New chain rings req?

Timasin

If you want to extend the life of your cassette, change your chain at 0.5 instead of waiting so long. Now like Droo said you can only wait till it skips so much it's unrideable to change everything.

i just bought a new SRAM PC1110 from Cycle Lab. Advertised price R309, after the mycyclelife vouchers I paid R180

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

If you want to extend the life of your cassette, change your chain at 0.5 instead of waiting so long. Now like Droo said you can only wait till it skips so much it's unrideable to change everything.

Sorry, I left out some important detail. I want to use a different size chainring... I want to go from a 32 to a 30T.  As I've said, there are one or two teeth on the cassette that's got far more wear than others which will get worse to the point that the chain will eventually skip on the cogs that I don't often use, while the ones that gets used on every ride up the same climbs wears the whole system down. I have two chains at 0.7 which I can keep rotating.

My thinking is, If I change the chainring, I will get away with using the cassette and chain a bit longer. I don't care about the chainring that will wear down quicker. they are relatively cheap in comparison

3 hours ago, Bos said:

OK, thanks guys,  So, there is some method to the madness. 

Because of the specific routes we ride over and over, our cassettes wear unevenly, so I actually want to extend the life of my cassette which extends the life of the entire drivetrain which is big $$$

A chainring however, is R250 -350 on classifieds.

Are you upsizing the chainring to move the "favourite gear" to somewhere else on the cassette?

17 minutes ago, droo said:

Are you upsizing the chainring to move the "favourite gear" to somewhere else on the cassette?

Basically. 

5 minutes ago, Bos said:

Basically. 

that's an interesting idea, usually people tend to wear more the smaller cogs on the cassette no ? So would tend to take a larger chainring to move higher on the cassette, you're trying the opposite ?

Where do you find chainrings so cheap to make it worth it ? last time I checked a chain was about R700 and a decent chainring more or less the same ?

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

that's an interesting idea, usually people tend to wear more the smaller cogs on the cassette no ? So would tend to take a larger chainring to move higher on the cassette, you're trying the opposite ?

Where do you find chainrings so cheap to make it worth it ? last time I checked a chain was about R700 and a decent chainring more or less the same ?

Yes. That's it.  I don't ride much flat or longer distances, mostly straight up, and straight down. So like I have said. I have 2 gears that get a lot of use. I cant really go up size on a chainring as the hills are either to steep, or I'm to weak ;) but I hardly ever touch my 10t

Even for R750 its a fraction of a full new drivetrain, which I will have to put off until bonus time later this year. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/chainrings/494189/sram-30-thoot-chainring 

So, to my question. 

Do you guys think it will skip...?

I'd like to pull the trigger on the above. 

I think for R250 it's worth a try, if your old chain on your old cassette doesn't skip I don't see what's the risk of trying a 2nd hand chainring on, worst thing you get chainsuck and you lose R250 but I don't really see why old chain on semi worn chainring would cause that. Might actually be a smart move ;)

47 minutes ago, Bos said:

So, to my question. 

Do you guys think it will skip...?

I'd like to pull the trigger on the above. 

Nope, on a NW ring it shouldn't skip. But get a new chain at the same time and try it on the old cassette - if it skips, put the old chain back on. If it doesn't, you won't need a new cassette.

1 hour ago, droo said:

Nope, on a NW ring it shouldn't skip. But get a new chain at the same time and try it on the old cassette - if it skips, put the old chain back on. If it doesn't, you won't need a new cassette.

Thanks for the replies guys. 

I may just do this. As Drew suggested. Hope it works. SRAM cassettes are not cheap! 

Coming to Witfontein Enduro Drew? 

7 hours ago, Bos said:

A chainring however, is R250 -350 on classifieds.

The average bikehub person is way to greedy to sell a decent chainring for that price. 

14 hours ago, Bos said:

Thanks for the replies guys. 

I may just do this. As Drew suggested. Hope it works. SRAM cassettes are not cheap! 

Coming to Witfontein Enduro Drew? 

Maybe, will be a last minute decision if I do.

The new chainring will be 2nd hand very soon with the worn chain. 

Pity I don't have a worn 30T laying about otherwise it would have been at Postnet on its way to you already :(