Bar tape - whats your pick?

Maniax

I've been using Giant bar tape for the last two or so years. Good grip, and comfy.  They don't seem to last though.  I've been considering trying the fizik bar tape, partly because of the black with white decals. They are just expensive though compare to the R110 I usually spend on them Giants. So my questions:

1. How big a difference will R450 Fizik make to R110 Giant?

2. How often do you replace bar tape?

2. What's your choice of brand?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried fizik 2mm and 3mm. Really nice tape but didn't impress me with longevity - especially for the money.

Use shimano tape and was impressed, but too little grip for my liking. Wrapped some specialized roubaix tape over that and am happy as a pig in poo - loads of grip, good stretch, stays really dry, like really dry, and seems to be lasting really well.

On a side note,if you haven't already tried double wrapping your bars, go for it. It's ridiculous how comfortable it is!

Edited by DragoRosso

I use to double wrap when I rode an alu bike. My hands used to go numb before that. But since I ride carbon I my hands are fine with a single layer. I kinda prefer the thinner feel.

So DragonRosso Specialize Roubaix tape? I'm riding on Specialized Roubaix 23/25mm tyre which are awesome. Maybe I should give that a try...

So DragonRosso Specialize Roubaix tape? I'm riding on Specialized Roubaix 23/25mm tyre which are awesome. Maybe I should give that a try...

Yeah for me that's the best budget tape around. I think I paid 250 for it. Really nice feel and lasts long finish seems like it won't last but it does really well. Really grippy man. But if you got the bucks I've heard good things about lizardskins above. Depends. Unfortunately not many ways to test this stuff!

For me its the Lizard Skins 3.5mm on top and 2.2mm on the drops.

Lasts a long time and holds up well in the wet and doesnt get all ripped up if you put the bike down.

For me its the Lizard Skins 3.5mm on top and 2.2mm on the drops.

Lasts a long time and holds up well in the wet and doesnt get all ripped up if you put the bike down.

Bit of a newb question, but how do you get different thickness tape on your bars?

got my bike with Zipp tape, 6000km later and its still going strong, no signs of wear and I have rode many times in the rain.

comfy and grips well.

I like the silic one bar tape and fabric. Fabric is well priced, grippy and I like the feel. Fizik is overpriced and really doesn't last. Won't make that mistake again.

So basically, doesnt matter what tape you go for, just dont do fizik - overpriced and dont last... Ok gotcha.

Edited by Maniax

Bit of a newb question, but how do you get different thickness tape on your bars?

you will need to buy both thicknesses, start wrapping the bottom to your hoods (a little electrical tape holds it nicely) then wrap the thicker tape to finish it off. Takes some practice but when its right its awesome :)

got my bike with Zipp tape, 6000km later and its still going strong, no signs of wear and I have rode many times in the rain.

comfy and grips well.

+1 for the Zipp tape

Currently have the ESI silicone tape (the guys that do the Chunky and Extra Chunky MTB grips). It's pretty comfy, and also pretty thick. Not sure about it in the rain though.... I try not to ride on the road in the rain.