Anyone move from Vodacom to Telkom Mobile recently?

Iwan Kemp

Is there anyone out there who made the switch from Vodacom to Telkom Mobislenwho can comment on

1. Reception?

2. Data coverage?

Not sure about in the Cape but I use Telkom mobile and my speed is faaarrrrr better than Vodacon in my area. Cheapest prepaid rates as well.

Edited by Mojoman

I have a contract at both (long story that ended with a sim for cycling phone YAY!)

Telkom mobile reception is crap. Most of area's I go its roaming, when its not roaming network is good. I have never had an issue with them tbh, biggest complaint was how long I had to wait for the discontinued phone they managed to source from another branch.

P.S Note the sarcasm Text

Edited by Amberdrake

I have a contract at both (long story that ended with a sim for cycling phone YAY!)

Telkom mobile reception is crap. Most of area's I go its roaming, when its not roaming network is good. I have never had an issue with them tbh, biggest complaint was how long I had to wait for the discontinued phone they managed to source from another branch.

P.S Note the sarcasm Text

See you're in SSW. Where does it roam? Out on a ride or in smaller towns, etc?

Out to Grabouw it roams mostly but Somerset west itself some area's aswell depending on where you are. Out riding I mostly dont check phone but I have had completely no signal sometimes (assuming alll service providers have this) other times its completely incredible signal. Smaller towns its quite bad when I was using tablet on telkom it had crap reception all along N2 to PE with some improvements along way. Down to Cape Augulas its also not great at all (roamed if your lucky). But this is over last 2 years odd might be better in some areas now.

For most of riding i still get missed calls so assume it works well :)

I made the move from Vodacom to Telkom end of 2014. Lived in Pta East and now in Durban.

Telkom falls back onto MTN so reception is really not an issue.

I used my phone as a hotspot in the Central Berg (Out past Champagne sports resort) and streamed series with no hassles.

We were recently in Clarens, had no issues with reception there.

Cape Town, Gordons Bay, Somerset West, Bloemfontein, St Lucia same story.

The value for money that you get on Telkom is waaay better than any other network.

The only downside is that you do not get LTE on the mobile contracts. (When I took out my contract I was told that I would not have LTE. Maybe it has changed now). Either way, not an issue for me.

Why would you want to go with Telkom? If you live in Cape Town, go Cell C, their LTE coverage in the city areas is second to none.

• 1 month later...

Why would you want to go with Telkom? If you live in Cape Town, go Cell C, their LTE coverage in the city areas is second to none.

Telkom LTE in the southern suburbs gives speeds of 38Mbps, Cell C non existent. The telkom offering of smart essential home package with optic is unbeatable.

• 3 years later...

With the last post now more than three years ago I'd like to resurrect this topic. 

I'm considering moving my cell contract (with some data) away from Vodacom to Telkom Mobile, and at the same time discontinue my Telkom "landline" (since Telkom Mobile offers free Telkom-to-Telkom calls).

What current experience/comments do Hubbers have on Telkom's cellular coverage and data coverage, both i.t.o. extent and quality?

How does Telkom Mobile fare on International Roaming?

How is Telkom Mobile's Customer Service?

I still need to research call rates and out of contract rates, but any current knowledge and comments about rates would also be useful

With the last post now more than three years ago I'd like to resurrect this topic.

I'm considering moving my cell contract (with some data) away from Vodacom to Telkom Mobile, and at the same time discontinue my Telkom "landline" (since Telkom Mobile offers free Telkom-to-Telkom calls).

What current experience/comments do Hubbers have on Telkom's cellular coverage and data coverage, both i.t.o. extent and quality?

How does Telkom Mobile fare on International Roaming?

How is Telkom Mobile's Customer Service?

I still need to research call rates and out of contract rates, but any current knowledge and comments about rates would also be useful

So I moved from Vodacom to Telkom Mobile 4 years ago. I made the move while living in Pretoria and I was very happy...

- Reception exceptional

- Data costs low

- Mobile data very fast (like 40Mb/s fast in some areas)

- Customer service: never had to deal with them

I moved down to Somerset West last year, and now I am planning on moving back to Vodacom.

- I find reception to be horendous down here, sometimes I just get an SMS to say I have missed calls, my phone doesn't even ring.

- Data is also slow. So slow in fact that I cannot use 1GB in a month if I tried (this is at home). If I am not on wifi at home it is just as good as not having a phone at all.

- Customer service: Terrible. I have reported the above MANY times with no resolution. I have tried to cancel the contract because of non delivery of service, not working. So now I am just going to ride it out and go back to Vodacom.

The funnies thing is that I get a weekly call from Hellkom where they try sell me more data.

Oh, and good luck cancelling that landline, that was one of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had.

Is there anyone out there who made the switch from Vodacom to Telkom Mobislenwho can comment on

1. Reception?

2. Data coverage?

I have a telkom data contract for a few years now. In cape town cbd reception is great and fast. In southern suburbs its not bad at all, but its data and I use it on my laptop.

My son recently got himself a telkom sim. Reception still drops in places, but I believe you can piggy back off mtn.

I have a telkom data contract for a few years now. In cape town cbd reception is great and fast. In southern suburbs its not bad at all, but its data and I use it on my laptop.

My son recently got himself a telkom sim. Reception still drops in places, but I believe you can piggy back off mtn.

The piggy back works well when it works, which is intermittent at best.

Telkom Mobile is great if you live where there is coverage. So just make sure of that before you make the switch.

The piggy back works well when it works, which is intermittent at best.

Telkom Mobile is great if you live where there is coverage. So just make sure of that before you make the switch.

Oddly I have found it works really well for me in the southern suburbs when I have struggled with most other providers in the past.

I even tried Rain which is laughably bad.

Oddly I have found it works really well for me in the southern suburbs when I have struggled with most other providers in the past.

I even tried Rain which is laughably bad.

That's the thing though, when it works it works 100% (like me in Pretoria), but when it doesn't work it's a nightmare (Somerset West). And dealing with Telkom is like dealing with a brick wall.