Klapperkop & Groenkloof Safety Update

River Rat

Is there a similar group for Klapperkop? The road section is heavily patrolled but better safe than sorry, and it's my usual route.

Yes there is PM your details to me if you want to join.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Groenkloof Safety Update

More than two months have passed since our public meeting on the 10th May 2016 and I think that it is time to reflect on what we have or not have achieved since then. To start off council have fulfilled most of their undertakings made at the meeting. The electric fence has been repaired, the fencing to the northern section of Groenkloof Nature reserve has been improved and Metro police are patrolling the reserve itself. All good and well but have we achieved our objective of a safe Groenkloof yet and if I answered that question a fortnight ago I would have to say emphatically NO! To elaborate four attacks have occurred since our meeting one in Groenkloof and three in the adjacent Klapperkop Reserve, not a great record at all.

Reading this it may surprise you that although I’m appalled by the attacks I’m actually very positive about the future. First of all, it is the attitude of council that is most pleasing, I have had five separate meetings with Council (including representation from Metro Police and Reserve Management) and SAPS, these meetings would not have been possible 6 months ago. Council have realised that not only Groenkloof but all the adjacent reserves represent a unique economic development opportunity for the City of Tshwane. The long term plan is to coordinate the activities, marketing and safety initiatives of Groenkloof, Voortrekker Monument, Freedom Park, Salvokop, Fountains and Klapperkop into one seamless eco precinct, perhaps Tshwane’s version of New York’s Central Park. You may ask how does this help our current situation? Well, the important issue is to realise that Council see this opportunity  as strategic and are therefore prepared to invest in the area, a vital shift in mind set!

As I said at one of meetings with Council whilst I’m excited about the future prospects for the city I likened our conversations to “talks about draining the swamps whilst we’re up to our necks in crocodiles”. Fortunately this has been addressed and a separate Safety and Security subcommittee has been established and we’ve had two meetings already. So where are we now? Well let’s start with the attack in Groenkloof which took place on a Thursday afternoon, before the fence was upgraded, further Metro Police did not patrol during the week at that stage. At yesterday’s meeting I was told that Metro Police are now permanently patrolling Groenkloof during daylight hours including weekdays. I personally saw Metro Police patrols as well as the reserve staff patrolling the northern boundary while riding there last Saturday. You may ask how can we be sure whether this is indeed permanent or not, I’m quite upbeat about this as I have personally witnessed Reserve management holding their Metro Police colleague’s feet to the fire when this does not happen and the subsequent proof that any lapse was addressed. I believe that Groenkloof is significantly safer now than compared to a month ago.

The increased activity in Groenkloof has undoubtedly displaced the criminals into Klapperkop reserve where we experienced three separate attacks. The positive out of this is that our community safety initiative has born some fruit and two alleged perpetrators were apprehended thanks to the combined efforts Hi Risk Security Unit and SAPS. This arrest tested whether our legal system was ready to take these guys off the streets and protect us. Sadly, this process left a lot to be desired and there was a chance that these guys would be released before an ID parade could be held. Thanks to a pressure created by the witnesses, Council and myself this has been addressed and an ID parade was held. One of the accused has been positively linked to 4 separate cases and the other one to two of those cases, these cases occurred in both Groenkloof and Klapperkop during the last 6 months. A number of issues emerged from this, SAPS were not convinced that the witnesses would make the effort to identify their attackers which is often the case. I can say with pride that thanks to their courage and determination those attacked have come to the party and have broken this paradigm and we have a very motivated Capt Kgobisa from Pretoria Central who is determined to see this prosecution through to success. Further, the coordination between Central and Sunnyside Police stations left a lot to be desired but thankfully this seems to be resolved and another ID parade is to be held on Monday to see if these guys can be linked to cases under Sunnyside’s jurisdiction.

I don’t believe that the arrest of these two has solved the crime problem in Klapperkop and I urge you to be careful when visiting this reserve. However, the future for Klapperkop is very positive and the plan is to control access to the reserve on a permanent basis by installing gates at both the entrances and manning these on a full time basis. You will be required to sign in when you enter and exit the reserve during the day. The gates will be closed at night and only those with a valid reason will be granted access. Regular visitors will be issued with an access card to expedite access the full details and timing of these measure will be confirmed when I meet with council on Monday.  This might attract some resistance but near in mind that Klapperkop is a proclaimed nature reserve and the necessary way leave has been granted, the inconvenience is truly a small price to pay to insure our safety. In the short term Metro Police are patrolling the road during peak training hours and will extend this to the jeep track adjacent to the fence line once these have been graded to allow access for 4 x 2 vehicles. I have raised the issue of improving the fence along the R21 and George Storrar drive but this requires budget approval as the expense is circa R2 million.

Many of you have asked about the public meeting that council committed to, I might be wrong here but I made the call that I’m able to adequately update all of you via this medium which negates the need for a public meeting. This does not mean that we will not have another public meeting as I do believe that this has been very effective in getting council to do the right thing. Rest assured that I will put out the clarion call for your assistance if I see that council is wavering in their commitment and we cannot get them on board. Finally, I think it is necessary to acknowledge that council are doing what they can to make the area safer and for this to continue we need to make sure that they stay motivated by using Groenkloof albeit cautiously. Bear in mind that they are losing approximately R80k of lost revenue every weekend in lost gate fees and this needs to be reversed. I feel sufficiently secure in the reserve to go back and I’ll be riding there tomorrow, meet me at 8:30 at the entrance to the parking if you would like to join me.

Last week when we rode in Groenkloof it was a case of one eye on the track and the other scanning for criminals. Saturday was like embracing a long lost relative, you only realize how much you've missed them when you see them again. I found new friends in Mieke, John and Rudi, with my wife conquering her demons that have occupied her thoughts for more than a year. There were some old friends out to greet us and we discovered the mystical Unicorn.

post-13836-0-21911000-1468823107_thumb.jpg

post-13836-0-00555600-1468823139_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

When victims become survivors and ultimately heroes!

"On 19 July was a year ago when my kids n I was attacked / armed robbed at fortklapperkop. A place where viewing nature , the animals and the view of the jacaranda city had ended. With the help of the community CPF sector 4 Brooklyn Marcel n team cyclists Rob King did a hike on the area of the attack. With the good eyes and determination found one attacker who was positively identified by Kiaraa as the person who had given her the blue eye n bust nose. He was in police custody since then with no feedback and in June this year , I testified and so did Kiaraa. A brave minor who requested not to testify behind a camera but face him once more. She said that she needs to do this to save what was her and brothers place❤️. Today sentencing was passed for armed robbery with 13 years of imprisonment. YAY YAY delighted we are. Thank you Marcel CPF sector 4, John Crewe , Rob King, Subesh Pillay Arthur Crewe and all the well wishes of recovery to us. The support was awesome from all. There is always one light burning . Always stand up , fight for your passion n belief which will result in justice being served."

This is a Facebook post from Dashinee Naicker, first of all well done to the Naicker family and well done to the cycling community it started right here on the BikeHub, we have a long road to travel but we're already making an impact.

What's the safety like on the roads in the area. I haven't ridden there before but am thinking of doing a loop from Centurion along Botha and then up the climb in Johan Rissik Dr (according to the map) and then back to Centurion.

What's the safety like on the roads in the area. I haven't ridden there before but am thinking of doing a loop from Centurion along Botha and then up the climb in Johan Rissik Dr (according to the map) and then back to Centurion.

Should be plenty folks up there  this morning ,myself included

Should be plenty folks up there this morning ,myself included

Thanks Blitzer. Any idea how it will be on weekdays after 5pm?

Thanks Blitzer. Any idea how it will be on weekdays after 5pm?

I usually ride there in the weekdays after work. Been doing it at least once a week (sticking to the road) for a good 18 months. Depending on what you want to do (hill repeats or just pass through once) after 5pm might be a bit late this time of year with it getting pretty dark around 6pm. I always try get out of there before it starts to get dark. But with summer approaching and the days getting longer I'd say its definitely fine for a midweek post-work ride and you'll probably see me (and usually a good 5-10 other cyclists/runners) there. I take pepper spray anyway but so far I've never had to use it.

I usually ride there in the weekdays after work. Been doing it at least once a week (sticking to the road) for a good 18 months. Depending on what you want to do (hill repeats or just pass through once) after 5pm might be a bit late this time of year with it getting pretty dark around 6pm. I always try get out of there before it starts to get dark. But with summer approaching and the days getting longer I'd say its definitely fine for a midweek post-work ride and you'll probably see me (and usually a good 5-10 other cyclists/runners) there. I take pepper spray anyway but so far I've never had to use it.

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I will definitely give it a try once the days start getting longer.

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately I can confirm that another attack has taken place on Klapperkop at Viewpoint 1 (first from R21 entrance) this morning. Two cars stopped for a bit of sightseeing and they were assaulted and stabbed. I got there about 30minutes after it happened and spoke to the police who responded a call (I believe it was a cyclist that assisted them). SAPS had very little information on the details so even mine are a bit sketchy. What I can confirm is that we have had six attacks in the reserve, in three of the incidents cyclists were involved and the other three were sightseers. I have had numerous discussions with Council regarding these attacks and these have been escalated to the MMC and expecting a statement on a plan of action any moment now. In particular we need a firm commitment on the timing on the installation of the access control and the permanent patrols for the area. I'm also pushing him for immediate security patrols during peak times.

Please ignore the reports from the Record who are reporting that these incidents took place in Groenkloof reserve these reports are incorrect and the good news is that we have had no incidents in Groenkloof since May last year. This indicates that the security plan is working in Groenkloof which suggests that we should be able to sort out Klapperkop if council simply execute their plan. In the meantime don't ride in Klapperkop on your own, I will keep you informed as to any progress made in terms of addressing the issue.

Terrible to hear. I've been riding solo at Klapperkop a lot over the past months, will need to put a hold on that for now I think.

Thanks for the updates!

Terrible to hear. I've been riding solo at Klapperkop a lot over the past months, will need to put a hold on that for now I think.

Thanks for the updates!

Yip this is a blow but not unexpected, as we knew would displace the criminals out of Groenkloof and into Klapperkop. The only good news is that thanks to our previous efforts we have good traction with council so I expect some quick action but let's see.