Emperors Classic 2016 (road)

Dexter-morgan

I scored them well on this as I has no issues throughout the entire process. Online reg was easy, number collection took 2 minutes and the parking and route was a breeze.

Agreed- Super race all round.

Only thing where a gave them a low score- 5, was on the waterpoints. I didn't use it and went past so fast, I think I only saw 2.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed- Super race all round.

Only thing where a gave them a low score- 5, was on the waterpoints. I didn't use it and went past so fast, I think I only saw 2.

I doubt that was a problem, even for the slower or unfit riders. 2 bottles would have been more than enough on this route, and seeing that it was a cool day this wouldn't have been a concern.

I didn't have a nice race.

Just before halfway I broke a spoke. Got caught in the middle of the group, and was unable to get off the rough patch of road in the middle. There was also some rumble strips, not really sure what did it (had a quick thought I should have done this on my mtb...) Limped to the turn at "50km to go" board, and waited with another guy who also broke spokes on his bike. The sweeper vehicle got lost somewhere, but big thanks to Ryan, who was waiting for his wife to give her some bananas, that gave us a ride back in his bakkie.

Also had a scare just before that on a bridge where an idiot in a double cab decided to overtake a very big bunch. There was an oncoming car that had to get off the road to pass this guy.

Did my first race in VA and loved it.

Fell off the bunch on the drag up to the halfway turn. Caught a junior from the elite bunch and we worked well together until we found another VA casualty. 3 of us worked nicely to get home. VB bunch came past us really fast, and that was pretty scary but I survived. And then one of the last intersections the marshals were caught napping and a white hatch entered the intersection from our left - we were entering the intersection at speed as it was on a downhill. fortunately we all avoided him, but could have been a serious problem for all 3 of us.

Finished in 2:29, no mechanicals and no falls so pretty happy :)

Did my first race in VA and loved it.

Fell off the bunch on the drag up to the halfway turn. Caught a junior from the elite bunch and we worked well together until we found another VA casualty. 3 of us worked nicely to get home. VB bunch came past us really fast, and that was pretty scary but I survived. And then one of the last intersections the marshals were caught napping and a white hatch entered the intersection from our left - we were entering the intersection at speed as it was on a downhill. fortunately we all avoided him, but could have been a serious problem for all 3 of us.

Finished in 2:29, no mechanicals and no falls so pretty happy :)

Was that other VA casualty in a red shirt, riding a blue Raleigh?

Only negative I had about the race was the size of the VA bunch. Please can we lower the seeding for these races. There were allot of guys not up to par and made it extremely dangerous in the bunch.

The rest of the race was smooth and marshaling was excellent.

That was him. Freddy I think his name was. Was also his first VA race.

Cool.

I remember that point where we (VB) came passed you guys - just had a close moment with a guy on his BMX travelling towards our bunch.

I scored them well on this as I has no issues throughout the entire process. Online reg was easy, number collection took 2 minutes and the parking and route was a breeze.

Yeah for me too I scored them well on most questions.. I really did not have any issues... The only thing could maybe be the entry fee, but if you look at what they did (potholes filled no glass on route etc) I can understand.

I scored them 8 on waterpoints even though I did not stop at any...There was no N/A option

Edited by PietSw

Did 2:26 from BL. We had 2 crashes slowing us a bit. Guys was a bit reckless at times. Hopefully can improve my index to start in AL in next few races.

I barely missed the guy in Sky kit on the Raleigh that went down. Think my rear wheel hit his helmet. I ended up going off road through the grass, but managed to stay up and get back into the bunch luckily.

Yeah for me too I scored them well on most questions.. I really did not have any issues... The only thing could maybe be the entry fee, but if you look at what they did (potholes filled no glass on route etc) I can understand.

I scored them 8 on waterpoints even though I did not stop at any...There was no N/A option

I rode in AL and I saw one guy bunny hop a huge pothole. there was also lots of glass as you take the second left within the 1st km of the race.

My first emporers. Got a puncture out the parking lot. Changed tube with the same issue - something sharp in the tire I guess. Ended up riding at the end of the 98km groups and got forced into the 40km route by a marshal. Will try again next year I guess. Road cycling is going to take some getting used to. No tubeless for now [emoji17]

Cool.

I remember that point where we (VB) came passed you guys - just had a close moment with a guy on his BMX travelling towards our bunch.

At that stage our biggest concern was having you guys catch us in the corner, fortunately you got to us a couple hundred meters ahead of the corner and we got to follow the last few riders round. Having a bunch ride past like that on 1 side is scary enough.... I reckon 2 sides would be pretty serious!

At that stage our biggest concern was having you guys catch us in the corner, fortunately you got to us a couple hundred meters ahead of the corner and we got to follow the last few riders round. Having a bunch ride past like that on 1 side is scary enough.... I reckon 2 sides would be pretty serious!

That's another reason I will ride in front (or as near as possible) and also on the left/right of the bunch.

I guess it's a bit easier in the licensed categories than open groups as there are fewer riders to have to pass.