Entries for exciting new Maluti Double90 Team Challenge open 9 March 2016

News bot

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto

Where you guys staying? I was looking at a nice little lodge(river lodge or something like that?) but when we enquired they said no kids and I'm bringing my wife and baby with. I've just booked at the protea. Same as a few of my team mates. Others are scattered nearby.

Where you guys staying? I was looking at a nice little lodge(river lodge or something like that?) but when we enquired they said no kids and I'm bringing my wife and baby with. I've just booked at the protea. Same as a few of my team mates. Others are scattered nearby.

We've booked a lodge on the golf course, which allows kids (50% off for 3+ and free for <3).

Think it's called Guinea Fowl.

I would love to do this as I have never been to clarens-golden gate area, but my training buddies are all mountain bikers with the exception of the one who shall not be named who also rides on the road.

I would love to do this as I have never been to clarens-golden gate area, but my training buddies are all mountain bikers with the exception of the one who shall not be named who also rides on the road.

Definitely worth a trip, its a beautiful area. My wife and I love staying at the Glen Reenen rest camp in Golden Gate.

Would also love to do this ride, but unfortunately my riding buddies consist of me, myself and I 99% of the time.

There is a mountain bike race there. Think it's part of the MTN series. Would probably get to see much more of the tar than on.

Training ride #1 in the bag, a rude awakening for me - either a case of being less fit than I need to be, or it was a high intensity endurance ride.

Thankfully there is time [emoji39]

• 4 weeks later...

So a fellow hubber and I pulled one of our crazy moves again (to go ride a crazy long distance by ourselves unsupported) and we went to go ride this route on Saturday. Yip, the full route, one go (well we stopped twice to fill up our bottles @103km and 154km).

THE WIND. JOH

From the 129km mark right into Clarens was head on, but between 133km and 154km was PURE madness. There was no 'recovery' zones because you had to work hard on the downs too reaching max of about 18km/h (on downs!).

Luckily for us two we don't rely on being drafted over these distances, because I am sure single file through there would not have helped at all with the wind just coming from front and left and right - kinda 'picking you up and moving you 0.5m sideways'. I think if the wind blows like that on race day it will be dangerous.

The route itself - accept for like 2 or 3 *decent* climbs I actually thought it wasn't too bad. We carried a speed of about 29km/h till the 126km mark (remember we were riding mostly next to each other in the very wide and pleasant shoulder from after Bethlehem till the start of the Golden Gate, relaxed pace). After 134km the thought started crossing our mind to throw in the towel MULTIPLE times (not that either of us will ever I think). 100m felt like 1 km.

Did I mention the wind? Lichens pass was not too bad. Somehow I think it was because that one section of mountain protected us from the wind which at that stage felt like heaven (accept if you did right bends for some reason), but Mynskag! WOW. I thought about getting off my bike and hiding behind a bush till someone comes to fetch me. I think I would have walked faster up there :blush: It was honestly very tough for me (I in general HATE hills, although I don't voice this on rides....hahaha...*Best riding partners don't moan on rides, right? They bring their sparkling personality with* ^_^)

The rest of the ride:

We started around 5:30 (45min later than out usual starts), but I was lazy. It was cold. Very cold. My fingers felt like they were frozen for the 1st 28km (all those dams around there doing their job at evaporative cooling I will say). We actually both said this morning how we had brain freeze for the 1st bit. This part also had no shoulder and we rode most in the dark. Road surface nice except for a few pot holes.

28km - 39km is up on the N5 into Bethlehem. The 1st part is new tar, but feels rough. Then the busy, uneven and potholes galore through town and then right onto the R714.

40km - 76km nice broad shoulder, quiet road. Tar is new so kinda rough too. No pot holes and FAR to your right you can see the mountains you have to go explore later :D Some long but gradual climbs.

76km - 126km some more nice shoulder and new tar, but it feels rough. Partner and I agreed that somehow it feels like you 'pedal harder' on that road surface. LONG but gradual climbs again - when you see some of them from a distance they seem like it is going to be a HUGE struggle, but somehow one just ease up them.

At 126km you turn right onto the R712 which take you back to Clarens. And our thought was after a gentle 29km/h till then "ag only 50km home, lets do this". Till we got to the 129km and it felt like we were going no where :lol:

To everyone that is racing/riding it...good luck! And enjoy. :thumbup:

So a fellow hubber and I pulled one of our crazy moves again (to go ride a crazy long distance by ourselves unsupported) and we went to go ride this route on Saturday. Yip, the full route, one go (well we stopped twice to fill up our bottles @103km and 154km).

THE WIND. JOH

From the 129km mark right into Clarens was head on, but between 133km and 154km was PURE madness. There was no 'recovery' zones because you had to work hard on the downs too reaching max of about 18km/h (on downs!).

Luckily for us two we don't rely on being drafted over these distances, because I am sure single file through there would not have helped at all with the wind just coming from front and left and right - kinda 'picking you up and moving you 0.5m sideways'. I think if the wind blows like that on race day it will be dangerous.

The route itself - accept for like 2 or 3 *decent* climbs I actually thought it wasn't too bad. We carried a speed of about 29km/h till the 126km mark (remember we were riding mostly next to each other in the very wide and pleasant shoulder from after Bethlehem till the start of the Golden Gate, relaxed pace). After 134km the thought started crossing our mind to throw in the towel MULTIPLE times (not that either of us will ever I think). 100m felt like 1 km.

Did I mention the wind? Lichens pass was not too bad. Somehow I think it was because that one section of mountain protected us from the wind which at that stage felt like heaven (accept if you did right bends for some reason), but Mynskag! WOW. I thought about getting off my bike and hiding behind a bush till someone comes to fetch me. I think I would have walked faster up there :blush: It was honestly very tough for me (I in general HATE hills, although I don't voice this on rides....hahaha...*Best riding partners don't moan on rides, right? They bring their sparkling personality with* ^_^)

The rest of the ride:

We started around 5:30 (45min later than out usual starts), but I was lazy. It was cold. Very cold. My fingers felt like they were frozen for the 1st 28km (all those dams around there doing their job at evaporative cooling I will say). We actually both said this morning how we had brain freeze for the 1st bit. This part also had no shoulder and we rode most in the dark. Road surface nice except for a few pot holes.

28km - 39km is up on the N5 into Bethlehem. The 1st part is new tar, but feels rough. Then the busy, uneven and potholes galore through town and then right onto the R714.

40km - 76km nice broad shoulder, quiet road. Tar is new so kinda rough too. No pot holes and FAR to your right you can see the mountains you have to go explore later :D Some long but gradual climbs.

76km - 126km some more nice shoulder and new tar, but it feels rough. Partner and I agreed that somehow it feels like you 'pedal harder' on that road surface. LONG but gradual climbs again - when you see some of them from a distance they seem like it is going to be a HUGE struggle, but somehow one just ease up them.

At 126km you turn right onto the R712 which take you back to Clarens. And our thought was after a gentle 29km/h till then "ag only 50km home, lets do this". Till we got to the 129km and it felt like we were going no where :lol:

Nice report - looking forward to riding/racing it.

Would also love to do this ride, but unfortunately my riding buddies consist of me, myself and I 99% of the time.

Sounds so familiar. LOL

THE WIND. JOH

The rest of the ride:

Fantastic update - Thanks Hayleyearth.

Did you perhaps get a route profile you could share?

Strava link please hayleyearth..

Thanks! 

Fantastic update - Thanks Hayleyearth.

Did you perhaps get a route profile you could share?

For everyone asking for this (pm's too)...here is a hint for the future...If you go under "segment search" you can find what ever your heart desires :D It kind works like Google, type in like "Maluti" or something like that and you will find anything/everything people has ever posted about it ...

post-24697-0-59494100-1459839555_thumb.jpg

But for the lazy few of you....here, you can have my mates one (I hope he is okay with this... :ph34r:  :D )

https://www.strava.com/activities/533353111