Pretoria East weekend Group rides

Vetplant

Quick Background

Since the age of 6 I have always been on my bike, mostly MTB.

I recently acquired my first Road bike for use in Triathlons/Duathlons (The MTB with slicks worked fine, but I quickly realised I am at a definite disadvantage)

So..., I have been out for a couple of rides on the road but I realise you are much more vulnerable, because on a MTB you could easily take evasive action to the gravel if things get hairy, no such luxury on a road bike.

I assume some of the group rides on weekends have support vehicles that tend to keep things relatively safe. My main requirement is to be as safe as possible on the road, have a wife and 5-month old at home that I need to keep in mind. Cradle is obviously the safest setup in GP, but I commute 100km every day of the week, don't really want to do it over weekends as well if I can avoid it.

Main point

I am looking to join a group ride in PTA East over weekends. I will definitely look to join a club in future, but have no idea where to start looking.

We live in Erasmuskloof, so finding a group that starts close to home would be ideal, but it is not really make or break to be around the corner.

Question:

Are there group rides in Pta East where I can just pitch without being an actual club member?

Where are the starting points located?

Which of these would be the safest if you look at their route/support etc?

Appreciate any feedback

Thanks guys & gals

Quick Background

Since the age of 6 I have always been on my bike, mostly MTB.

I recently acquired my first Road bike for use in Triathlons/Duathlons (The MTB with slicks worked fine, but I quickly realised I am at a definite disadvantage)

So..., I have been out for a couple of rides on the road but I realise you are much more vulnerable, because on a MTB you could easily take evasive action to the gravel if things get hairy, no such luxury on a road bike.

I assume some of the group rides on weekends have support vehicles that tend to keep things relatively safe. My main requirement is to be as safe as possible on the road, have a wife and 5-month old at home that I need to keep in mind. Cradle is obviously the safest setup in GP, but I commute 100km every day of the week, don't really want to do it over weekends as well if I can avoid it.

Main point

I am looking to join a group ride in PTA East over weekends. I will definitely look to join a club in future, but have no idea where to start looking.

We live in Erasmuskloof, so finding a group that starts close to home would be ideal, but it is not really make or break to be around the corner.

Question:

Are there group rides in Pta East where I can just pitch without being an actual club member?

Where are the starting points located?

Which of these would be the safest if you look at their route/support etc?

Appreciate any feedback

Thanks guys & gals

Look at Velo cycling club and Select cycling club both are active in the east with backup cars

I ride in the east, but not as part of a club.

I see Velo, Concept cyclery (Lynnwood) and Cycle lab often on these routes.

There's also another group (small though) with a car, but I don't know who they are.

Join the Pretoria East MTB Facebook group (Pembi's) and post this message there. Not a club but almost 4,000 members, you're sure to find some like minded folks there. If you're fast you'll find several Top 10 race finishers there and if you're not ... you'll find the rest of us there :-).

Most of the clubs & bike shops are on there as well and post their rides.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/134361270058168/

Edited by Trackz