Hatchback bike rack, scratch car?

1david1

Guys, 

I would like a bike rack for my car (Polo hatchback). I don't have a tow bar. 

A good friend mentioned that the Thule rear mounted bike rack with the straps (note with the straps, Thule 910XT) scratches the car paint. He suggested I get the solid frame (eg: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/173185-thule-clip-on-3-bike-rack/).

Please advise?  

I have one that does not scratch my car however I keep the contact points clean and the straps themselves never touch the car. I have used it for long distances too to PE for example without any problems.

mine can take 2 bikes, also thinking of selling it so if you keen welcome to send me a pm. I now have roof racks.

http://www.cargogear.com/infolib.aspx?lookup=THSPD2&image=thspd2bigjpg

Yeah keeping the car clean the straps tight and loose ends free from flapping (i cable tie the excess) is key.  Also make sure the bike is secure so it wont swing around and the wheels and pedals will not turn while in motion and rub against the car.  If all that's done properly you wont get scratches. You cant just chuck the bike on and go.

I have a Thule Raceway "clip on" rack. I use it on my white sedan. 4 contact points plus 4 "hooks". The only time it scratched my car was when I installed it incorrectly.

The 4 points do rub. What I mean by this is when the car is clean and you look at the paintwork in in the right light from the right angle you can clearly see where the contact points are. These are more noticable on the "top" of the bootlid than on the numberplate section.

I don't specifically make sure that everything is clean before mounting it.

Doing this again... I would buy exactly the same rack, and get some of that hard clear plastic and stick a bit on the contact point sections. to prevent the "rubbing". I'll try get some pics in Feb for you.

I have a Thule Raceway "clip on" rack. I use it on my white sedan. 4 contact points plus 4 "hooks". The only time it scratched my car was when I installed it incorrectly.

The 4 points do rub. What I mean by this is when the car is clean and you look at the paintwork in in the right light from the right angle you can clearly see where the contact points are. These are more noticable on the "top" of the bootlid than on the numberplate section.

I don't specifically make sure that everything is clean before mounting it.

Doing this again... I would buy exactly the same rack, and get some of that hard clear plastic and stick a bit on the contact point sections. to prevent the "rubbing". I'll try get some pics in Feb for you.

Exact same.

I just need to get some clear plastic.

Sort like this, except mine is the platform one.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/132677-thule-raceway-2-bike/

I have the 3 bike one of those.

The only "issue" I have with it is the locking mechanisms. the "bike" lock only goes over the outermost bike. So when you have 1 bike you need to put it on the outermost rack which becomes VERY bouncy. So I removed it and use a normal 10mm combination type bicycle lock. Then the "rack" lock is only a lock which prevents you from undoing the ratchet on one side. I haven't tried but I'm pretty certain I could get the rack off without unlocking it.

I sprayed Rustomleum Rockguard on the contact points (about 4 coats) to prevent scratches. It's clear and is quite durable.

If you don't tie the bike down properly, expect some paint damage from wheels/pedals etc. A cut pool noddle helps here

I had a Saris Bones which never scratched my car in the time I used it, new car has a towbar so went with something else.

The design of the carrier matters. My brother recently did a round trip of just over 2000km with the Saris and didnt have any issues with scratching despite most of it being in the Karoo.

I have a hatch back and a Thule 3 bike strap on.

The wnds that hook into the car are rubberrised and dont scratch the car but its important to keep them (parts of the car where you hook them into and the hooks) clean.