Transporting a Bike to a Foreign Country

casspir

What would the cost implications be to transport a MTB in a rigid BikeSafe to a country such as Uganda? 

Are there other more economical options available? 

I am leaving on Wednesday for a some months and am not taking the MTB along as yet.  Depending on the situation in Uganda, I might arrange to have the bike sent up to me. 

Anyone with similar experience?

Regards,

casspir

casspir2008-04-28 06:16:49

Guest Big H

I used the people below to send my bike to Lagos Nigeria. It was a tandem along with a second wheelset, spares and other personal items. It is not cheap and cost in the region of R5000-000 to R6000-00. I paid the same to send it back to RSA. (total mass was approx 210kg.

Frikkie F. Breedt; MAKAMBA CLEARING & FORWARDING; +27113974141; FBreedt@Makamba.co.za ........... tell him Hendrik referred you to him. He should be able to find out about import duties and such. You do pay import tax when you bring the bike back via a agent. He will be able to confirm that as well

When I went to Tanzania previously I tied the wheel of my MTB to the frame with cable ties. Put the pedals and seatpost in my luggage, removed the handlebars and tied them to the frame with cable ties and had the whole bike cling wrapped at the airport. Took it with as normal luggage with no problems. Sold the bike while I was there..... got US$$$$ for it nogal!!!!!!