Time for change - one step at a time

Frosty

Positive change/improvement required  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Are you willing to contribute (in any way) to help drive improvements in our sport?

• Yes
    • Maybe - depending on what is proposed
    • No
  2. 2. Which region are you from?

• Gauteng North
    • Gauteng South
    • Gauteng West
    • Gauteng East
    • Gauteng Central
    • Outside Gauteng
    • I don't know

This thread is aimed at getting the ball rolling to bring about change in the way our sport is managed. It's not a place to complain and then leave without providing any suggestions, but rather an opportunity to get your points across with a solution.

The initial objective will be to improve the current situation for cyclists registered with one of the 5 Gauteng regions (North, South, Central, West & East). Hubbers from outside Gauteng are welcome to comment, provide suggestions and lessons learnt from similar improvements made in years gone by. If this can help bring about change to the whole South African cycling community, then it's good - but the focus, for now is on Gauteng.

This thread has been started after the lack of communication from our provincial office relating to the eventual postponement of Gauteng Road & TT Champs, as well as a few other perennial gripes about number collection, race numbers, licences, where do our fees get used, rider safety at cycle events and more.

There are a few things to remembers - SASCOC impose certain rules and regulations that CyclingSA and provincial affiliates need to adhere to, so the chance for change is minimal. What we can change though is, firstly, the communication between administrators and cyclists, and secondly items on the list below:

Feel free to comment, discuss, add to the list - I will browse through the comments and add to the list on this post, so that the most recent changes are in one place.

Let's keep this thread clean and positive with comments that can make that difference.

ROAD CYCLING

1. Seeding
    • One central database for all race events, irrespective of timing company;
    • One source of data for events to use to seed particpants;
    • A transparent method of calculating the index value;
    • Frequency of updating the seeding;
  2. Permanent numbers
    • This has been used before, and also been discussed many times before. Lost of reasons to say Yes, and just as many reasons to say No;
    • If running and MTB have a system in place, road cycling can do the same;
    • One number issued and controlled by the provincial/regional affiliate;
    •  
  3. Number collection
    • Out-dated and unproductive - benefits the cycle shops more than anyone else;
    • By making changes to 1 & 2 above, number 3 could be resolved.
    •  
  4. Common Calendar
    • This is in place, but we still have races clashing with each other.
    • Minimum criteria is also set to get the race onto the calendar, but in some cases the minimum standards are not enforced.
  5. Safety at races
    • Having a proper seeding system can mitigate risks of riders being placed in the wrong group
    • Ride education - how to hold your line, how to drink on the move.
  6. Safety Awareness
    • Education of all road users
  7. Provincial, Regional and Interclub racing
    • ​Use ​Interclub to select riders to compete at inter-regional level;
    • Use Regional races to select riders to compete at provincial competitions/champs;
    • Use Provincial races to select ridrrs for Nationals
  8. Crit Racing (plans are already underway for a winter series - Gauteng East).

9. Financial
    • Why do we pay license/affiliation fees? Provincial and National licence​.
    • How is the money utilised?
  10. Communication
  • ​Joining a club is not compulsory - it's recommended only;
  • One central database with all member details - opt-out clause in weekly/monthly communication from administrators.

edit: In the poll, I've added the regions from Gauteng.
Perhaps select the region you're in - never know what stats it might show up. Which region is the most unhappy vs happy, or who cares more about change.

Just not sure how to allow those that have already voted to add their region.

Edited by geraldm24

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerald, great idea, if you need some help and support, pm me.

I have been cycling for some time so I am not all that new to the sport. What I do not understand how the administration of cycling get appointed. I never voted for them and in turn they have never done anything for me, except take my money. It seems to me that the administration and the cyclists are a long way apart and the administration is no way interested in the cyclist or his needs and wants. Seems completely bizzare as these are the people who are administering our sport. The races are organized by private companies (ASG) or private individuals as is the case in South Gauteng races ( the ones in Meyerton and around Sasolburg). The first time that I have ever seen a a CSA official was the screaming commissaire last Sunday. That is in 7 years racing in Gauteng.

What do these people do? Why are the there? Why are we forced to pay money to somebody who has no interest in us? Can we do something to change the situation?

By posting your views and opinions here you are already making a contribution. So type away - say it as it is, even if you don't have a solution.

I don't have all the answers, and if I did it would be just as one sided as the current administration.

Instead, by laying out the problems and suggesting improvements, it can be shown that it's a collective effort.

One thing that was not included in the OP, was how the funds are used, the availability of up to date and accountable financial statements. Perhaps someone with a bit of knowledge in this area can help - not saying there are mismanagement of the fees paid by us, but more on the lines of "what is expected of a person elected to the position" and "show us where the fees are being used".

Gerald, I am glad someone has initiated something like this. My suggestion ties back to some of the items mentioned previously. I would like to suggest the following:

1. Have regular inter-club races catering for all ages, size and colour

2. Have more touring events

3. We have to pay affiliation fees, I would like to know where that money goes to and how it is spent

4. Continuous education of other road users

5. Have regular inter provincial events

6. Have a one-number system whereby a single cloth number can be used for various disciplines. When affiliated with the a controlling body, a number is issued and recorded.

The perception currently is that no member of the public has a view of how things are been run. All we do is pay pay pay and ask very little questions and also get very little if not nothing in return....Why do we pay license fees? 

From my chats with a few officials, the willingness to change (or improve the region) is there but the strategic plan to get there is unfortunately missing. The biggest reason is a lack of constructive communication and getting many more involved than there are currently. As I'm not involved with other regions, I can't really comment, but one thing is clear - improvement is required in all regions.

There are a number of passionate people currently in the mix within Gauteng cycling, so we (royal we) need to ensure their passion is channeled in the right direction, rather than blocked off. One of the worst things to say to a passionate person is "you can't do it", or "it can't be done", or "don't waste your time" - eventually they'll back off and find other means to express their passion.

In the movie, National Treasure, the treasure hunter, Benjamin Gates, asks his sidekick, Riley, this simple question: “We don’t need someone crazy. But one step short of crazy, what do you get?

His sidekick says “Obsessed” but he correct him with “Passionate”.

I'd venture out and say that the commissaires must have some sort of passion to get in a car and follow cyclists around - perhaps not all have passion, but maybe more of a hobby or being forced to by their spouse/partner. Either way, cyclists need them as much as they need cyclists, but the attitude is a different problem all together, and if addressed in a meaningful way, I'm sure it could become pleasurable to all.

I have not been involved in the sport for all that long (just under a year) so I cannot really comment on a lot of issues. What I do agree with though is 

1- One central database for all race events, irrespective of timing company.

This will help with a multitude of things. Like trying to figure out which races is seeding races for which other event. If I, for example, did races that was timed by company X during the year (doing good times), but then do a race timed by company Y, it will affect my seeding and possibly group me in a slower group, which in itself causes problems as I have found out in only 1 or 2 races.

So if I understand the whole seeding thing, If they can pull data from all the events you have done, your seeding should be way more in line with your abilities. 

Edited by PietSw

Great ideas but like most things will require determination and patience. Change will not happen over night.

sheesh G, this is what you have been upto ! Strongs to you (x1000)

It's been on mind for just under a year, but put into action after the shambles that was our provincial champs.

Not an easy task. What's the worst thing that can happen? I get back on my bike and imagine nothing is wrong.

The good news is that some ideas have already been discussed, so it's not starting from scratch.

On the subject of volunteers and their commitment. Before cycling I was involved in motorsport and raced cars for about 14 years. Now the race car sits in the garage unused and my race bike has its own room. My wife was very actively involved in running the club that I raced with, she was passionate about the sport and had a very good understanding of what the drivers required. She was part of the MSA (controlling body for motorsport, much like CSA). All of this despite never having driven a race car or even sat in one. Although I was a driver I was never given any benefit by her being in control, rather I was penalized more than others.

Back to the subject

Firstly it would be good to know:

• what (Central) Gauteng Cycling is supposed to be doing, I have seen their website, but that is more or less meaningless
  • Are they actually doing what they say they are
  • Who gave them a mandate to do whatever it is that they do
  • Who are they responsible to
  • Who appoints them, how do these people get their jobs, (some of these people are paid as in a full time job)
  • Where do they get their money from, I assume from us in the form of licence fees and a portion of the race entry

Then

• We need to know what it is that we want from them - a lot of it has been outlined in comments below.
  • If we are paying their salaries, what say do we have in how our money is spent

Is there no way that we can get the PPA to get involved in Gauteng, I lived in CT and raced there, what a difference the PPA make to cycling there. A lot of the things that are being asked for in Gauteng exist in the Cape as a matter of course. They seem to be above board, are visible and do make a difference.

Is there no way that we can get the PPA to get involved in Gauteng, I lived in CT and raced there, what a difference the PPA make to cycling there. A lot of the things that are being asked for in Gauteng exist in the Cape as a matter of course. They seem to be above board, are visible and do make a difference.

I was about to make the same suggestion :-)

If you want a fast change for the better, implement the PPA system in Gauteng, and ask them to run it.

Thanks - comments are noted.

I've had (some) communication from hubbers in the WC which have said pretty much the same thing. A lot of it has been running well for a number of years, and got me thinking about alternatives should I bump heads with the locals.

With the PPA having opened an office in the FS, they are one step closer to Gauteng, and wouldn't surprise me if they do something here one day sooner than later.

The objective at the end of the day is for improvement in many aspects, and it doesn't really matter who gets the job done - as long as the cyclists of Gauteng see some change.

On the subject of volunteers and their commitment. Before cycling I was involved in motorsport and raced cars for about 14 years. Now the race car sits in the garage unused and my race bike has its own room. My wife was very actively involved in running the club that I raced with, she was passionate about the sport and had a very good understanding of what the drivers required. She was part of the MSA (controlling body for motorsport, much like CSA). All of this despite never having driven a race car or even sat in one. Although I was a driver I was never given any benefit by her being in control, rather I was penalized more than others.

Back to the subject

Firstly it would be good to know:

• what (Central) Gauteng Cycling is supposed to be doing, I have seen their website, but that is more or less meaningless
  • Are they actually doing what they say they are
  • Who gave them a mandate to do whatever it is that they do
  • Who are they responsible to
  • Who appoints them, how do these people get their jobs, (some of these people are paid as in a full time job)
  • Where do they get their money from, I assume from us in the form of licence fees and a portion of the race entry

Then

• We need to know what it is that we want from them - a lot of it has been outlined in comments below.
  • If we are paying their salaries, what say do we have in how our money is spent

I really think that a change in leadership is needed in Gauteng! I do not see anything been done....

There needs to be a shakeup around the CGC leadership.....PPA needs to step in and they should be given the mandate to manage the union because they are visible among other things....