Momsen not selling frame sets?

Champ4C

I've been riding a momsen for over 5 years now. After riding a couple of other brands before I think Momsen is an amazing brand! Very responsive frame builds and amazing performance. I,ve been using the SL 729 carbon frame and build it up to just under 10kg. What a bike! Being so happy with my bike I decided to save up and replace my hardtail frame with the new Vipa 2016 team frame. This is my first dual sus frame and being very excited I called Momsen early in Jan to order my new frame! Guess my huge dissapointment when they told me they only sell the bike as a whole and you can't purchuse the frame only!?!

Now this can only be my lack of knowledge but thats rediculous right? They turning away a happy supportive customer and super fan. Now sitting with the question do I buy another brand which I do not really want to but Momsen is forcing me to go that route.

Really dissapointed and dont know what to do?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really customer service fail.

More like, Brand Marketing & Business direction fail, but that's according to your opinion.

To them as a business, it makes perfect sense.

The vipa, falls in the category, of purchasers, who want a well specced carbon DS bike.

They will sell 100 complete bikes for every chassis only they sell. May not make sense to you, but makes perfect sense to them.

Had same scenario when my road frame cracked and had to search for another one. Was quite surprized when I heard this. Marketing 101...increase market share.

100% Correct on what RocknRolla said.

But what happens in a case of a Momsen Vipa  frame warranty claim? 

Surely there must be stock of bare frames for this purpose?

If this is the case, why can a loyal customer not be accommodated? 

This reeks of a person with tunnel vision answering phone/emails in sales department. 

Doing the company no good.

I am sure Mr. V. Momsen would approach the situation differently in a positive manner.  

I've been riding a momsen for over 5 years now. After riding a couple of other brands before I think Momsen is an amazing brand! Very responsive frame builds and amazing performance. I,ve been using the SL 729 carbon frame and build it up to just under 10kg. What a bike! Being so happy with my bike I decided to save up and replace my hardtail frame with the new Vipa 2016 team frame. This is my first dual sus frame and being very excited I called Momsen early in Jan to order my new frame! Guess my huge dissapointment when they told me they only sell the bike as a whole and you can't purchuse the frame only!?!

Now this can only be my lack of knowledge but thats rediculous right? They turning away a happy supportive customer and super fan. Now sitting with the question do I buy another brand which I do not really want to but Momsen is forcing me to go that route.

Really dissapointed and dont know what to do?

Myself being a proud and vocal Momsen Vipa supporter was disappointed with the companies policies and general practices towards loyal customers.

You can send emails, make phone calls, nothing will happen.

Their is a nice frame in the classifieds...but I will spend my money elsewhere.

100% Correct on what RocknRolla said.

But what happens in a case of a Momsen Vipa  frame warranty claim? 

Surely there must be stock of bare frames for this purpose?

If this is the case, why can a loyal customer not be accommodated? 

This reeks of a person with tunnel vision answering phone/emails in sales department. 

Doing the company no good.

I am sure Mr. V. Momsen would approach the situation differently in a positive manner.  

I can`t complain about a warranty claim,since mine was not considered as such.

Had to sign a repair authorisation, just for the bike shop to be billed for the repairs...

And this damages was caused by TWT/Momsen to my accord,although their expert says otherwise.

In the whole process, it took TWT/Momsen days to replay to my emails,even though I addressed the email to Mr Victor Momsen himself.

I can go on about how I defended the brand and bike,lend my own bike for test rides,sold Vipas on word of mouth,let them know about faults on their websites...alas nothing.

It is unfortunate for me as a loyal Vipa fan to state:

Myself as a loyal customer and vocal supporter of Momsen, that purchased their Vipa with my own money, have more believe in their trademark (Momsen),their product (Vipa) and value customer service more important than those in power.

I will spend my money on one of the other proudly SA bikes.

post-53811-0-62482900-1453538864_thumb.jpg

post-53811-0-31123100-1453538928_thumb.jpg

post-53811-0-20264700-1453538955_thumb.jpg

I hope someone from Momsen can reply to this topic. Would really like to hear their side of the story...

Dont worry its not just momsen. I also received my commencal like that. But the scratches were elsewhere on the bike. All I got was, sorry we cant do anything about it.

Brands and brand agents are really gonna have to pull their socks up this year and beyond. Business is gonna get tough, and if they cant satisfy and support their clientele, then people will move.

Thanks for the reply guys

I'am still a huge Momsen fan and really are bummed that I can't buy a new 2016 team frame separately :/ Still keeping my fingers crossed for a miracle though! Tried a few other options but just not the same! Sitting in a catch 22 position.

The weird thing is that my riding buddy bought a new White 2015 Vipa team frame on release last year January! What changed their policy? It sound like making money rather than keeping the fan base happy and loyal customers thats the real brand marketers satisfied :/

Thanks for the reply guys

I'am still a huge Momsen fan and really are bummed that I can't buy a new 2016 team frame separately :/ Still keeping my fingers crossed for a miracle though! Tried a few other options but just not the same! Sitting in a catch 22 position.

The weird thing is that my riding buddy bought a new White 2015 Vipa team frame on release last year January! What changed their policy? It sound like making money rather than keeping the fan base happy and loyal customers thats the real brand marketers satisfied :/

Hi Champ4C,

Whilst we understand that you are unhappy that you cannot buy a 2016 VIPA TEAM frame-kit - however we at no point created such an option in our line, either in our catalogue or on the website? Our website shows clearly the models we had on offer - some are now sold out and with the R/$ we will not be getting anymore for this season - unfortunate but a decision that was made. 

We made a decision back in March 2015 that we would be doing 2 very high-end VIPA COMPLETE BIKE models for 2016 - these have just arrived as the VIPA TEAM and VIPA TEAM LIMITED. At no point did we communicate or advertise that we will be doing a 2016 VIPA TEAM FRAME-KIT option? We cannot sell what we don't make/offer in our line?

Furthermore we have signed OEM agreements with all our key international partners ( Shimano, Sram, Fox Racing Shox, Stan's No Tubes etc etc etc ) - these agreements are to protect the brands from having people strip components off bikes and sell off as " leftovers". This is why we will never strip a frame to sell as an aftermarket item when it was originally offered as a complete bike and model in our line. I am sure you can understand this and that any of our Momsen Authorised Stockists would have communicated the same to you? 

Your point about a friend buying a 2015 VIPA TEAM is true - as for 2015 we offered the VIPA TEAM as a frame-kit.

As mentioned elsewhere in this post - we cannot just order 1 frame from the factory, we have to make " range decisions" and the market ( for the VIPA ) has moved from Frame Only ( in 2014 ) to COMPLETE BIKE options being preferred - this from both our dealers and end customers. 

We have plenty of 2015 VIPA Frames still in stock as well as a planned run of VIPA CUSTOM frames which will be ready in about 3 weeks time - your Authorised Stockist can assist you with pricing and sizes/qty availability on these?

Should you have any further queries - please send an e-mail to info@twowheelstrading.co.za and we will gladly try to assist should your dealer not be able to help. 

Hi Champ4C,

Whilst we understand that you are unhappy that you cannot buy a 2016 VIPA TEAM frame-kit - however we at no point created such an option in our line, either in our catalogue or on the website? Our website shows clearly the models we had on offer - some are now sold out and with the R/$ we will not be getting anymore for this season - unfortunate but a decision that was made. 

We made a decision back in March 2015 that we would be doing 2 very high-end VIPA COMPLETE BIKE models for 2016 - these have just arrived as the VIPA TEAM and VIPA TEAM LIMITED. At no point did we communicate or advertise that we will be doing a 2016 VIPA TEAM FRAME-KIT option? We cannot sell what we don't make/offer in our line?

Furthermore we have signed OEM agreements with all our key international partners ( Shimano, Sram, Fox Racing Shox, Stan's No Tubes etc etc etc ) - these agreements are to protect the brands from having people strip components off bikes and sell off as " leftovers". This is why we will never strip a frame to sell as an aftermarket item when it was originally offered as a complete bike and model in our line. I am sure you can understand this and that any of our Momsen Authorised Stockists would have communicated the same to you? 

Your point about a friend buying a 2015 VIPA TEAM is true - as for 2015 we offered the VIPA TEAM as a frame-kit.

As mentioned elsewhere in this post - we cannot just order 1 frame from the factory, we have to make " range decisions" and the market ( for the VIPA ) has moved from Frame Only ( in 2014 ) to COMPLETE BIKE options being preferred - this from both our dealers and end customers. 

We have plenty of 2015 VIPA Frames still in stock as well as a planned run of VIPA CUSTOM frames which will be ready in about 3 weeks time - your Authorised Stockist can assist you with pricing and sizes/qty availability on these?

Should you have any further queries - please send an e-mail to info@twowheelstrading.co.za and we will gladly try to assist should your dealer not be able to help. 

Thank you! Great answer and perfectly understood

Still just unfortunate not to be able to own a new Vipa. The complete bike is just to expensive for the general MTB fanatic and rider.

Would always stay a Momsen fan though :)

Perhaps change the title of the thread to something else.

I still dont see the topic as being a Customer service fail, and the agents kindly replied to the thread timeously, and on a saturday...pretty impressive customer service right here...

Perhaps Momsen Vipa Frame Only option disapointment.

I'm getting one of these custom frames in 3 weeks!!!

Glad to hear the 3 weeks from both Momsen & dealer.

Let the 3 weeks fly!!!