[Event] Ashburton Investments National MTB Series VAN GAALEN

WesselvdWalt

Thanks Pikey for helping me choose the Stumpy! Hell of a tough ride, took me 6:30 but happy to make it

hope it was the right decision for you. Kudos to finishing such a tough race. Was a proper test.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wtf is up with the Ultra results? Beeeg FU.

As for the route, well done Eric, a proper test, loved and hated every 1km.

that saying is so apt during a tough race...loved & hated every km

Next time someone asks why ....

Edited by Pikey

There were a few people wondering around the finish with their arms in slings, heard there was quite a bad crash on the half.

Anybody have an update on Kobus' condition? He went don't real hard on that kicker of a water culvert. Hope he has recovered, as that was a mean wipeout. Never felt so incompetent in my life, seeing the guy totally unconscious like that...

And well done Jason

Saw you at the finish well done on doing the ultra. (i also ride such a cool bike) spearfish!

Results are a mess. A few amateurs managed to demolish max knox time in the ultra! :)

The Ultra resuls are a total mess. There must be a better way to record time / results. People who have entered the Ultra and then only did the Marathon on the day, their timing is reflected under Ultra with a Marathon time. Even faster time than the Ultra Winner.

Sorry to hear about the accidents. VG is always a real test. Hard race but my SC Highball followed the right lines. Really enjoyed the satellite single track, great riding and happy that old turned rock decent was gone.

Bridge was rather disappointing. It was too perfect. I think that half sinking feeling if you don't keep the cadence up and water spraying off your rear tire is what makes floating bridges special, fun and scary. This one was like riding the highway!

Well organized as always enjoyed it much more than in the past. Happy to have knocked off 30mins in the marathon.

I rode the half marathon. I will call it my first "proper" MTB race. Loved it. a hard ride for sure with quite a sting in the tail after the descent from Greek church. Well organised, clearly marked and challenging. All the right ingredients for a fun day.

The Ultra resuls are a total mess. There must be a better way to record time / results. People who have entered the Ultra and then only did the Marathon on the day, their timing is reflected under Ultra with a Marathon time. Even faster time than the Ultra Winner.

They do seem a bit all over the place. They guy who won the half marathon did it in 1:37 at 25.7km/h! Flip, over that course I don't think that's possible.

I guess they do say "Preliminary" on the results page. I wonder when they will be "Final"?

They do seem a bit all over the place. They guy who won the half marathon did it in 1:37 at 25.7km/h! Flip, over that course I don't think that's possible.

I guess they do say "Preliminary" on the results page. I wonder when they will be "Final"?

Unbelievable but true ; those juniors can ride hey !! Those times are actually correct !! Wessel ( the junior that also won Juma ) was second by 24 seconds . They basically took all the KOM's at Van Gaalen this weekend . They person that was in 4th place according to the timing is incorrect though .

Edited by Milkman

Unbelievable but true ; those juniors can ride hey !! Those times are actually correct !! Wessel ( the junior that also won Juma ) was second by 24 seconds . They basically took all the KOM's at Van Gaalen this weekend . They person that was in 4th place according to the timing is incorrect though .

FLIP!!! Thanks for clearing that up for me. Those okies must be super-human!

I did the half and really enjoyed the race. Climbs were fine but the last 10km really killed my. Will be back next year

I would really like to thank manbearpig for giving me one of his chainring bolts after I lost 3 of mine so I could finish the Ultra. You Sir are a true gentleman and I owe you a few cold ones! Cheers, Doug.

Edited by Gliders

Great Marathon route this year. Tricky bits, but nothing extreme. And the tail-wind at the end was just what the doctor ordered.

Some more of that this weekend...

Edited by Bike Whisperer

I would really like to thank manbearpig for giving me one of his chainring bolts after I lost 3 of mine so I could finish the Ultra. You Sir are a true gentleman and I owe you a few cold ones! Cheers, Doug.

He has been called many things in his life, this, Sir, is the first time he has EVER been called this.

I am glad you just got out alive, and how did you handle the stench when around him?

Anyone know if they publish the pictures from all the photographers that were out on the route? Tried Googling but only find a few official ones.