Constantia Greenbelt Trail news and updates

Bicyclegear

Damn just got bitten by a dog while Mntbiking on the Greenbelt trail just below the Lower Tokai park entrance.A woman with 4 dogs all off lead walking in the path I stopped to let her passed ...as I started riding again one of the mutts runs up behind me and gafs me on the ankle and then my calf...I shout to the woman "hey lady control your dogs"..she shouts back" don't worry they don't bite"
I go over and show her the bleeding holes in my leg All of a sudden her english is not so good and she is apologizing in a Russian accent .Who's going to pay for my Tet shot I ask...."is littledog no worry for injection."
Yeah right so my Ride ended and I spent the afternoon waiting for tetanus shot in emergency rooms instead.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn just got bitten by a dog while Mntbiking on the Greenbelt trail just below the Lower Tokai park entrance.A woman with 4 dogs all off lead walking in the path I stopped to let her passed ...as I started riding again one of the mutts runs up behind me and gafs me on the ankle and then my calf...I shout to the woman "hey lady control your dogs"..she shouts back" don't worry they don't bite"

I go over and show her the bleeding holes in my leg All of a sudden her english is not so good and she is apologizing in a Russian accent .Who's going to pay for my Tet shot I ask...."is littledog no worry for injection."

Yeah right so my Ride ended and I spent the afternoon waiting for tetanus shot in emergency rooms instead.

Just tell her you will report the dog to spca and they can decide what action to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear, Howard. As if the size of the dog had anything to do with the requirement for a tetanus shot. Lok

Howzit Myles ..LOL yes..   major  inconvenience was out to do the full Newlands section added onto the Greenbelt for the first time getting out early and all.I actually carried on passed pedlars ,but it was still bleeding so i decided to go home and disinfect...Of course the wife insisted i go  off to the emergency rooms for a Tet  shot.

Agg well there's always tomorrow

Edited by HowardSteele

That was only a matter of time, I'm just surprised it wasn't on the Silverhurst section as I seem to get chased by somebody's pet bloody werewolf pretty much every time I have been through there.

That was only a matter of time, I'm just surprised it wasn't on the Silverhurst section as I seem to get chased by somebody's pet bloody werewolf pretty much every time I have been through there.

I'm a dog owner and spend most of my ride greeting the dogs and exchanging pleasentries  with the owners(ok some dog owners are just to grumpy to respond,but they are few,the dogs are usually friendlier than the owners) ...I have been riding the trail for over a year now 3-4 times a week and until now with no unpleasant incidents.It was a young dog and she (the owner)should deffinatlly been keeping a better eye on it. Also one person walking 4 dogs off lead in a public area ,your dogs have to be reasonably obedient to pull that off ,So hopefully the owner has realized this and she'll take better precautions next time,

H

Edited by HowardSteele

I'm a dog owner and spend most of my ride greeting the dogs and exchanging pleasentries  with the owners(ok some dog owners are just to grumpy to respond,but they are few,the dogs are usually friendlier than the owners) ...I have been riding the trail for over a year now 3-4 times a week and until now with no unpleasant incidents.It was a young dog and she (the owner)should deffinatlly been keeping a better eye on it. Also one person walking 4 dogs off lead in a public area ,your dogs have to be reasonably obedient to pull that off ,So hopefully the owner has realized this and she'll take better precautions next time,

H

Sorry to hear this, Howard but it does remind me of a Peter Sellers classic:

On seeing person with dog....PS "Does your dog bite?"

"No my dog does not bite"

PS bends down to pet dog...promptly bitten on the hand...

PS "I though you said your dog does not bite!"

"That is not my dog!" :w00t:

Edited by capediver

Sorry to hear this, Howard but it does remind me of a Peter Sellers classic:

On seeing person with dog....PS "Does your dog bite?"

"No my dog does not bite"

PS bends down to pet dog...promptly bitten on the hand...

PS "I though you said your dog does not bite!"

"That is not my dog!" :w00t:

Ha ha ...I thought of that too....And the woman reminded me of the Russian Barlady on Shameless.

We did the full Clockwise  Newlands extension yesterday added onto the greenbelt ...Starting Tokai at the Brockerway park entrance  we headed straight up the Greenbelt trail and across into Cecilia forest at the top of Southern Cross drive .That first 1km climb is a morning challenger but then its pretty straight forward with undulating scenic views along the Contour path.The Single track sections are great and the Kirstenbosch section is awesome.

We greeted some hikers before the turnoff  at the last section and missed the last single track turnoff...just before the portage.Only at the bottom of the gravel road did we realize oops so it was a bit of a climb back to that point.

In my opinion the portage section will have to be reviewed ...climbing rocky path in cleats is already showing wear and tear.

At the end instead of returning  the way we came we did sidewalk sections to Kirstenbosch via the Kirstenbosch caffee for a cold coke ....Then  the lower Kirstenbosch  loop and onto the extended Corktree section.

From there all the way down the green belt to home I got 35ks but it's about 4 ks less without our detours and spent around 3 hours in the saddle.

What a great ride

Edited by HowardSteele

I got bitten by a young ridge back a month back. Also off leash.

Don't blame the dog at all, but dog owner lady apologized and said dog nips at cyclists.

Got angry and rode off.

Why cant they keep the dog on a leash if they know that its going to bite someone.

Other than that though, I love the new sections.

I  hit a black Labrador near the Silverhurst section of the greenbelt on a blind corner who was running at full pace - no owner in site. 

Broke my front Derailleur in the fall  and a bit sore on one elbow.

Going to Cost me R430 for the part  :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Encountered some obstacles placed by presumably a disgruntled hater of all things MTB at the top of the Constantia Greenbelt near top of Southern Cross Drive when I was descending at about 7pm last night.  Be careful and watchful out there.

post-96713-0-08293400-1484216886_thumb.jpg