I have a pair I just received but havent used yet. I also have a pair of freeriders vxi. The contacts are very light in comparison. Also it has a nylon fabric around the body of the shoe. Seems like an awesome shoe and the fit is great.

I have a pair of these Freeriders. I don't know how they compare to the Contact, but the sole is very flexible and I don't really enjoy riding with them. I also have a pair of Impact VXi's and I would say they are much better suited for all mountain riding. 

I too have a pair of the Freeride canvas (not the contacts) and when combined with my DMR V8 flat pedals, they're absolutely fantastic and really give me that locked on the pedals feeling. Shifting your foot position laterally is difficulty though because they really grip. The contact version is meant to get around this I think with the smoother surface where you're normally make contact with pedal. 

I seldom stand and hammer the pedals for long enough to feel that they're too flexible or inefficient when compared to hardsoled XC clipless style shoes.

If I purchased again, I'd get the standard (non-contact) version again. The construction and quality looks good. I've only owned them for 3 months now. There are loads of reviews on net, overwhelmingly positive in general for fiveten shoes. 

I too have a pair of the Freeride canvas (not the contacts) and when combined with my DMR V8 flat pedals, they're absolutely fantastic and really give me that locked on the pedals feeling. Shifting your foot position laterally is difficulty though because they really grip. The contact version is meant to get around this I think with the smoother surface where you're normally make contact with pedal. 

even with the smoother surface in the area under the ball/mid of the foot, its still pretty darn hard moving the foot around on the pedal without unpeeling it completely. the stuff sticks like velcro and i love it.