First Look: SRAM Red eTap

Nick

Cape Cycle Systems unveiled the SRAM Red eTap to Africa at the Cape Town Cycle Tour Expo this weekend. We managed to get some alone time with the display for a hands on experience with the first production wireless shifting groupset.

Click here to view the article

Why not have a central battery which can be routed to all the components? Not just the shifters but to riding lights as well. Just add more external connections. Complete with integrated charging point concealed under a shifter hood... 

Either that or buy a massive multi-plug just to prep your bike for a ride.

Charge front and rear riding light AND front and rear derailleur batteries

Why not have a central battery which can be routed to all the components? Not just the shifters but to riding lights as well. Just add more external connections. Complete with integrated charging point concealed under a shifter hood... 

because then it couldnt be wireless...

The batteries are also interchangeable so if you had the RD battery go flat you could shift to the small front ring then swap the FD and RD batteries and still carry on riding with it fairly normally just minus the ability to change front rings.

correction to the article; the Derailleur batteries are good for 60hours of riding time between recharge. Because they are rechargeable lithium ion chemistry they  can be recharged at any stage in their charge cycle without fear of developing memory or losing capacity.

The Shifters CR2032 batteries are good for 2years approximately, before replacement is necessary

Seriously ?

Did you just say that ?

Imagine how upset someone is gonna be when the clips for the battery get knocked and break off

and how pray will this happen? Have you seen how the battery fits? Only thing that can break is the battery or the whole derailleur. Going to need quite a knock to break either

and how pray will this happen? Have you seen how the battery fits? Only thing that can break is the battery or the whole derailleur. Going to need quite a knock to break either

Bottom of battery has a little tab that goes into metal of derailleur this plastic could potentially break. Its a road set so unlikely still possible.

any connection on Di2 or EPC could also break. Wires can be cut or chafe through..

Everything has a weakness.

The Red catch lever is also replaceable