Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates

Bicyclegear

It is so good to feel welcome on great trails that have been off limits for so long...

Well done Pedal Power Association and ‪#‎cityofcapetown‬ for opening up part of the Constantia greenbelt and river environs to the mountain biking community.

The trail reminds me of the "spruit" in Johannesburg from 20 years back. I am sure this new trail will become just as popular. The riding is very accessible to to all levels. The flats are flowing and fast, while further up the mountain there are good strenuous climbs.

My highlight is the drop-in and switchbacks at the "Southern Cross Drive" trailhead!

Have you ridden the trail yet?

Edited by Iwan Kemp

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys

Yup, the new Green belt trails are really a fantastic addition. Really great fun !

As Myles Says, please lets treat all trail users with massive respect.

So DO NOT go sneaking up on dog walkers, runners etc and scare the hell out of them.

Please announce yourself courteously and slow down to an acceptable speed.

Please remember this is available to MTB's on a trial basis for one year......if we act like chops it will be off limits again.

Please enjoy but be responsible.

Thanks

Rode them this morning, from Southern Cross down to Tokai and back.

Really nice to have some trails which one can ride legally within easy distance.

I think everyone who rides those trails should be giving huge kudos to everyone involved in making it happen. Big thank you.

I met several dog walkers and runners, all very pleasant.

I slowed down, they held their dog where they thought it necessary and we all exchanged good mornings and hello's.

The trails are in great condition and fun to ride in both directions.

I think the only room for improvement would be that some of the road to dirt transitions are a bit brutal with squared off kerbs and deep storm channels. Thats a minor thing though, and I understand a difficult one to change.

As I was riding alone I did feel a little bit vulnerable on the bit next to the highway, especially going under the flyover with the tall reeds on either side..My Garmin shows I gave it a bit of extra gas through that section.

All in all though a great asset to have on our doorstep.

So Myles...when we doing an after work session? ;)

I gotta find some place to ride around Tokai after work instead of heading all the way home first :S

Yep. Haven't ridden all available trails, but I do ride them as part of my "home loop" when I need to do a quick hour / 90 minute ride from home. Lekker fun, as long as you take care to treat other trail users with respect, and don't be a dick... 

It's a welcome retreat, it must be said. 

So Myles...when we doing an after work session? ;)

I gotta find some place to ride around Tokai after work instead of heading all the way home first :S

LOL. I need to get home to ride them... Work in century city. But I was thinking of checking out the ones I haven't yet ridden this weekend (Sunday, to be exact) or doing another mission somewhere else. 

LOL. I need to get home to ride them... Work in century city. But I was thinking of checking out the ones I haven't yet ridden this weekend (Sunday, to be exact) or doing another mission somewhere else. 

Nice man, lemme know, looking for a ride Sunday. Even Hoogies would be OK ;)

This will be fun in March. Whereabouts do you join the trail if you're riding from Tokai?

Either from the lower forest loop, in the bottom corner (closest to freeway and Lakeside) over the bridge, left at the t junction and you'll see the path peeling off to the right. 

Or, go down Lismore avenue (off Tokai Road) Right into Birchwood, then into the park at the t junction, and peel off to the left. From there, hug the freeway all the way through to Peddlars. You'll have to cross one of the roads, but the path continues all the way through. 

Where does it start? parking?

Depending on where you wanting to start... but we usually park at the Bike Park in Uitsig.

Begging all to keep to the legal trails otherwise it could be over before it got out the starting block

A trail map would be nice if anyone has recorded it on Garmin or Strava or somethig?

I have very little idea where to start let alone where to ride :S Seemingly I am not alone either

Begging all to keep to the legal trails otherwise it could be over before it got out the starting block

zigactly...this section has been ridden for yonks, but is not part of the legal bit AFAIK

from TMB fb page

The local residents in the vicinity of the Klaasenbosch Trail are dealing with rogue cyclists that are ignoring the no cycling signs and telling the other users to F Off! Signage is being removed. 

The residents are still being as friendly as they can be , despite the situation, but they are now considering other options, such as getting private security guards in to sit at the trail entrances.They are also wanting to involve the council. If that happens, this trail sharing agreement everyone has worked so hard for could be null and void, before it even gets past the trial period.We can't let that happen.

Please do the right thing.

A trail map would be nice if anyone has recorded it on Garmin or Strava or somethig?

I have very little idea where to start let alone where to ride :S Seemingly I am not alone either

also from TMB fb page

12687799_948484805200261_15868857760324712744325_948484831866925_19682761610363312744490_948484855200256_529436619767172