Edited by Capricorn

Courier costs in the region EUR30 or so, and there's no duty on tyres. Only VAT charged at 15.4% (cost of item plus 10% to determine vatable amount) so it pays to import a few at a time to offset the shipping costs. 

Bike-components.de is also an option, and they have slightly cheaper shipping at approx EUR 20 depending on what you ship. 

EDIT: Difference is that Bike-discount ship with UPS, whereas Bike-components ships with German Post, which comes via SAPO when it reaches here... 

I would also look at this option which works out brilliantly for ordering from overseas: 

https://www.aramexglobalshopper.com/

If you use this coupon (which I did, you'll get free lifetime membership): AGS1002014

They basically give you a local address to ship it to (Germany, London, New York etc) so you usually don't land up paying for local delivery and then they charge you a flat fee plus and duties.

I was quoted R170 to ship from the US for first 500g, it then goes up but not exactly sure of the rates.

I think it's an epic system.

I would also look at this option which works out brilliantly for ordering from overseas: 

If you use this coupon (which I did, you'll get free lifetime membership): AGS1002014

They basically give you a local address to ship it to (Germany, London, New York etc) so you usually don't land up paying for local delivery and then they charge you a flat fee plus and duties.

I was quoted R170 to ship from the US for first 500g, it then goes up but not exactly sure of the rates.

That's BRILLIANT. Do they also handle the taxation issues, given that if you provide a local address you'll be paying local tax? Unless they presume that local (EU) delivery will be less than international, and ask you to ship it to an EU but not in country address, thereby avoiding German etc tax... 

Ah. No EU version yet. Just UK Italy Spain & France in the EU

Edited by Myles Mayhew

That's BRILLIANT. Do they also handle the taxation issues, given that if you provide a local address you'll be paying local tax? Unless they presume that local (EU) delivery will be less than international, and ask you to ship it to an EU but not in country address, thereby avoiding German etc tax... 

Ah. No EU version yet. Just UK Italy Spain & France in the EU

I'm not sure... I would suggest you chat to Lunga Nkosi at their local office: with any queries Lunga.Nkosi@aramex.com / +27 11 457 3197 - very helpful.

I got the 2.35 Magic Mary's for my front tyre as a present and haven't stopped smiling since Christmas day. I was previously running the old Nobby Nic's and did a few thousand km's on that and its still got a bit to go but the difference is HUGE. Not sure how they compare to Hans Dampf's but i've also heard the new version of the Nobby Nic's is great too. 

Good & informative review (as always)  Iwan.

I have a set of HD's on my Shova ST

TailStar - F 

PaceStar - R

At first it felt draggy, but the more it wears (esp the rear) & starts to look like the Rock Razor the easier it rolls.

Maybe it's studpid question, but has anyone considered to cut a little 'ramp' into the center knobs to increase rollability?

Performance on the narrow rim?

Hmmm, definitely not as good as on a wider rim. Thick sand was a bit of a disaster before. Upper Tokai and Upper Jonkers weren't fun in summer! 

But to be fair, I have found wider rims to transform just about all tires I've tried on them. Some Maxxis models do not work as well, but generally grip is GREATLY improved with the use of wider rims.

No comments made on longevity/durability.

Hmm, even reading your comment I was sure I did, but I obviously missed that one. Longevity is much improved and on par with other tires I've tried. Certainly not the Schwalbe of old.

I'm not sure... I would suggest you chat to Lunga Nkosi at their local office: with any queries Lunga.Nkosi@aramex.com / +27 11 457 3197 - very helpful.

I've used them recently - bit of a review coming up soon.  Dealt with Lunga and can vouch for her. GREAT customer service.

Good & informative review (as always)  Iwan.

Maybe it's studpid question, but has anyone considered to cut a little 'ramp' into the center knobs to increase rollability?

:thumbup:

I've seen this done and have read their feedback, but no first hand experience.

I believe you also tested the Onza Ibex. For a Western Cape trail / enduro setup, which do you prefer?

I did, but those were 29" and these are 27.5"

I did, but those were 29" and these are 27.5"

Aah, that wasn't immediately apparent from the article, but I guess If I compared your tyre weights to the table I could've figured that out. Still, I would have thought some characteristics could be directly compared despite difference in wheel size.