Correct Size MTB

JuddMan

Hey Guys,

Just a quick one, I have had a look through the forums and cant find much on the topic.

I need to know what the difference would be between a 27.5 inch wheel and 29 inch wheel for my size, which is 1.93m. I just need to know if I should strictly stay to a 29er due to my height, or if a 27.5 will do just as well for my size?

If you have a link to article which answers my question, please let me have it.

*I am NOT asking for the pro's and con's between the two, or which one does what, as that has been discussed at length in previous threads and I'm not gonna be responsible for creating an argument :ph34r:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wheel size doesn't matter when it comes to bike size (remember we all rode 26" a few years back)

What matters are;

1. overall rider length

2. rider inseam measurement

3. rider reach (bike stem etc.)

I'm 1.72 and fall squarely in between a S and M, but due to my inseam I settled on a M.

http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-training/how-to-fit-yourself-on-a-mountain-bike-like-a-pro/

http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer/mountain-bike  

As long as you get the correct size FRAME and the effective TopTube is correct for you the size of the wheels does NOT matter ... at least that is my take

As long as you get the correct size FRAME and the effective TopTube is correct for you the size of the wheels does NOT matter ... at least that is my take

agree. Choose wheel size what you prefer

Ok great.

I haven't really had a fitting or had my size determined by inseam measurement etc. I have just had a few salesmen take one look at me and say an XL frame is needed. Sound correct?

Your height determines frame size.

Your type of riding determines wheel size.

I would agree that XL frame for your height.

I am as tall as you and ride 27.5 wheels but a Xl frame,wheels size is not the issue its the size of frame you choose.

Your height determines frame size.

Your type of riding determines wheel size.

I would agree that XL frame for your height.

Thanks!

I am as tall as you and ride 27.5 wheels but a Xl frame,wheels size is not the issue its the size of frame you choose.

Great :thumbup:

What made you choose 27.5?

I have just had a few salesmen take one look at me and say an XL frame is needed. Sound correct?

Yes.

Hey Guys,

Just a quick one, I have had a look through the forums and cant find much on the topic.

I need to know what the difference would be between a 27.5 inch wheel and 29 inch wheel for my size, which is 1.93m. I just need to know if I should strictly stay to a 29er due to my height, or if a 27.5 will do just as well for my size?

If you have a link to article which answers my question, please let me have it.

*I am NOT asking for the pro's and con's between the two, or which one does what, as that has been discussed at length in previous threads and I'm not gonna be responsible for creating an argument :ph34r:

Exactly same height as you, with a 90 cm inseam. Don't even consider Large frame. Go XL( or 22 inch depending on make) according to some sizing charts 193 is right on top end of L or bottom end of XL, so some may be tempted to try and fit you on a L. Not worth it. XL is going to be much more relaxed.

Wheel size is personal preference. Mine is 29er which I enjoy. If I was 20 years younger and 20 kg lighter a 27.5 might have been more fun.

Exactly same height as you, with a 90 cm inseam. Don't even consider Large frame. Go XL( or 22 inch depending on make) according to some sizing charts 193 is right on top end of L or bottom end of XL, so some may be tempted to try and fit you on a L. Not worth it. XL is going to be much more relaxed.

Wheel size is personal preference. Mine is 29er which I enjoy. If I was 20 years younger and 20 kg lighter a 27.5 might have been more fun.

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

I do weigh quite a bit (119kg). Would that make much of a difference with wheel size selection? 

I do weigh quite a bit (119kg). Would that make much of a difference with wheel size selection? 

No, just choice of wheels and how they're built. IE: No ZTR Crest or similar narrow weenie wheels, and get them built properly. 

You have to consider budgeting for a custom made wheelset as well. Something like hope hubs with flow-x rims.