Interview: Manuel Fumic

Nick

Manuel Fumic has been racing professionally for well over a decade and has been a regular on the cross country World Cup circuit. He does much of his pre-season training in Cape Town and was most recently in Stellenbosch to train with German national team ahead of the Olympics later this year. We chatted to Fumic about the World Cup events, his approach to mountain biking, training in South Africa, this year's Absa Cape Epic and how he believes young riders should be approaching the sport.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He hit the nail on the head:

What your impressions of the general level of riding in South Africa?

In terms of technical skills, many South African riders are struggling. Yes, they can climb really well but once they go down, they stiffen up and jump straight onto the brakes. I can’t understand it because there are so many nice trails in South Africa and it should come naturally. It seems there is still very much a road mentality. Build up your base and then maybe once on the weekend you go on the trails.

Another brilliant little quote:

Riding with baggies. What is the story behind this?

I don’t see why people put themselves into bib shorts when they don’t even have the shape for it. You can see that some people don’t feel comfortable and after the ride they go have coffee or a beer. It is not like they are professional racers fighting for position at the front of the World Cup races. I have had people come up to me and say that I have made mountain biking fun again in their eyes.

He hit the nail on the head:

What your impressions of the general level of riding in South Africa?

In terms of technical skills, many South African riders are struggling. Yes, they can climb really well but once they go down, they stiffen up and jump straight onto the brakes. I can’t understand it because there are so many nice trails in South Africa and it should come naturally. It seems there is still very much a road mentality. Build up your base and then maybe once on the weekend you go on the trails.

He could have added - get some damn skills training or at least read up and watch some videos ...

I used to like him but now he sounds like an arrogant douche!

Lerouc, I think it is more a case of lost in translation and his German nationality.

I used to like him but now he sounds like an arrogant douche!

Lerouc, I think it is more a case of lost in translation and his German nationality.

And my paraphrasing. I had to piece the conversation together into something readable.

He was very likeable in person.

I enjoyed that he wasn't too concerned about holding back on his opinions - he would fit in well on Bike Hub ;)

And my paraphrasing. I had to piece the conversation together into something readable.

He was very likeable in person.

I enjoyed that he wasn't too concerned about holding back on his opinions - he would fit in well on Bike Hub ;)

Yes that sounds like Manuel,

Also remember he learn hees a English from a boook

Please do elaborate.

see below

so you don't fit so lekker into bibs?

yes

The truth hurts eh?

yes

Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to find baggy shorts that fit a bigger person. I know one would think its easier to find but its not. Theres a moerse gap in the market for fatter guys clothes. Yeah off the topic, but i love my beer and i even love my brandy and coke even more, i am build like a Province Prop but i love cycling almost as much as i love my brandewyn so i will never fit into avg cycling sized clothes...

But i guess i am by far in the minority on this forum, but i am also happy knowing that when i cycle up table mountain (and a pace where runners go past me) that the tsotsi will rather let me go past and wait for a smaller person than trying his luck with me.

Another brilliant little quote:

Riding with baggies. What is the story behind this?

I don’t see why people put themselves into bib shorts when they don’t even have the shape for it. You can see that some people don’t feel comfortable and after the ride they go have coffee or a beer. It is not like they are professional racers fighting for position at the front of the World Cup races. I have had people come up to me and say that I have made mountain biking fun again in their eyes.

I tuned him on twitter as well...

Edited by lerouc