Upgrading

xnadu

Due to bad judgement on my part i have realized that i cant buy a bike new or 2nd hand - was a bit of a shock first.

But then i sat down and thought - hey you do have 26"  bike - start upgrading "her".

"She" is a Trek series 6000 mountain bike.

Now remember i said the green stuff is low so i will save and get the parts over time but i have another problem and im not technical at all so if i have the part must i take it to LBS or try to do it myself or what ?

Please advise: what will be the best upgrades be for me as i do mostly road and sometimes trails ?

Any help /advice would be great and just state your reasons why you you should think its the route that i should follow.

Thx

Have the bike now for about 9 years and want to improve a bit / want something different / 

Well it depends....but I think the best bang for buck is the second hand 26" market

But I'm guessing it's a 3x9 disc brake hard tail?

You can get good deals here on 26" forks and wheels as there is no ' market ' for them anymore. If you were a bit more technical I would say shop around for a new frame too, but if money's too tight to mention then paying labour to get it rebuilt won't wo

Well it depends....but I think the best bang for buck is the second hand 26" market

But I'm guessing it's a 3x9 disc brake hard tail?

You can get good deals here on 26" forks and wheels as there is no ' market ' for them anymore. If you were a bit more technical I would say shop around for a new frame too, but if money's too tight to mention then paying labour to get it rebuilt won't wo

Upload some pics and some specs for us, and tell us whats your budget. 26''s are dirt cheap these days, your biggest cost I'll say will come from the fork, crank and brakes if you decide to upgrade or build. What you could do is transfer the majority of your parts from your existing bike onto a new frame. I bought a brand new 26" unused frame from my LBS for next to nothing.

Current build breakdown:

Frame - 300

wheels - 600

fork - from old bike

Shifter, derailleur, cassette and used chain - 400

Bar n stem - 150

Crank - 250

Crankbolts brand new - 139 (Courtesy of Kiwi)

Brakes - R300 (old Hayes Nine, needed DIY)

grips and pedals - 75

odds - R300 Cables, ferrules, and BB etc.

Total : R2500, for a brand new unridden bike, that's a lot of fun to boot. Getting a seat post on Tuesday and I'll be rolling!.

The problem with building a budget bike from scratch is that all the little things suck you dry, Seatclamps, seatposts, chains, powerlinks, cassettes, headsets, pedals, BB's, cables, housings and ferrules all add up, without you noticing, not to mention tools and lubes if you don't have them already.

post-65038-0-75822600-1453397741_thumb.jpg

post-65038-0-65432700-1453397742_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arrowhead

Build yourself a new 2ndhand bike. Keep the 26er. Then decide are you gonna build a roadbike or a 29er. Start off with a goo frame as this determines the rest of your components especially with a mtb. You can lean how to do some maintenance yourself. Classifieds are full of bargains for good parts.

Sounds like you need a cyclocross bike.

Edited by Cippo

Have the bike now for about 9 years and want to improve a bit / want something different / 

Put some pics up, guys may have items you require to bring her back to life a bit. 

Is it disk or Vbrake? if its disk brake i would suggest a new set of wheels first and go tubeless

Other than that stick a shorter stem and some wider bars on to transform the handling  

I will put up pics of my bike on monday or on the weekend so that you guys can see.

Im happy with my bike frame - dont have a problem with that and the components that i have on the bike is deore but im thinking to go for slx.

I might be going for a longer stem and wider/longer handle bars - not sure if i should change the fork im still in 2 minds about that and i am tubeless so i think ( not sure) that my wheels are ok .

My pedals i feel its also ok .

You guys can see the pix of my bike later and we can also decide from there the way forward to the new look of the bike.

thx