Bikes of the Epic: Stefan Sahm's Bulls E-Stream EVO FS 3 29 E-Bike

Nick

My old man turns 80 this year - he is recovering from his second knee replacement at the moment - the thing he is most enthusiastic about doing as soon as the Physio says so is to get back on his ebike. Its taken him back to a level of participation of about 15 years ago. He is a lot safer to himself and others on the road.

I was a doubter too until I rode it - don't knock it till you try it.

If I wanted to save gas an commute on a cycle path - this is the answer.

Nice review

I'd like

My old man turns 80 this year - he is recovering from his second knee replacement at the moment - the thing he is most enthusiastic about doing as soon as the Physio says so is to get back on his ebike. Its taken him back to a level of participation of about 15 years ago. He is a lot safer to himself and others on the road.

I was a doubter too until I rode it - don't knock it till you try it.

If I wanted to save gas an commute on a cycle path - this is the answer.

Nice review

I'd like to see the equation of how far you'd have to drive to recoup the cost of such a bike.

Hydraulic disc brakes come from motor bikes, we have electric shifters now, lights on our bikes thats stronger than some car lights. In a country where we don't have the luxury of ski lifts (now THERE's assisted ascent!) I can see a real niche here.

Hydraulic brakes, electonic shifting, bikelights don't change the fundamental nature of a bicycle - something that relies solely on human input to power it forward.  This isn't a bicycle.  It's a shitty electric motorbike.

Having said that, people must do what they want. Never let it be said I stood between a fool and a bad decision.  I, however, reserve the right to point and laugh at you as you "cruise" past me on your way up that "brute of a climb".

And please don't compare this to uplifts.  It's not.  No one pretends that they actually cycled up to the trailhead on a shuttle day. 

Does Sahm ride the whole stage on this bike ? and does the battery last that long ?

I do understand that he isnt always on battery power .

Does Sahm ride the whole stage on this bike ? and does the battery last that long ?

I do understand that he isnt always on battery power .

The aim is to get footage of the front runners on the more technical sections. It seems like on most stages he picks them up closer to the finish.

Although I hate th idea of an e bike, I had an opportunity to pedal the bulls bike. . . Damn that thing is fast and goes like a demon when you pedal, I more than put in the faster I goes and handles quite nippy. Tyres looks like a cross between a mtb and mx tyres

It's a very effective tool for the job it's intended. Having Stefan Sahm pedaling it really gets us close to the action. Since it's the first time it's been tried I'm pretty excited but the opportunity it brings but surely a similarly equipped off road motorcycle would do as effective a job.

Maybe it's just the green appeal of an electric engine that cost more energy to build than a bone r80gs