Argus on an MTB

madbradd

So due to a certain series of events I'll be doing Argus this year on my MTB not my road bike. So a couple of questions...

1. How badly will my tyres get eaten? Racing Ralph Snakeskins. 

2. What sort of tyre pressure should I run at?

3. What should be my earliest start group given that I'm on an MTB? (This is obviously as a courtesy to the hardcore roadies...)

Edit: Anything else I should be wary of?

Edited by madbradd

Welcome to your first CTCT

Regarding Point 3: You are designated to a group, please start in that group :nuke:

Done three CTCT's on mtb. Used slicks once, other times knobblies.

Schwalbe tires don't do well on long road rides. They'll be ok, but don't expect there to be much left after the race.

I normally pump my tires pretty hard with floor pump. Over 3 bar. Lowers rolling resistance quite significantly.

Schwalbe tyres wear very very very very (get it..?) fast on tar.

If you were running a tyre with a very hard compound like Maxxiss Ardent then I'd say go for it, but in this case you're going to be better off changing to slicks, RR SS tyres are crazy expensive.

Also, most MTB tyres will specify a max pressure of 4bar on the sidewall. However, more important is to look at your rim. For example - ZTR Crest rims specify max pressures based on tyre width. If I remember correctly if you run 2" tyres you can only pump them 2bar..

Edited by cpelser

MTB slicks are not expensive these days...

Recently got some kendas for under R400 for the set.

And dont bother with slime in the tubes etc.

The route is not bad at all

You will roll easier on slicks

I've done 3 on my mtb with mtb tyres. Ardent upfront and crossmark at the back. Will be doing it with my wife this year and she will be on mtb tyres as well. I have a pair of slicks which i might throw onto her bike just to make it a bit easier for her but jeeze have you seen how k@k a mtb looks with slicks? I will never do that to my mtb. AND i love wizing past roadies and you hear the bees singing from my knobblies on the tar.  :w00t:

Shot guys.

Looks like I need to make a plan with tyres then.... will be the second Argus/CTCT btw, but last one was on the road bike. Will see where I get seeded, rode a 2:53 on the fast one (on the road bike) from group H due to late entry..... but may not even need to worry about dropping back.