National road team announced for African Continental Championships

News bot

Cycling South Africa is proud to announce the Elite Women’s National Road Cycling Team that will participate in the 2016 CAC (African Cycling Confederation) Road Cycling Championships, taking place in Morocco, from 22 to 26 February.

Click here to view the article

What an absolute joke! Can CSA please tell us what the selection criteria was for this. What about our girls that really get the results in the races.

So SA National champs started little more than a week ago, so form would be based on the most current possible event and they've selected the people who came first, second, third and seventh at SA champs in the road race. The rider finishing seventh in the road race came 2nd in the time trial a few days earlier. What other results are you referring to?

So SA National champs started little more than a week ago, so form would be based on the most current possible event and they've selected the people who came first, second, third and seventh at SA champs in the road race. The rider finishing seventh in the road race came 2nd in the time trial a few days earlier. What other results are you referring to?

So according to you they based it on one days results? Based on SA's result Ashleigh should not be even going to Europe again. But then again selection should not be based on one event only should it?

What about 94.7, The Fast One, Berge en Dale.

What about the ladies CSA spend thousands of rands on to go race in Europe and get the exposure and the actual skills. So they just toss away the time and money spend there.

So according to you they based it on one days results? Based on SA's result Ashleigh should not be even going to Europe again. But then again selection should not be based on one event only should it?

What about 94.7, The Fast One, Berge en Dale.

What about the ladies CSA spend thousands of rands on to go race in Europe and get the exposure and the actual skills. So they just toss away the time and money spend there.

The event is next week. The last event was SA champs. The riders in form for right now would be the ladies who secured results at SA champs. Not difficult to understand. Pitching up and getting a podium at SA champs is not a one hit wonder, one race affair! Even the media briefing makes it obvious that Ashleigh's team commitments have precluded her from participation, not the actual results of the SA champs to put that selection criteria to bed.

Who were you hoping to see on the team?

The event is next week. The last event was SA champs. The riders in form for right now would be the ladies who secured results at SA champs. Not difficult to understand. Pitching up and getting a podium at SA champs is not a one hit wonder, one race affair! Even the media briefing makes it obvious that Ashleigh's team commitments have precluded her from participation, not the actual results of the SA champs to put that selection criteria to bed.

Who were you hoping to see on the team?

I know that Ashleigh was not available for selection. I also know that SA's was not the selection criteria for this. And I also know why CSA has waited till this am to release the team (they are flying tonight).

This is exactly why in the top 10 at SA's there is only 1 girl under the age of 28. Where is the young girls in road cycling? All of them is going to MTB because of this type of politics in road cycling.

What about Heidi Dalton, Carla Oberholzer, Charlene du Preez

I know that Ashleigh was not available for selection. I also know that SA's was not the selection criteria for this. And I also know why CSA has waited till this am to release the team (they are flying tonight).

This is exactly why in the top 10 at SA's there is only 1 girl under the age of 28. Where is the young girls in road cycling? All of them is going to MTB because of this type of politics in road cycling.

Fully agree but CSA never surprise me. They definitely did not watch the full race at SA's if that is what the selection was about. 

I'm not against with what you say and I agree that the selection process could be more transparent.

I have two thoughts/questions...

- The age thing actually has no relevance, because if you are best you are best; but there is always the big question, should you take young inexperienced riders for them to gain experience or send experienced riders to get results? And remember, they are competing in Morocco to get an extra spot to the olympic games in Rio.

- What would your team of four look like? Current: An-Li Kachelhoffer, Lise Olivier, Anriette Schoeman, Samantha Sanders; You want Heidi Dalton, Carla Oberholzer and Charlene du Preez in the place of? I'm sure every person will choose a different four woman team. But yes, they should be more transparent, but I'm sure the woman know what the selection criteria is?

The thing is, can we really complain about that team? Looks pretty strong to me.

Guest Lancesball

Read this now on FB and seems like the correct way to choose the team??

"Its a 4 person team and 1 of those 4 has to TT. 

They took top 3 ladies from road event. Then they took Sam who was the best TT / Road rider amongst the rest overall in results so she is beneficial to the team as a road member and member to perform in the TT"

Nobody is paying for Ashleigh to go to Europe. She is part of a pro team. As is An-Li, but Ash had commitments.

If they used other races, everyone would say but look at the SA's results. They can't win.

At least the team is the best based on last results.

Is Anriette a bit old, maybe, but why should she be denied because of age.

Guest Lancesball

Nobody is paying for Ashleigh to go to Europe. She is part of a pro team. As is An-Li, but Ash had commitments.

If they used other races, everyone would say but look at the SA's results. They can't win.

At least the team is the best based on last results.

Is Anriette a bit old, maybe, but why should she be denied because of age.

There were 2 girls u/28. Heidi and Catherine. Please know your riders in a argument.

They going to MTB cause that is a stronger series, more hi-profile races and prize money, sponsors and TV coverage. Not because of a selection criteria. Remember its the same governing body that selects riders for these type of events. 

I'm not against with what you say and I agree that the selection process could be more transparent.

I have two thoughts/questions...

- The age thing actually has no relevance, because if you are best you are best; but there is always the big question, should you take young inexperienced riders for them to gain experience or send experienced riders to get results? And remember, they are competing in Morocco to get an extra spot to the olympic games in Rio.

- What would your team of four look like? Current: An-Li Kachelhoffer, Lise Olivier, Anriette Schoeman, Samantha Sanders; You want Heidi Dalton, Carla Oberholzer and Charlene du Preez in the place of? I'm sure every person will choose a different four woman team. But yes, they should be more transparent, but I'm sure the woman know what the selection criteria is?

The thing is, can we really complain about that team? Looks pretty strong to me.

On the age thing I was refering to up and comming riders for the future. CSA wants to bring riders promote womens cycling yet where are the future stars of our sport?

Yes they are indeed and with that they are loosing points and a bucket load of it because Ashleigh won it last time round. So they need to make up for that. Now we are standing the chance of losing a spot for olimpics and that might be just the case.

No the ladies dont know the selection criteria and that is where CSA goes wrong. They were never informed as to what the selection criteria was. 

There were 2 girls u/28. Heidi and Catherine. Please know your riders in a argument.

They going to MTB cause that is a stronger series, more hi-profile races and prize money, sponsors and TV coverage. Not because of a selection criteria. Remember its the same governing body that selects riders for these type of events. 

Yes ok two of them. dont even going to go into that one.... So we have two future stars that needs to represent SA in the future.

Read this now on FB and seems like the correct way to choose the team??

"Its a 4 person team and 1 of those 4 has to TT. 

They took top 3 ladies from road event. Then they took Sam who was the best TT / Road rider amongst the rest overall in results so she is beneficial to the team as a road member and member to perform in the TT"

Please do yourself a favour and read Stuart's reply to that and maybe it will make sence as to why everyone is upset about this.

Guest Lancesball

Yes ok two of them. dont even going to go into that one.... So we have two future stars that needs to represent SA in the future.

Correct, the future, not now.

So many times young or inexperienced riders go to these events in the past and when they get a solid trumping its "well they got experience" but they never get chosen the following time.