Cradle Mountain Trophy

LONE TWO

Has anyone does this event, its looks like fun but want to know peoples thoughts. Is it a team event or solo?

Looks very similar to Route 66, which actually went down this weekend gone past.

Website looks very similar as well.... mmmmm

Also looks like it shares some of the same trails.

Route 66 was lots of fun - only did the mini experience i.e. one day event on Sunday (60km). Heard some horror stories from people that did all three days, especially day 1...

If Cradle Mountain Trophy is same organisers as Route 66 then I'd imagine it will be well organised and executed. 

Think this one will be solo category only.

Will probably enter as it looks like a nice pre-Sani ride.

Looks very similar to Route 66, which actually went down this weekend gone past.

Website looks very similar as well.... mmmmm

Also looks like it shares some of the same trails.

Route 66 was lots of fun - only did the mini experience i.e. one day event on Sunday (60km). Heard some horror stories from people that did all three days, especially day 1...

If Cradle Mountain Trophy is same organisers as Route 66 then I'd imagine it will be well organised and executed. 

Think this one will be solo category only.

Will probably enter as it looks like a nice pre-Sani ride.

Cool Thanks for that. Im also keen but worried its going to be just jeep track.  I also don't think they provide accommodation or chow afterwards like most stage races 

Has anyone does this event, its looks like fun but want to know peoples thoughts. Is it a team event or solo?

It's an awesome event. I've thoroughly enjoyed it the last few years.

It's solo as far as I remember.

Route66 changed it's routes this year, remember in the past it was from Lanseria to Van Gaalens to Maropeng. So I wouldn't be surprised if this years route was similar.

Last years races

Day1: https://www.strava.com/activities/283251606

Day2: https://www.strava.com/activities/283898946

It definitely wasn't just dirt roads and jeep track! ;)

Thankfully Maropeng isn't that far to drive to each day.

Why were there horror stories about day 1. what were the issues?

the 2014 event day 1 had a very dodgy river crossing/portage/carry-your-bike-over section that wasn't very far into the race, so it caused huge backlogs, I got there close to the front, so it was probably 5-10minutes, others said they waited 45-60 minutes.

2015 they took that section out and routed you around it.

Why were there horror stories about day 1. what were the issues?

Very very tough.

Race commissaire played us a clip just before we started from a guy that finished day 1 on Friday. Guy has done Epic, and few Joberg to Sea's - he said day 1 was the hardest day he's ever had on a bike. Lady standing behind us echoed this by saying last year she gave up after trying day 1 and ending up in tears. 

You can imagine the stunned silence from our starting group after this news.... 

Day 3 was a lot of fun though and not too bad - I've certainly had much worse rides before.

Lekker trails and certainly not just jeep track.

That's Route 66 though and not Cradle Trophy! 

Cannot comment on Cradle Trophy yet, but as I said; looks like they share some common trails.

I've done Mountain trophy twice, in 2013 and 2014. Do not under estimate day 1. It is a tough day out. Much tougher than the Nissan trailseeker 70km races.

Train hard!

• 1 month later...

For those that haven't seen yet, the date has changed to the following weekend:

The 2016 Cradle Mountain Trophy: CHANGE OF DATE

Hi there

This is a special announcement to inform you that the dates for the 2016 Cradle Mountain Tophy have been moved from 2 & 3 April to 9 & 10 April.

That’s right, The 2016 Cradle Mountain Trophy will now take place on the 9th and 10th of April.

This is as a result of issues that have arisen that are completely out of our control.

But, the seventh edition of the most exciting thing to happen to mountain biking - The Cradle Mountain Trophy – is still going ahead. And this year it will be bigger and better than ever.

This is without a doubt the most popular and spectacular 2-day event in and around Gauteng.

Special Announcement: 

Introducing a special 25km Cradle Mini Adventure on Sunday the 10th of April.

Starting at 07.30, you will follow the route of the main riders, but we will reduce the distance from 45km to 25km. This will afford the younger and not so skilled riders to come out and enjoy a day out with the big guns.

What’s on Offer: Riding Options

Riders will have the option of competing in four different events, namely:

1 – The Cradle Mountain Challenge – 75km on Saturday the 9th of April. Start at 07.00.

2 – The Cradle Mountain Trophy – 75km on Saturday the 9th of April and 40km on Sunday the 10th of April. Start at 07.00 (Sat) and 08.00 (Sun).

3 – The Cradle Mountain Adventure – 40km on Sunday the 10th of April. Start at 08.30.

4 – The Cradle Mini Adventure – 25km on Sunday the 10th of April. Start at 07.30.

In for both days too! Last year I came second overall on the 45km (only did that day). Lets see how we do on both days. AMPED TO SAY THE LEAST :D  :thumbup:

Did the original race a couple of years ago (Honda Trophy). Did not go back for day 2 after the last 15km ruined the whole race for me. ("virgin single track" meant riding next to the game fence where a path was cleared with a weedeater. Bumping over grass tufts are not my idea of fun). Rob usually organises great races. Was planning on doing it this year again but the date change puts it on the same weekend as Emperors.

Yes and its a great race.

But day 1 is from HELL! It is not 70KM, we clocked 82KM. some hectic parts like the crossing and one hill is not rideable... the start of my ITBS but wnt back for day 2...

Day 2 is easier and some great single track.