Absa Cape Epic Prologue moves to Meerendal

Matt

Meerendal was chosen because very little time and effort is required for prep. There are permanent facilities and the space which cater for hosting an event of such a caliber. Given the short notice, Meerendal was the obvious choice. For those moaning about the quality of the trails, go watch some videos of the trails in BC and see what real mountain biking is all about. HTFU and smile. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you read the article? It says a peaceful protest ended in violence . It was the spectators that started the violence, not the protestors. So maybe moving the epic is to protect the students from violence from the spectators?

Still think it's knee jerke

No, the spectators stood up against an unlawful protest and things got out of hand when the spectator numbers swelled beyond the protester numbers. With a risk of the same at UCT during the Epic, there is nothing stopping BKA to mobilize to react in a similar fashion with a disruption by the Rhodesmustfall crowd during the Epic. A minimum requirement at the Epic would have been the riot squad, and thats a mood killer if there ever was one. It's not like they had to move it to another continent a la Dakar.

http://youtu.be/cmuYGj5gVuM

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got a decent route map for the prologue?  I've seen the map on the Epic site but it's not very clear.

Are they going up the tar for malans?

How they crossing over into Hoogekraal etc

Trying to plan my vantage points for some photography.

I am getting soooo excited for this. And i am just going to sit on the couch and watch it...imagine how they guys thats doing it must feel.

I am getting soooo excited for this. And i am just going to sit on the couch and watch it...imagine how they guys thats doing it must feel.

Early ride for me and back home to catch the live show on sunday.

They're going to go over the Burry Stander section and then up the Dortsberg single track then over the quarry in to Hoogekraal, do Hoogekraal minus the cobra and then back up past the primary school through the fields and climb Stairway to Heaven before heading in to the pump track and then the finish.

Hope that makes sense.

I was planning on going to chill up the Dortsberg single track always a good spot cheering as they climb.

Will these trails be closed to the public on saturday? (Tomorrow) by that I mean the normal tmbc trails...

Will these trails be closed to the public on saturday? (Tomorrow) by that I mean the normal tmbc trails...

There was a post on FB saying trails closed untill monday, meerendal and hoogies if i am not mistaken.

also curious, keen on doing a hoogies spin myself

Official practice on Sat between 11h00 and 16h00 so I'm sure it will be closed 

There was a post on FB saying trails closed untill monday, meerendal and hoogies if i am not mistaken.

facebook ..... what's that!

anyone have video's of the relevant sections of trail? Would like to determine a good vantage point

would be nice if members got an email saying the trails are closed ...... means I am going to spend some money at the Conters Coffee Shop after the ride then :P

Thanks!