Ironman

fatcyclist

I've been thinking about this monster of an event. A few people at the office are training for it, and one guy has now done two already (albeit around the 12hr mark)..

How difficult is it really?Confused

Any hubbers here that have done it?

I've been thinking about this monster of an event. A few people at the office are training for it' date=' and one guy has now done two already (albeit around the 12hr mark)..

How difficult is it really?Confused

Any hubbers here that have done it?
[/quote']

I have Big%20smile

Lanzarote in 1993 - a wonderful experience and I can still remember the joy of finishing.

It took a lot of my life to train for it and I was just looking for a finish - also depends how your swimming and running is.

To have others to train with is a big plus and then a great laugh - I would always recomend anyone with the time to train to do it.

Personally I think the guys training for it are NUTS! LOL

Who wants to do a 42km marathon after they've almost done a Dbl Century! I take my hat off to them though! Thumbs%20Up

Personally I think the guys training for it are NUTS! LOL

Who wants to do a 42km marathon after they've almost done a Dbl Century! I take my hat off to them though! Thumbs%20Up

But you'r tempted...

Bike took me 7.21 on a very mountainous course (you would have loved it) - somebody told me "you will want to throw your bike off the mountain side" - I did feel like that - hated it and couldn't wait to get to the shuffle - I mean run - (and I hate running)

Oh yeah, and that was after literally fighting my way through a washing machine of people trying to swim over each other in the ocean while staying in a straight line

Yeah - a bundle of laughs LOL

If only my one knee could take the pounding of running, I might be convinced to try it for 2008...not next yr...that would be suicide!!

Now maybe I should go see Paul at BikeMax to see what my knee can and can't do...Confused

Fatcyclist -  suggest you would end up walking or running very slowly a fair percentage of the marathon so don't let the knee put you off.

I did the 2005 IM in PE with a buddy who is a walker and he was able to finish in about 15hrs.

This year my run took 7hrs and i nornmally run a marathon sub 4hrs - so agian plenty of walking

I would say that unless you are currently running then 2007 is probably too soon. You can turn a runner into a triathlete very quickly but its much harder to come from one of the other disciplines.

You mention someone having done 12hrs, thats a good time and will put you in the top 20%. Most people finish between 14 and 16hrs and only the very best get under 10hrs.

If you can afford the time, get down to PE next year (I know you have other reasons to visit PE too) and watch the race. It's an amazing spectacle that cannot be compared. It makes the Argus, Comrades and any other sporting event pale in comparison and every athlete is made to feel as though they are stepping out at Ellis Park for the 95 RWC final.

Fatty - the pain is worth it at the end of the day - like Sir Fred says the event looks after and treats each individual as somebody special.

The Epic was good but this is fantastic - busy training for next year.

Guest Michelle

My step-mom got a second in Ironman Holland... 5th in Spain... she was a professional at the time... kinda helps when you train for over 6 hours a day Wink

Went last year, fell ill and couldn't complete, went this year and finished. Just one of those events that you must attempt at least once. Its a long day but you concentrate so much that it flies by. I'm about to start training for next year.

How about looking at something like the Wartrail ?

Spread over 3 days in the mountains of the Eastern Cape.

1st day is a 70km run/hike from Lady Grey to Balloch along the ridge line of the ,mountains.

2nd day is a 130km MTB ride through Rhodes / Lundeans Nek.

3rd day is a 60km paddle down the Orange river.

I'm hoping to do it next year (March).