New chain rings req?

Timasin

Hi Folks,

I know prob been asked in the past numerous times, so apologies in advance.

I replaced the cassette and chain on my XT M785 2x10(achieved the wear limit on the chain). Now with new chain and cassette the chain is jumping the big chain ring with some power applied and a cyclic(crank rotation not chain) grating noise on the small chain ring.

Guessing it's time to replace both chain rings? Can the small chain ring just be turned around to use the other side of the teeth as does no pick-up or drop-off functioning of the chain?

Rgds,

Timasin.

If you're skipping on the big ring and it's not an adjustment issue, you rode that chain into the ground and the small ring will be dead as well. Replace.

I must have gone way beyond 0.75 then?

If you ride the chain to the 0.75 limit then replace can the life of the cassette and chain rings be extended or will I face this issue again?

Alternately can the chain be changed regularly (1000km intervals) and thus significantly extend the service life of both the cassette and chain rings and offset the cost of the additional chains?

MUUUUCH cheaper than 1 x 11 anyway !!

It's just a fad till the next best thing hang in there it'll get cheaper!

I must have gone way beyond 0.75 then?

If you ride the chain to the 0.75 limit then replace can the life of the cassette and chain rings be extended or will I face this issue again?

Alternately can the chain be changed regularly (1000km intervals) and thus significantly extend the service life of both the cassette and chain rings and offset the cost of the additional chains?

How are you measuring 0.75? If via the typical chain checkers that stretch the chain between fixed points then be aware these tend to overestimate wear. My Parktools 10spd model (cc-3?) Reads 0.75% when actual wear measured with an accurate 1000mm steel rule is 0.25

In this case however you clearly have worn the chainrings as well as cassette and chain beyound re-use. My chainrings usually last quite a bit longer than my cassettes and I usually get at least two chains through a cassette before replacing it.

To extend life of your new drivetrain, buy 2 or 3 chains and change them monthly in sequence. This way they all wear in together and you dont get the big difference in spacing that is causing slippage for you now with a new chain on worn chainring.

wash, dry and lube each chain when you take it off to store it. I prefer to wash them in a mild solvent like paraffin because this does not prevent lube from seeping into the rollers after cleaning. If you use water based detergents, Any water remaining in the links will take days to dry out and may repel fresh lube unless the chain is totally dried out beforehand.

Edited by JXV

How are you measuring 0.75? If via the typical chain checkers that stretch the chain between fixed points then be aware these tend to overestimate wear. My Parktools 10spd model (cc-3?) Reads 0.75% when actual wear measured with an accurate 1000mm steel rule is 0.25

In this case however you clearly have worn the chainrings as well as cassette and chain beyound re-use. My chainrings usually last quite a bit longer than my cassettes and I usually get at least two chains through a cassette before replacing it.

To extend life of your new drivetrain, buy 2 or 3 chains and change them monthly in sequence. This way they all wear in together and you dont get the big difference in spacing that is causing slippage for you now with a new chain on worn chainring.

wash, dry and lube each chain when you take it off to store it. I prefer to wash them in a mild solvent like paraffin because this does not prevent lube from seeping into the rollers after cleaning. If you use water based detergents, Any water remaining in the links will take days to dry out and may repel fresh lube unless the chain is totally dried out beforehand.

Had the fork serviced and asked them to check the chain. told me it's just on the 0.75 and due a change, done another 500 or so kms.

My fault should have paid better attention but really has not given me a minutes trouble since new, just recently started feeling sloppy.

Thanks for the info.

Tell me how many times can you re-use the same connection point in the chain with the pin's? Or just go to a power link/sigma connection type chain?

Had the fork serviced and asked them to check the chain. told me it's just on the 0.75 and due a change, done another 500 or so kms.

My fault should have paid better attention but really has not given me a minutes trouble since new, just recently started feeling sloppy.

Thanks for the info.

Tell me how many times can you re-use the same connection point in the chain with the pin's? Or just go to a power link/sigma connection type chain?

He he he.... it's a bike shop. They sell chains. Guaranteed they will say its worn even if not. But in this case it was probably way past 0.75.

Don't re-use a chain pin. Once pushed out they are finished, especially on the narrow chains. Re-use in emergency only. Rather use a new pin or a powerlink. Powerlinks can be re-used but rather fit a new one with each new chain so they wear in with the chain. Some types need a tool to loosen them ( or some clever tricks).

Edited by JXV

• 5 years later...

Hi Guys

Something I've never really dabbled with .. I don't want to start a new thread.

My Chain is at 0.75% can I still put a new chainring on or is it going to skip?

9 minutes ago, Bos said:

Hi Guys

If your chain is that gone, a new chainring is a waste - the worn chain will trash the ring in one or two rides. 

Replace the chain and ring (new chain on your current chainring will chainsuck like a beast) and hope it doesn't skip on the cassette. If it does, put all the old stuff back on and ride it till it falls off, then replace the whole drivetrain.

17 minutes ago, Bos said:

Hi Guys

If you are replacing drivetrain wearable parts it always includes the chain.

OK, thanks guys,  So, there is some method to the madness. 

Because of the specific routes we ride over and over, our cassettes wear unevenly, so I actually want to extend the life of my cassette which extends the life of the entire drivetrain which is big $$$

A chainring however, is R250 -350 on classifieds.