Weight Issue - What to replace?

Kevlouw

Morning all,

So I bought a bike from the the classifieds in Dec 2015, and the bike means more to me than my car.

I read a thread recently about the weight issues on bikes and how to make it lighter, if possible. I am still new to all of this, and for me to go and change whatever, might cause more problems.

Yesterday I decided to put the bike on a digital scale, and I almost fainted. I know that I am a rookie, or even less, but the bike weight should surely have something to do with your ride.

The weight on the scale was showing as 17.5kg

Below is what I bought the bike with. Please suggest what I can possibly change to, in order for me to shed some kg's. 

Thanks

post-86302-0-33974100-1454492430_thumb.jpg

The Marz 66 is a beefy, beefy fork, as is the Van R & your crank. However - the 66 is a beautiful fork. I miss mine. Yes, you could drop 1.2kg by going for a fox 36 or a lyrik, but IMO that would be the wrong decision. That fork is... let's just leave it at this - you'd better not sell it. 

For the bike itself, that's actually a very respectable weight. The Pinn'r is a freeride / downhill bike and is built to withstand a beating. 

As Sakkie says, crank is heavyish, and you could save ~200g or so if you get an XT crank. Another place you could save weight is in the wheels. Those spanks are heavy, as are the Funns. By buying a set of Flows you could save approx 300g or so. 

But tbh dude - ride it until it breaks. It's a big hitting monster of a bike. 17kg is respectable, given the focus of the bike. 

That aint no cross country bike for starters...

What were you expecting for that type of bike?

Never knew about weight etc. when it comes to bikes. Learning as I go. 

Embrace the weight. That bike is meant to be pointed down.

I wouldn't waste a dime on trying to save weight.

If you have money to spare look into getting a hardtail as a second bike for longer rides. 

You are going to roll beautifully down hill with that weight  :thumbup:

Embrace the weight. That bike is meant to be pointed down.

I wouldn't waste a dime on trying to save weight.

If you have money to spare look into getting a hardtail as a second bike for longer rides. 

Haven't seen any proper downhill tracks in PTA. Would have loved to take it through to PMB where they have the downhill championships.

Question:  Did you buy it because you wanted a downhill/trail sort of bike or because you know nothing about bikes and it looked cool?
Are you going to be doing any downhill or are you more of a XC rider?

If you're not going to use it as a downhill bike, I'd suggest selling it and getting something lighter to start with.

Hakahana?

Just checked the website. Will definitely be going there soon.

Question:  Did you buy it because you wanted a downhill/trail sort of bike or because you know nothing about bikes and it looked cool?

Are you going to be doing any downhill or are you more of a XC rider?

If you're not going to use it as a downhill bike, I'd suggest selling it and getting something lighter to start with.

Wanted a downhill bike. It's not the best looking bike, but it's pretty decent, and the price was very good.

Just checked the website. Will definitely be going there soon.

Wanted a downhill bike. It's not the best looking bike, but it's pretty decent, and the price was very good.

Then the weight is spot on. You *could* get it lower, but it'll cost. This machine will serve you very, very well.