So, who does cross training? What have you found to be the benefits? What have you found to be the 'down sides' if any? How often are you cross training? Do you adopt the 'muscle balance' form of training, ie: stabilisers and muscle you don't predominantly use while riding, but add to your overall endurance and power output?

Reason for this topic is that I have been running these cross training sessions with a group of guys from our 'club', we have all noticed big changes and improvements, I want to see what others have to say about it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go sit on a spinning bike, now turn up to a climbing load and start a hard seated climb (warm up first), remain seated and then take one hand and put it behind your back but keep the other on the bar.... then stand on the same tension and do the same thing...  a good indication of how strong/weak your core is...

if you struggle.... start cross training.... (I am not a doctor but this is how I assess where I am strength wise. I focus a lot of energy on core strength and lower back strength)

Edited by Monark

I do Crosstraining(Crossfit) 2 to 3 times a week and it mostly helped me with Climbing with mountain-biking, endurance has improved quite a bit.

I'd be quite interested in hearing what exercises you do as well.

I'm joining my wife at crossfit, starting tonight, to see if it helps me with some of the imbalances.

Picked up a niggle in my left knee at some point last year caused by an imbalance, and I'm hoping that this will help avoid similar problems. If it makes me faster as well, bonus.

Have you guys seen Nino Shurter's latest video?

That's him though...

I saw it, yes. Hectic!

I just know if I attempt most of those things, muscle imbalances would be the least of my worries...

I'm joining my wife at crossfit, starting tonight, to see if it helps me with some of the imbalances.

Picked up a niggle in my left knee at some point last year caused by an imbalance, and I'm hoping that this will help avoid similar problems. If it makes me faster as well, bonus.

good luck two weeks of pain when you start crossfit..... but dont stop

I know people like to sh** on CF just because it is CF, but I am honestly asking - does it really help with imbalance? Strength yes absolutely! I'd imagine that Pilates for example would be more helping when it comes to imbalance.

I've been doing running and swimming for cross training. Can't really say whether or not I observed any benefits, but muscle imbalances like hamstring / glute tightness did become more prominent.

I know people like to sh** on CF just because it is CF, but I am honestly asking - does it really help with imbalance? Strength yes absolutely! I'd imagine that Pilates for example would be more helping when it comes to imbalance.

I've been doing running and swimming for cross training. Can't really say whether or not I observed any benefits, but muscle imbalances like hamstring / glute tightness did become more prominent.

No idea, but I'm willing to give it a try, plus it sounds like fun. I'll chat to the instructor too, to get his opinion on it.

My GP gave me a basic exercise to do, specifically for the knee pain I was having.

CF works, no doubt ( I own a CF box though so maybe a bit bias). The thing with CF is that it doesn't target specific muscle imbalances and is not targeted to cycling specifically. Yes, it helps with general conditioning and strength, and also is invaluable when it comes to HR intervals etc,  but you are able to achieve MUCH better results training specifically, with a certain element of CF. Knee pain, lower back pain etc are normally symptoms of muscle imbalance, even upper back pain while riding. Hamstring , glute , stabilisers are what we target , Single leg exercises to avoid compensation by the dominant muscles etc. If you in and around the Fourways area, give me a shout, join us one evening and you can see for yourself what it is we do.

Have you guys seen Nino Shurter's latest video?

That's him though...

Awesome example of cross training. if the pros are doing it, then??

It works, IF you adopt or are trained in the proper form as well as the movement. If you don't have the proper form, you are likely to hurt yourself... 

Agree with Myles, I know of many people that have been injured at CF due to poor form and maybe even a lack of experience from the trainers at those specific venues. CF is great but you need to ease into it due to its HIT nature.   

Yoga and Pilates are also great... Yoga hurts me but I feel great about 3 days later once I can walk straight again (I am as flexible as a pane of glass)

Edited by Monark

I find cross training very beneficial. Not that young so I have to keep working to keep muscles firm and flexible. I Try to do cycling specific strength training in the gym with a focus on core strength. It has made a big difference to my riding and you can really get your leg strength up.

I follow a lot of the training exercises Joe Friel has in his book, The mountain bikers training bible.