Considering Everesting Planing

Christofison

So I'm considering an Everesting attempt and I would really appreciate the input of Grey Stripe holders or anyone else who has also considered the crazyness.

Firstly, I have chosen a hill because it is reasonably long (4km), it has decent elevation gain (315m), the road is pretty quiet (max 10 cars per hour) and it has some nice tree cover (maybe 40%). The hill has an average grade of 8% with several sections of maybe 20% on the corners. Although the road is tarred I don't own a road bike, so will be doing it on my 13kg MTB.

post-59129-0-95376800-1456313751_thumb.jpg

Any training advice would also be appreciated. One concern is that I have chosen a hill too steep and I'll blow? Another concern is that although I'm quite fit for anything up to 60km, I have never done anything more than 130km, and am wandering if the 220km is doable?

Edited by Christofison

T

So I'm considering an Everesting attempt and I would really appreciate the input of Grey Stripe holders or anyone else who has also considered the crazyness.

Firstly, I have chosen a hill because it is reasonably long (4km), it has decent elevation gain (315m), the road is pretty quiet (max 10 cars per hour) and it has some nice tree cover (maybe 40%). The hill has an average grade of 8% with several sections of maybe 20% on the corners. Although the road is tarred I don't own a road bike, so will be doing it on my 13kg MTB.

attachicon.gifEveresting Calculator.jpg

Any training advice would also be appreciated. One concern is that I have chosen a hill too steep and I'll blow? Another concern is that although I'm quite fit for anything up to 60km but I have never done anything more than 130km and am wandering if the 220km is doable?

We managed to conquer everest after our third attempt, first time was not mentally ready to ride 20 hours, second attempt the road kicked up to 20% in places and put us in the red every lap. We had a road compact 32 and a MTB 32 cassette at the back. 

On our final attempt is documented in detail here: http://teampuresavage.blogspot.co.za/2015/12/pure-everest.html

Tips: start time, we worked out we wanted to finish in the day light, so we started in the evening, little problem was the afternoon sleep never happened as we were too excited, so was awake for close to 36 hours at the end. 

Get mentally prepared to ride for 20 hours. Have all your food and stops planned out. Also a change of clothes at half way was great. Music helped at some point as well. 

Find some support. First prize is a similarly crazy friend to share the experience! Friends and family to come round through the effort and make sure you're refuelling during the 16 plus hours you'll be riding. Do some hill repeats on the hill in question so that you can see how you feel after going up and down at least 5 times. You'll know after that effort, whether the combination of gradient and length of climb works for you or not!

Get extra battery options for lights if you're riding through the evening and also powerbanks to keep your garmin or whatever logging device you intend using powered up. Do a test ride before the day of the planned everesting effort with your kit flat and then going on a ride with the extra battery setup to ensure it does what you need. You'll have a sense of humour failure if you have to stop your effort as you have no way to log it with a proper powered device!

Enjoy all the planning and the effort itself! Have yet to complete one but have my eye on something that I'm working towards myself and done a few test efforts!

Thanks guys for the advice and encouragement. Was awesome to read the well documented blog post. I'll keep posting about plans going forth.

I have two buddies who are keen to join but haven't confirmed 100%. If they pull out I may just go ahead with a solo attempt.

We plan on going to tackle 3000m on the chosen sometime soon, just to get a feel for if we'll manage it or not.

Planning on starting at midnight and hoping to be done by 18:00, although I'm well aware that it may end up being 21:00.

Change of clothes is an awesome idea, thanks. And lots of chamois cream? Would anyone advise slapping some slicks on the MTB, or should rock the knobbies for extra street cred?

VeloViewer's analysis of the hill: Perhaps the basepoint where each lap starts from should be half way up?

post-59129-0-06458700-1456411166_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys for the advice and encouragement. Was awesome to read the well documented blog post. I'll keep posting about plans going forth.

I have two buddies who are keen to join but haven't confirmed 100%. If they pull out I may just go ahead with a solo attempt.

We plan on going to tackle 3000m on the chosen sometime soon, just to get a feel for if we'll manage it or not.

Planning on starting at midnight and hoping to be done by 18:00, although I'm well aware that it may end up being 21:00.

Change of clothes is an awesome idea, thanks. And lots of chamois cream? Would anyone advise slapping some slicks on the MTB, or should rock the knobbies for extra street cred?

VeloViewer's analysis of the hill: Perhaps the basepoint where each lap starts from should be half way up?

attachicon.gifOribi Gorge - North.jpg

I would put some slicks on. You need to put some time aside for stops and breaks.

I would start a little earlier, going back into the dark is tough.

That red steep section is going to Sap the energy.

Having mates do it with you is so good for moral, just make sure than have similar ratios to you!