[Event] Eselfontein MTB 3 Day Stage Race

Eselfontein

I am not a stage race fan really - and I don't have the bike for it, but this one was rather special, and despite the pain on the ups, was probably the best 3 day race to attempt on a trail bike.  My bike chewed up and spat out that 10km rock garden and the relaxed geo and dropper post made for stress free descending.

My wife loved it and out rode a bunch of men on the descents. Hope it doesn't get too big or those trails will get a bit clogged. 

All in a must repeat race. No hype, a grass roots MTB feel about the event, especially if you were camping as Philip said. 

Glad you guys enjoyed it.  We had a about 300 riders for the race and there were a few bottle necks on day one (mainly at the rear of the race) as there was no batches for the first day.  We will try and sort that out next year.  As any first three day event there were a few teething problems but hope to sort that out next year.

There will be a cut off of 400 riders next year and speaking to most of the people they really enjoyed and will be returning next year with friends.  So get your entries in early. 

I think a few people also underestimated Eselfontein when they saw the amount of kilometers and elevation.  As I always say there are very few free kilometers on Eselfontein.  So next year stay fit and work on the technical skills.

Please feel free to give advise how we can make this event even better next year.

Kind Regards

Deon Meyer

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was puking the whole way, i tell you. I mean I only found out about it by chance and then i had to send an email and pay some money and only then would they even respond. Its like the whole Zupta thing all over again. Its not who you know, its who you pay. Damn things are falling apart...

Ai. A movement must be started.

#DecoloniseEzelEnduro #EzelStageRaceInviteOnlyMustFall

Ai. A movement must be started.

#DecoloniseEzelEnduro #EzelStageRaceInviteOnlyMustFall

Can't ever tell if it's sarcasm or not, but are you not confusing this race with Ezelenduro?

As far as I knew they advertised this race ages ago? Anybody could enter, no handshake or nothing.

Big thumbs up for all the riders. I hope all the trails were tough but enjoyable. I was on the motorbike marking routes. Thanks for all the good feedback. It will always be a small event ( max 400 riders) to keep the grass roots no hype mtb feel to it. We are just a bunch of farmers who like riding our bikes and ALL the profit is going to schools and old age homes in and around Ceres. Ons maak volgende jaar weer so.

We are just a bunch of farmers who like riding our bikes and ALL the profit is going to schools and old age homes in and around Ceres. Ons maak volgende jaar weer so.

This is probably why it had such a different vibe to the rest of the, R14000 per team, 3 day stage races. Some of the big events make you feel like a sardine squeezed onto a piece of trail to maximise profit.

Big thumbs up for all the riders. I hope all the trails were tough but enjoyable. I was on the motorbike marking routes. Thanks for all the good feedback. It will always be a small event ( max 400 riders) to keep the grass roots no hype mtb feel to it. We are just a bunch of farmers who like riding our bikes and ALL the profit is going to schools and old age homes in and around Ceres. Ons maak volgende jaar weer so.

Ag nee wat, julle is lekker.

Ek en my Partner het Vrydag middag na ons met julle gesels het by die stroompie al besef ons is in vir 'n goeie naweek. Julle het ons nie teleurgesteld gelos nie.

Laastens: Dankie weereens dat julle die minimum bruggies gebruik het.

This is probably why it had such a different vibe to the rest of the, R14000 per team, 3 day stage races. Some of the big events make you feel like a sardine squeezed onto a piece of trail to maximise profit.

We are often a bit like mindless sheep doing the same big name events over and over again.

There are awesome experiences to be had outside those events that offer as good & better value for money, this seems to be one of them. Definitely very high on my to-do list...

Ons bou al reeds oor die 30 jaar aan die roetes op Eselfontein met die fokus op volhoubaarheid van n roete.Ek dink ons staan al by 100km single track waarvan ons gedeeltes in 2 rigtings gebruik met die 3 dag aangesien elke afdraand as n klim ontwerp word.Wil net aan almal betrokke baie dankie se wie gehelp het om die naweek n sukses te kon maak van deelnemer,merkers tot skoonmaker.Ons doen die event al oor die 20 jaar(one day) en dit is die minste vullis wat ons al ooit moes optel op die roetes na die tyd.Ons sien uit om julle volgende jaar weer hier te kan he 13-15 Oktober 2017 

I first rode at Eselfontein in the 90's when Deon Malherbe was a wild youth who had not discovered moto bikes yet. Great to see how the one sport feeds into the other. Who would have though an enduro moto would be a good trail building tool :-)

Entry ninja appear to have stuffed up the results for day 3 - there were many more than 145 finishers I suspect and our names don't appear. They are also not the easiest to contact  - no email, just FB and Twitter as far as I can see. 

I've used the contact form on their website before, they are quite effective with their replies. 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/158297-event-eselfontein-mtb-3-day-stage-race/page-4

Thanks Esel and the team. Best weekend spent on a mountainbike. Been doing the one day thing since 2010 and I think you have a great thing coming with this event. Routes were awesome and as always tough but so rewarding. Really enjoy riding in your backyard. It really is a special place. Thanks again. In for next year without a doubt. Cheers!

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

Kudos on great event! Will be back next year.

Constructive criticism if I may: Ditch the people that did the timing. Registration was a nightmare with them and their timing system is BS to say the least. How can a bunch gun for the line only to be scanned on the line at the scanners convenience.

It's a minor in the bigger scope of things but worth a mention

Constructive criticism if I may: Ditch the people that did the timing. Registration was a nightmare with them and their timing system is BS to say the least. How can a bunch gun for the line only to be scanned on the line at the scanners convenience.

i missed you at the weekend?

found quite hilarious actually, gunning for the line and then they scream "SLOW DOWN"

was that the group sprinting for 78th position... :ph34r: :whistling: :devil: