Anyone move from Vodacom to Telkom Mobile recently?

Iwan Kemp

All I'm gonna say on this topic is - good luck when it comes time to cancel your Hellkom account...

I literally just had a chat with a colleague of mine who has just been handed over for an amount of either R150, R1200 or R1900 depending on who was correct at the time of the call from both Telkom and the debt collectors. This despite cancelling in Feb 2018. Oh, and no, neither Telkom nor the debt collectors are able to provide an invoice or a statement reflecting supposed outstanding moneys owed.

I am with Vodacom, and although I have signal issues now and then, I have never had the want nor the inclination to venture away from them, especially not to THellkom

i was 18 years with vodacom and made the move to Telkom 2 months ago. Reception has been good. data was good. i went to Citrusdal recently and the phone automatically switched to roaming. reception and data was a bit slowly then. i believe that Telkom roams on Vodacom since 1 July and no longer MTN. i did however manage to cut my bill down by almost 50% ( 4 contracts)

Thanks all, I think I will stay with Voda for now.

I moved over from Vodacom almost 2 years ago.

My Vodacom spent was usually R1.2k a month (with a device).

Now I'm on Freeme 20GB at R500pm.

Plus my usages has gone up drastically. I stream music everyday in the Jhb traffic.

Maybe I have just been extremely lucky but so far its been really good.

There was a bit of problems last weekend with switch from MTN roaming to Vodacom but all seems good again.

I have got a few of my work colleagues to move over as well. All seems very happy.

I never hesitate to make a call, watch YouTube or even to share my data connection for my kids IPad. You just use your device as much as you like without thinking about it or worrying about month end bill.

I cannot understand why people still stay with Vodacom. The Freeme value is unbeatable and my experience with TM has been awesome.

Just take a bit of patience along when you go to the TM shop and even there the experience was not too bad.

I would highly recommend you give a go. Even my porting from Vodacom was painless

And with TM you don't sign a 24 month contract. It's month to month so if you are not satisfied you are not locked down for 2 years

I have to mention, my signal has been really good since Telkom started roaming on Voda... of it continues this way it may just dave me the hassle of changing back to Vodacom.

i was 18 years with vodacom and made the move to Telkom 2 months ago. Reception has been good. data was good. i went to Citrusdal recently and the phone automatically switched to roaming. reception and data was a bit slowly then. i believe that Telkom roams on Vodacom since 1 July and no longer MTN. i did however manage to cut my bill down by almost 50% ( 4 contracts)

My story is almost identical...

Telkom is great.

• 3 weeks later...

My Telkom contract at this stage is a total waste of money. Living just of Lynnwood road in Pretoria, and my phone for the past two weeks have been on constant roaming. It is as if Telkom switched of the towers in the area. We had great Telkom service, until they switched to Vodacom Roaming.

So from great service in areas like Pretoria, to crap service like Bronkhorstspruit in a few weeks

Telkom....MTN...VOdacon.....Cell C....tried them all....latest one for me is RAIN....working a treat as well...

Some advice from my side. Buy yourself 100 postal pigeons and run for the hills.

I have a Telkom Mobile modem, which is amazing in the cities and horrible in the smaller towns. My CellC works a treat in most places, but I have 0 reception in the middle of Sandton. Also out on the plot the calls drop once you hit 5 mins connection time. With Vodacom I have pending litigation where they failed to cancel my contract at time of buy out, allocated a new number (screw FICA right?) and just continued billing me.

So in short, none are perfect. Pick the town you are planning in being in most of the town and go door to door doing a census, this is most likely your best option.

PS. When you cancel Telkom get your attorney briefed and on standby. I have a client who cancelled his contract, which was running month to month, via email, online and in store. Telkom failed to cancel after the 30 day period and continued billing him for a couple more months, and gave him extra benefits like fixed line rental on a cell account. Then continued to list him with ITC for non payment and handed him over for debt collection. So now we are fighting that as well. 

Edited by Letum911