Unacceptable behaviour at Sabie half marathon

Subpar68

I observed a very unpleasant incident at the finishing line at Sabie on Sunday. A half marathon participant tossed his bike into the hospitality area just before the finishing line and followed the horrendous act by tossing his helmet over too. He then walked over the line and only later came and to fetch his bike an helmet.

His unacceptable behaviour deserves stern disciplinary action by the covering body in form of a lengthy suspension from the sport. He must learn to respect others and the values of the sport. My view is that this participant has to named and shamed to prevent future rants in public.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, 

Sometimes when you have dug so deep, hurt so much and had that long 10km scream at yourself its hard to hold it in, lack of food can contribute to this making someone pretty "hangry"

we have all been there, let it blow over. It happens sometimes.

Why else would he throw it down???,,,,,,then again where is eddy we know he drops his niner on the cassette for no apparent reason

No, no, no, NO. I'd never drop it on its cassette. That would be a sacrilege.

I use the derailleur to protect the cassette from all potential damage by gently leaning it over on the nice long cage which is ideal for the purpose.

My wife once threw her bike. I promised her a short flat ride. It turned out to be a 70km ride in 40deg heat over a few mountains. She lost her sense of humor and tossed the bike a good 5 meters. I tried to make good by booking us into a 5star guest house for the rest of our camping trip.

I also tossed a bike once. It was 2008 and I was doing a 5 day training camp for the 2009 Epic with guys and girls way out of my league. On day 4, after being left behind with another straggler, getting lost and running out of water 10km before our scheduled water stop I rolled in next to the support vehicle. I tossed the bike and walked to the only shade I saw that day between Oudshoorn and Uniondale. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and realized that you have good days, bad days and then days from hell when mtb-ing. I collected my bike as if nothing happened, filled my bottles and thanked my wife who was waiting for us for nearly 3 hours worrying about us, with no cellphone reception to try and contact me. I've since seen bikes tossed. Often at a water point after a particular tough section. I try not to judge as everyone vents in their own way.

I observed a very unpleasant incident at the finishing line at Sabie on Sunday. A half marathon participant tossed his bike into the hospitality area just before the finishing line and followed the horrendous act by tossing his helmet over too. He then walked over the line and only later came and to fetch his bike an helmet.

His unacceptable behaviour deserves stern disciplinary action by the covering body in form of a lengthy suspension from the sport. He must learn to respect others and the values of the sport. My view is that this participant has to named and shamed to prevent future rants in public.

Thank you for coming here and posting this tear jerker...

It must have been eating at you for over 24hours...

In future, please post this type of thing to the Agony Aunt section of the forum...

From the video I saw, he went over the bars and his biked then flipped over the finishing "fences" into the hospitality area. He didn't throw his bike, just his helmet (probably after realising how silly his fall was)