Kamanasi Mountains

Brakkies Sport Fotos

Who knows were the Kamanasi mountain range are (close to Uniondale/Oudtshoorn/Aberdeen area)

Rumour has it that stage 2 is going over them.

Got this yesterday in my e-mail

The 2007 route is a major departure from previous years? routes, with 5 of the 8 stage towns hosting the race for the first time.

Towns like Riversdale, Saasveld and Franschhoek that have hosted the race every year since the inaugural Epic in 2004 will take a break in 2007.

The route is largely inland and this means hot and dry ? which will be a welcome reprieve for the riders that experienced the mud of the early stages this year!

The first 3 stages of 2007 will be characterised by long continuous alpine-like climbs with riders having to ascend more than 7000m in altitude in approximately 350km!

And this in the heat of the Karoo!

The overall distance is shorter than the last 2 years but at least as tough ? just finishing the first 3 days will be a major achievement!

Quick, go and ride the diamond back 3day tour starting tomorrow.

You will ride through that area then......

Pity I'll be missing it this year, certainly one of the highlights on my race calender of 2005, and I'll certainly be back in 2007.

Kammanasie Mountains are North and parallel to the Langkloof Road (N9), but do not feature as being very high.

Our landlord in Uniondale for the Karoo to Coast said that stage 1 of the Epic will be the K2C in reverse! That will be more than hectic!

The first 3 stages of 2007 will be characterised by long continuous alpine-like climbs with riders having to ascend more than 7000m in altitude in approximately 350km!

That's not too hectic.

We did over 7200m at Rock 2 Surf this past weekend in 200 km. Some of those hills were so steep we even battled to walk up them let alone push a bike !

The Thug2006-09-29 01:03:47

Mornings.

Yes, my info is that the first stage is the Karro 2 coast backwards, than the Kamanasie mt's on stage 2. Also heard that stage 2 and 3 is rated as the hardest of the eight days.

You know, you don't need Everest heights to be broken, Groenberg did it already.

Its that damm never ending up and downs in the "klowe"

That's not too hectic.

We did over 7200m at Rock 2 Surf this past weekend in 200 km. Some of those hills were so steep we even battled to walk up them let alone push a bike !

What is Rock 2 Surf?

What is Rock 2 Surf?

A 250km Adventure race from Kranskop (Natal) to Mtunzini (Empangeni Area) consisting of approx 170km's MTB riding, 40km hiking/trail running and 40km's paddling on rivers & dams.

The winning team took 29 hours !

• 3 weeks later...

Titus - yeah - I managed to find a local Helderberg rider to partner up with - quite a similar riding style to me - not the quickest, but we can ride all day :)

He quite a bit older than me, but you know how those old guys just keep on going - that is what I am banking on.

We are all waiting for the 24hr race analysis....