Jaco Venter claims his first SA Road Championship title

News bot

Jaco Venter (Dimension Data for Qhubeka) delivered a 10 kilometre solo charge to claim the victory in the Elite Men’s road race at the 2016 South African National Road, Time Trial and Para-cycling Championships in a hot and humid Westville, KwaZulu-Natal, today.

Click here to view the article

What about this??

.@TeamDiData @Cycling_SA can somebody pls explain why @LouisMeintjes won nationals '14 as u23 and @StefandBd doesn't get silver? #SAChamps

Agree ! They should also have a podium pic with the 1st three riders across the line. Top tours show the 1 st three and then show the young rider category.

What about this??

.@TeamDiData @Cycling_SA can somebody pls explain why @LouisMeintjes won nationals '14 as u23 and @StefandBd doesn't get silver? #SAChamps

Ahhh this story again.

I actually don't believe that a u23 should be able to win elites, different categories. But only my opinion.

They should have cleared this in '14 and the rules should be crystal clear? Anybody have the rules?

The best cyclist of the championship has to go to Stefan de Bod. He won both the U23 road and TT champs but in doing so finished 2nd in on both occasion in the "open" race and two 2 separate elites!!! If it was a points based system he won the elites over the 2 competitions too..

This is after winning the 94.7 last year yet even after winning the Junior road champs was excluded in the same year by the National selectors for the SA worlds team.

I trust Douglas Ryder will be aiming too move this young man to the DD World tour team shortly, while looking after him for the long term. Stefan is a Class act something I indicated to him, about 5 years ago when I rode a team team trail with him (think he was still U14) - his power through high cadence just meant going far and fast - and that was then already!!!

Edited by Icycling

This is after winning the 94.7 last year yet even after winning the Junior road champs was excluded in the same year by the National selectors for the SA worlds team.

are you 100% sure he was excluded by the selectors or did his parents make him unavailable for selection?

are you 100% sure he was excluded by the selectors or did his parents make him unavailable for selection?

My recollection is his father was 100% devastated by his exclusion from the team!

Edited by Icycling

My recollection is his father was 100% devastated by his exclusion from the team!

oh ok that clears that up then, I Was under the impression that he was withdrawn by his parents to focus on his studies at the time, might be some other insignificant race, if so was probably a contributing factor in the selectors decision?

in all sporting events that I partake in there is an overall and then the categories. If you place in the overall you get the overall acknowledgment and then the category acknowledgements. with both Elites and U23 in the same race it should be shown that the U23's placed (because they did).

Even in Golf at a pro am you can win being an amateur and placed on the podium, but you are not paid the prize money (another story).

The juniors or U23's are the future for the sport and their achievements should be celebrated not brushed under the rug. I think that a second place prize in the Elites is just if not more motivation than only receiving the winner for U23's.