Huddle Park

StuRat

Go to Huddle Trails group on Facebook-

big discussion there & they respond-

Not just Huddle full of walkers with attitude (some of them) on MTB trails-

also Modders, Cradle Moon (bad), Wolwespruit, Red Barn, etc

Seems these land owners make more money from walkers who walk less distance than MTBers ride, and who also spend maybe more money with more ppl at the restaurants etc

I know Wolwe had politics and what happened there. 

Just me ranting........Was at Huddle Park 3 weeks ago and my oh my what a disaster!

What was so interesting about how many people with dogs, prams and kids were wondering on the bike trails.

To add to that, there were so many un-leashed dogs running around that they actually cause quite an obstacle when trying to ride.

I can see why the number of cyclists making use of the trails is dwindling down. I saw a total of 4 other cyclists on the trails.

If i can remember, the rule was that all dogs are to be on a leash which looks like is no longer the case. It's not like there is limited space for everybody to make use of. There are dedicated trails for each discipline.

I must say that i was very disappointed in the lack of control exercised by the dog walkers that i will not be heading back to Huddle Park again. You pay R50 to play dodge the dog, pram or walker.... no thank you  :thumbdown:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday afternoon I lost a Nespresso coffee cup, which fell off my bike's rear cage  - probably on the long descent, but it could have been anywhere on the trails I guess . It has sentimental value to me.

If anyone sees it, please pick it up and let me know? many thanks. Greatly appreciated.

Edited by Harryn

Wasn’t impressed with the trails the first time round and still not impressed now.

I understand that they have limited space to cram a lot of trail into but some of what they did makes no sense. The signage is ok but to get any kind of good ride out of it you need to do some serious exploring.

Won't go back to Huddlepark because of 2 things:

1) Poorly managed overall. Dog walkers, Hikers and Riders all using the same trails. Dogs and kids all over the place.

2) Trail quality overall is below par for the money you pay.

Won't go back to Huddlepark because of 2 things:

1) Poorly managed overall. Dog walkers, Hikers and Riders all using the same trails. Dogs and kids all over the place.

There's a thread on here about how to properly ride over a tiny dog if that helps?

I've been enjoying it regularly with on my own (very safe) riding and running, with friends and with the children. Convenient and safe. It's amazing that the kids can even do there own thing - but there does need to be some adult supervision - I've seen a few kids doing the trails in reverse, which is not so clever especially in the forest section. The trail maintenance has been amazing. They've put a lot of effort into maintaining what's there already, putting new bridges in where needed and they're busy with 3 new paths at the top corner. And the walking paths are also looking amazing now. Wide and nicely cut and graded. There are some really beautiful gems along the way. Not the biggest place, but that's generally how bike parks are. I rode Big Red Barn last week and wow, there's a lot of trail in such a small place. You never actually go anywhere.

Been having fun on the single track in the forest section and some quality work on the hills. You can get a really good workout at Huddle in my opinion. I generally get lucky with timing that it's not too busy. Every now and then there are stupid walkers and dogs on the dedicated mtb paths, but not too often and it's easy enough to go around them when they don't move. Annoying, but manageable.

Great opportunity for a bike shop in that area - I've been thinking about it for a while. I hear there's something coming hopefully.

But they do seem more interested in dog walkers - heard about a kid on a bike being bitten earlier in the year, and that management was only concerned about the dog walkers because they bring in more money.

I find that even when I have been there when the car parks are full, the mtb trails are still generally quite quiet and enjoyable.

There's a thread on here about how to properly ride over a tiny dog if that helps?

I shouldn't have but i did laugh at this

Only applicable to Delta park. Different approach needed for private property.

Also funny

I've been enjoying it regularly with on my own (very safe) riding and running, with friends and with the children. Convenient and safe. It's amazing that the kids can even do there own thing - but there does need to be some adult supervision - I've seen a few kids doing the trails in reverse, which is not so clever especially in the forest section. The trail maintenance has been amazing. They've put a lot of effort into maintaining what's there already, putting new bridges in where needed and they're busy with 3 new paths at the top corner. And the walking paths are also looking amazing now. Wide and nicely cut and graded. There are some really beautiful gems along the way. Not the biggest place, but that's generally how bike parks are. I rode Big Red Barn last week and wow, there's a lot of trail in such a small place. You never actually go anywhere.

Been having fun on the single track in the forest section and some quality work on the hills. You can get a really good workout at Huddle in my opinion. I generally get lucky with timing that it's not too busy. Every now and then there are stupid walkers and dogs on the dedicated mtb paths, but not too often and it's easy enough to go around them when they don't move. Annoying, but manageable.

Great opportunity for a bike shop in that area - I've been thinking about it for a while. I hear there's something coming hopefully.

We also enjoy huddle, mostly stick to the forest and the uphill leading back to the intersection at the top for fitness and we finish off with the outside ring back to the parking lot.

But they do seem more interested in dog walkers - heard about a kid on a bike being bitten earlier in the year, and that management was only concerned about the dog walkers because they bring in more money.

I was bitten (nipped) by a dog that was not on a leash about 18 months ago and the lady who's dog it was didn't even have the decency to see if i was ok. She was so busy chatting to her friend that she was totally oblivious to what her dog was actually getting up to.

I reported it to the guy that was in charge in the golf shop and he just said he will look into it but the woman who's dog it was was actually one of the wives of the main members of the Huddle. Whatever that meant. 

I was bitten (nipped) by a dog that was not on a leash about 18 months ago and the lady who's dog it was didn't even have the decency to see if i was ok. She was so busy chatting to her friend that she was totally oblivious to what her dog was actually getting up to.

I reported it to the guy that was in charge in the golf shop and he just said he will look into it but the woman who's dog it was was actually one of the wives of the main members of the Huddle. Whatever that meant. 

This is what annoys me most about the trails at the GC's their "Memebrs" can get away with everything due to the exorbitant price they pay for a membership.

It's right about then that I remove the dog's teeth using my shoe and cleat. Then it can only gum you.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a good ride there today. Trails are looking good. Had fun on the berms and the forest section loops are good fun. Circle loop out to end off. The lady with the dog on the mtb trail with the dog.. on the little bridge thing.. that was dumb.. was either me or her and glad she jumped out the way.