Project in place to recognise SA cycling’s past heroes during the apartheid years

News bot

Cycling South Africa has embarked on a project to recognise the historical role other cycling organisations like the South African Cycling Association (SACA) and the South African Cycling Board (SACB) played in the South African and international cycling context during the apartheid era.

Click here to view the article

Basil Cohen, now there is a name I haven't heard in a while. When I knew him he had a small general dealer/bike shop in Venterspost close to Randfontein, this was early 90s. The mines used to sponsor the workers and there was a track at Lebanon and West Driefontein. They would get their gear from Basil.

This shop was a dream to a teenager like me, chests and chests of bike stuff, old track bikes and parts everywhere, I can still remember the smell. I bought a bunch of stuff from him, he always gave me a good deal, helped out a cash strapped teenager with a love for bikes.

Western Transvaal used to do their track racing at West Drie. We would go race on Saturdays and some mine workers would always come and watch. I still remember racing a very tight Individual pursuit and the crowd of mine workers were cheering like mad, it is my fav racing memory.

May want to look up Virgo Martin as well. His family emigrated to Australia in 88 or 89 though. Also represented Western Province under SACOS back in the day

Victor Tembani was a personal friend of mine in the 70's and we often rode together around the Marine Drive in Port Elizabeth. Obviously because of Apartheid Victor was not allowed to ride in any track events and he was an able track rider who only rode a track bike on the road and through the city centre! You could often see him balancing his track bike at traffic lights and gaining the admiration of all the young ladies due to his physique and good looks.

I clearly remember sponsoring him three red top Clement tubulars purchased from the then Webb Cycles for his ride to Johannesburg to meet up with Basil Cohen.

Victor had the best job any racing cyclist would like to have had in those days which was delivering medicine for the Pharmacy he then worked for....Erics Pharmacy in North End, Port Elizabeth.

Regards

Sven van Straaten

Ex Eastern Province Track rider.