Bikes of the Epic: Stefan Sahm's Bulls E-Stream EVO FS 3 29 E-Bike

Nick

Three-time Absa Cape Epic winner Stefan Sahm has turned media crew member for 2016. But unlike the rest of us, he (sort of) gets to ride his mountain bike with the leading pack. Stefan is part of the collaboration between Bulls Bikes and 3sixtv bringing us footage from the trails of the Absa Cape Epic in 360 degrees. To help him zoom between the pros during the race, while carrying six GoPros above his head, Stefan is using a custom Bulls E-Stream EVO FS 3 29 e-bike.

Click here to view the article

Mountain e bikes are going to be a huge thing and you will love them. It will allow wives to go riding with their husbands, which will keep the peace at home. It will also help the husbands with boeps keep up with their skinny race snake wives.

So much of win (I don't suggest putting an RS 1 on them, however)

I remember sweeping the Simonsberg contour and having to sweep single track while back markers were taking the shortest route back to the finish, thinking how nice a little assistance would be to get me back onto the back markers. I can see many applications for this. It obviously handles pretty well. Sahm easily kept up with every one in the play park section at Meerendal (admittedly not technical in nature and he had about 15 go's at the same section), it has commuting potential and utilitarian function for medics, rescue response and media coverage (as per the current use). Its not a Frankenstein, but could appear a bit more refined.

Now isn't that interesting ... an AM (All Mountain) alloy e-Bike with wide AM style hoops and a longish travel XC fork.

Trail bikes will have a jol on the EPIC.

Think we need a local Trail/AM 7-8 day adventure race. 

Now that be cool ;)

Wonder how light they can make it?  20kgs seems heavy, but then it is an alu frame.

Handling must be quite tricky, but brilliant if used for the right purpose.

Wonder how light they can make it?  20kgs seems heavy, but then it is an alu frame.

Handling must be quite tricky, but brilliant if used for the right purpose.

I've only tested it on tar where it feels surprisingly like a normal bike, until you pedal of course. It doesn't take much to bunny hop it either.

Much of the added weight is low down around the bottom bracket and in the downtube, exactly where you'd want it if you had to carry more weight.

I can confirm this. Did my 1st Epic on a Trek EX with 130mm travel fork and 120mm at the back. Not much slower on the climbs than the XC whippets and just so much more fun when the trail went down/sideways. :-) 

Trail bikes will have a jol on the EPIC.

I am conflicted about this - lots of great things about it, excellent for some applications and the engineering is very appealing - I am especially impressed with how well packaged they have become over the past 5 years. I just can't shake the irrational feeling that I don't like this creeping into cycling.

Next - they need to work on the footage quality derived from this setup. What a waste of time if that video is anything to go by.

I am conflicted about this - lots of great things about it, excellent for some applications and the engineering is very appealing - I am especially impressed with how well packaged they have become over the past 5 years. I just can't shake the irrational feeling that I don't like this creeping into cycling.

Hydraulic disc brakes come from motor bikes, we have electric shifters now, lights on our bikes thats stronger than some car lights. In a country where we don't have the luxury of ski lifts (now THERE's assisted ascent!) I can see a real niche here.

Hydraulic disc brakes come from motor bikes, we have electric shifters now, lights on our bikes thats stronger than some car lights. In a country where we don't have the luxury of ski lifts (now THERE's assisted ascent!) I can see a real niche here.

SA is too flat to wimp out that quickly. The guys from the countries with ski lifts already "outclimb" us without trying.

seriously though, the niche is obvious - just saying there is something that does not sit 100% with me.