Surprised theres no comments on the Tour Down Under...

GrumpyOldGuy

..although I have to say in my opinion the racing, so far, has been rather mediocre, maybe due to the heat and the really short stages of around 135 kms, which is a bit of a jaunt for athletes at this level. 

Caleb Ewan however has been the shining star of the event, seems no one can even get near to his wheel when he gets going and he is a really tiny guy, certainly not a big powerhouse like Griepel or Boonen.

Porte looked positively anemic he was so lean, I cant ever remember seeing him so lean at SKY, but he looked on good form, maybe a good sign for the future grand tours.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Race will be decided tomorrow on Wallunga Hill. We get highlights here but its delayed. Been following on Twitter. 

To be honest I'm a little disappointed in the DD4Q team performance. For some reason that I cant explain, I expected more from them in this race.

Race will be decided tomorrow on Wallunga Hill. We get highlights here but its delayed. Been following on Twitter. 

Yah, although I expected stage three to be a lot more interesting than it was, it had the making of a good stage been pretty hilly all day and then Corkscrew hill to end it off, but it was a bit of a let down, basically Porte got on the front and controlled the pace, I expect to suit Rohan Dennis and this just stopped all the serious attacks.  

To be honest I'm a little disappointed in the DD4Q team performance. For some reason that I cant explain, I expected more from them in this race.

I thought Meintjies was riding? Maybe he is, dont know, but if he is I would have expected to see him on Corkscrew hill, yet he was conspicuously absent.

Yah, although I expected stage three to be a lot more interesting than it was, it had the making of a good stage been pretty hilly all day and then Corkscrew hill to end it off, but it was a bit of a let down, basically Porte got on the front and controlled the pace, I expect to suit Rohan Dennis and this just stopped all the serious attacks.  

I think Gerro might hang on for the overall victory. As far as I know Mentjes is there. Haven't seen or heard anything though. 

Been watching it everyday, record it live on Sky sports and watch later at a more respectable time

Thought about opening a thread yesterday but got side tracked :whistling:

Ha, Ha, Yeah....it happens!  :D

I thought Meintjies was riding? Maybe he is, dont know, but if he is I would have expected to see him on Corkscrew hill, yet he was conspicuously absent.

Good point. Wasn't that going to be his first race for his new team? I hope is is not injured pre-season or even worse being protected because of new vitamins they have been giving him... :mellow:

I think Gerro might hang on for the overall victory. As far as I know Mentjes is there. Haven't seen or heard anything though. 

Maybe, I am not a big Porte fan but he looks in seriously good condition, I think he could rip everything apart on Wallunga Hill and maybe take enough time, although its hard to understand BMC's thinking with both Porte and Dennis competing for the honours on such a short tour.

Good point. Wasn't that going to be his first race for his new team? I hope is is not injured pre-season or even worse being protected because of new vitamins they have been giving him... :mellow:

I think so, if I read the Louis Meintjies blog thread on this forum.

meintjes is 58' down - tied 27th position - top saffa

Maybe, I am not a big Porte fan but he looks in seriously good condition, I think he could rip everything apart on Wallunga Hill and maybe take enough time, although its hard to understand BMC's thinking with both Porte and Dennis competing for the honours on such a short tour.

I agree, very strange from BMC. Personally i wouldn't mind Dennis taking it again. Anything can happen on that hill tomorrow. Bonus seconds might decide the GC.