Interview: Manuel Fumic

Nick

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found him quite friendly when riding up Chapman's Peak. Although having said that, I might not have heard him telling to f off due to me only being able to hear my heart pounding in my ears...

I think his point was more to do with people feeling they have to wear lycra when they don't feel comfortable in that type of gear and the impact that has in scaring them from the sport. It don't believe that it was a broad swipe at lycra wearers.

uhuh

uhuh

you have to admit, bro - lycra is not the most flattering of outfits. He has a very good point. Plus, baggies are far more protective than lycra. And you don't look like a knob when going for coffee or sitting down at a restaurant... 

you have to admit, bro - lycra is not the most flattering of outfits. He has a very good point. Plus, baggies are far more protective than lycra. And you don't look like a knob when going for coffee or sitting down at a restaurant... 

yeah i do agree, ive been cycling so long i dont mind wear lycra anymore. and the bonus is i dont cycle with mirrors so its not like i see my fat ass all the time  :w00t:

uhuh

I sat in on the interview in person. His sentiment was plainly that people should wear what they feel comfortable in and not just go with the generally held expectation that bicycle = tight, generally unflattering lycra.

I'd suggest joining in on the Cannondale ride with him to form your own opinion, but he's one of the most personable and likeable pros I've met.

I sat in on the interview in person. His sentiment was plainly that people should wear what they feel comfortable in and not just go with the generally held expectation that bicycle = tight, generally unflattering lycra.

I'd suggest joining in on the Cannondale ride with him to form your own opinion, but he's one of the most personable and likeable pros I've met.

okay okay, his coolness has been restored, he replied to my tweet saying my coffee is on him. apparently he is a cool guy everyone says. (twitter acting up, tried to post the reply here.

see below

yes

yes

Do you guys have any idea how hard it is to find baggy shorts that fit a bigger person. I know one would think its easier to find but its not. Theres a moerse gap in the market for fatter guys clothes. Yeah off the topic, but i love my beer and i even love my brandy and coke even more, i am build like a Province Prop but i love cycling almost as much as i love my brandewyn so i will never fit into avg cycling sized clothes...

But i guess i am by far in the minority on this forum, but i am also happy knowing that when i cycle up table mountain (and a pace where runners go past me) that the tsotsi will rather let me go past and wait for a smaller person than trying his luck with me.

Isn't I have seen plenty Indola XXXL baggies.. plus you can always just wear a pair of normal shorts over your lycra [emoji12]

Fumic is way cool.. I have missed him at the Epic. .. him and Fontana bring so much fun to everything .. pity no Fontana this year.

Plus their baggies look awesome????

Edited by Gen

we need some more of this mindset locally too!

Do you hang out with the downhill riders when there is a joint event?

We are big fans of the downhill riders and they are fans of our riding. Greg Minnaar is always going crazy on the start finish area screaming like hell. There was a big gap between the two disciplines previously but there is a community now. They are proper competitive riders and they are doing a lot of fitness and now have an idea of what the cross country riders do.

we need some more of this mindset locally too!

Do you hang out with the downhill riders when there is a joint event?

We are big fans of the downhill riders and they are fans of our riding. Greg Minnaar is always going crazy on the start finish area screaming like hell. There was a big gap between the two disciplines previously but there is a community now. They are proper competitive riders and they are doing a lot of fitness and now have an idea of what the cross country riders do.

hey Hairy, we used to hang out, see on you the mountain

And my paraphrasing. I had to piece the conversation together into something readable.

He was very likeable in person.

I enjoyed that he wasn't too concerned about holding back on his opinions - he would fit in well on Bike Hub ;)

Nick

Exactly my thoughts, I went cycling with Germans for a week in France and they were very nice, in fact make more of an effort to keep in touch than what I do.

with the solar PV plants in our region I work with Spanish nationals and my experience is exactly the same, great people!

If any one need CFR Cannondale baggys give us a shout. and we will be bringing the big sizes in again.

What sizes do you currently have? and price?

I don't think he is an arrogant douche, his views are mostly spot on.

I don't agree with his baggie pant views (all 97kgs of me looks amazing in bib shorts with the nice balance of hair between chest and back), but our roads are rough compared to European roads and our technical skills tend to suck. South African's tend to be too focused on long-distance endurance events on jeep track at best, rather than real bike skills on single track. I was recently in Europe and New Zealand and was completely taken aback by the skill levels there and just their whole approach.

Lots of teenage girls and boys (14 or 16 years old), flying off 1-2 meter high drop-offs on world class downhill tracks, easy clearing 8-10 meters before landing on off-camber clay and mud, and then straight into the next one or a monster rock garden. Families with Mom and Dad riding enduro with skill like I have perhaps seen 2-3 guys ride in Stellenbosch.

Also, very few 29ers, most 140-160mm 650b or 26er bikes, full face helmets, knee and elbow pads.

I thought I was a hard-core Stellenbosch charger. After a day or two I realized I am an off-road cyclist.

Almost didn't recognize him without the beard.

Must agree that most of us (South African's) suck with our technical skills (obviously this includes me), but a skills course is brilliant (the little things you learn makes a big difference).

At least my wife loves the Lycra I wear, but not nearly brave enough to stop at a restaurant and have coffee while wearing it.

The mtb'ers in Cape Town must enjoy the ride with him.