National road team announced for African Continental Championships

News bot

Guest Lancesball

Please do yourself a favour and read Stuart's reply to that and maybe it will make sence as to why everyone is upset about this.

I did thanks, but believe its 1 sided as it is mentioned in other replies and the process forward seems like the right one. 

Good luck with your process.

Correct, the future, not now.

So many times young or inexperienced riders go to these events in the past and when they get a solid trumping its "well they got experience" but they never get chosen the following time. 

Not looking after your future riders and living in the "now" is a very bad thing and that is exactly why CSA women's cycling is where it is.

I would hardly call someone like Heidi inexperienced. She has more than enough experience.

I did thanks, but believe its 1 sided as it is mentioned in other replies and the process forward seems like the right one. 

Good luck with your process.

The process forward. What process is that you are referring to? How can facts be one sided?

You have your opinions and I have mine. 

I am going to have one more say on this topic.

This is not about being happy or unhappy with team selection; I wish them best of luck.

It is however about fair and unfair. About having systems and criteria in place which is made known to the riders well in advance. It is about transparency in the selection process which will hopefully restore the faith of younger riders in our sport. It is about a governing body protecting themselves but not their own.

I am stepping down from this topic now.

Guest Lancesball

Sanders coming 3rd in the TT, +11 seconds to the winner.

Yes, against 2 very accomplished TT riders. Not a bad result all things considered.

How old is Anriette?

38 if memory serves, would/have turned 39 this year. I went to school with her.

So they've won the team time trial, got a 3rd and 7th in individual time trial so far, with the road race to go. Decent results!

(Anyone perhaps know what result they need to ensure SA gets the extra Olympic qualification spot?)

Edited by Tubehunter

So they've won the team time trial, got a 3rd and 7th in individual time trial so far, with the road race to go. Decent results!

(Anyone perhaps know what result they need to ensure SA gets the extra Olympic qualification spot?)

Perhaps this helps (from page 7) http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/NewsGeneral/16/81/62/2015-02-Rio2016-QualificationSystem-FINAL-RoadCycling-EN_English.pdf

Not sure I understand completely, but it looks to be first the normal rankings and then a special place available depending on the continental championship results. I guess the final team classification?

"An NOC can earn maximum one (1) quota place through the ranking by nation from the Continental Championships.

If an NOC that has already qualified through the UCI Ranking by Nation of 31 May 2016 is the top ranked NOC of the respective continental championship, the next best ranked NOC in the ranking by nation of the respective continental championships will be allocated the quota place"

Supersix Evo I understand your issues and arguments but you get too emotional as you are to close to this subject. You can unfortunately never be truly objective! I echo your sentiments though on some of the team selection.

Guest Lancesball

38 if memory serves, would/have turned 39 this year. I went to school with her.

Yet she is beating many U23 and Elite ladies on a regular basis who are crying about selection. Time those girls and ladies step up going forward. 

Lise is 32/33 and also showing the rear wheel to many.

Congratulations to our girls, after all they don't select themselves. But we are going backwards as everything else in the RSA. If memory serves me right we achieved 1st and 2nd last year in the time trial. Ashleigh 1st and Heidi Dalton 2nd. Now we are happy with a 3rd. The girl that won was 5th last year - in my book that is progress.

Guest Lancesball

Congratulations to our girls, after all they don't select themselves. But we are going backwards as everything else in the RSA. If memory serves me right we achieved 1st and 2nd last year in the time trial. Ashleigh 1st and Heidi Dalton 2nd. Now we are happy with a 3rd. The girl that won was 5th last year - in my book that is progress.

Correctly said but then again Ashleigh is another level to the rest of the SA "Elite" she was very sick at Sa's, still attacked when she could and got 6th. Impressive in anyone books as everyone would be marking her.

Ashleigh would of won if she was there and healthy so we would be happy with 1st. 

Would hate to of seen the result if any other lady went in Sam's place other than Ashleigh.