Bikes of the Epic: Christoph Sauser's Specialized Epic S-Works

Nick

The Specialized Epic is quite likely the defacto bike of choice at the Absa Cape Epic. We've seen countless examples of Specialized's cross-country racer this year, but this particular bike is quite special. Christoph Sauser's Epic S-Works is decked out in a custom Investec Songo Specialized paint strip. Something about the Investec zebra black, white and silver all fits quite nicely. And somewhat ironically, even in retirement Sauser still dons a zebra jersey, albeit of a different sort to that of his Epics past.

Click here to view the article

Okay so you couldn't resist the ess-works, but even I have to admit that's a fine looking bike.

The Rotor-In power meter looks really neat ( wonder if anyone actually has the 'power in' besides Sahm)

No chain guard - those Qring teeth look vicious enough no to let anything go.

Rest seems reasonably simple/ tried and tested - reliability/ consistency these days seems to trump looking for the edge. Even Lill/ Wcock seem to say that all they want is steady and no drama.... and it seems to be working.

Excellent work again, well done Nick (David Rome from Bikeradar has been replaced!)

christoph_sauser

my spares for @capeepic swat box: tire lever, tube, big plugs, patch, valve, multi tool, drailleur hanger. pocket: pump, @dynaplug and tracker w emergency button from organization. actually duct tape and cable ties would be good to bring as well!

post-271-0-37375200-1458277594_thumb.jpg

Quite narrow tyres front and back, used to see 2.1/2.25 combo or similar, or is the 1.95 a different indicator?

VERY narrow tyres. Wouldn't like to ride those at all

Quite narrow tyres front and back, used to see 2.1/2.25 combo or similar, or is the 1.95 a different indicator?

They were noticeably narrow on the bike.

I asked Sipho Madolo about them (his bike is almost identically specced) and he's been happy with how they've coped with the course so far. But he does know how to handle a bike and weighs very little.

christoph_sauser

my spares for @capeepic swat box: tire lever, tube, big plugs, patch, valve, multi tool, drailleur hanger. pocket: pump, @dynaplug and tracker w emergency button from organization. actually duct tape and cable ties would be good to bring as well!

attachicon.gifSauser_Spares.JPG

Ive never seen the swatbox up close but how the hell does he fit all that in there? I wont even be able to fit that into a big saddle bag (not that i use a saddle bag  :ph34r: )

Pro's = 1.95

Us mere mortals = 2.1+  ^_^

First time I've seen the @DynaPlug system!! Great review! :clap:

Agree, keep them coming! Thanks guys! :thumbup:

I think the wider carbon rims helps those 1'95 tyres look closer to a 2,10'' or 2,2'' of old. But interesting choice for sure.

In one of the features yesterday, riders mentioned how the dust was partly to blame for the flats they were getting, especially when riding behind others.  

Ive never seen the swatbox up close but how the hell does he fit all that in there? I wont even be able to fit that into a big saddle bag (not that i use a saddle bag  :ph34r: )

Maybe its all Specialized tooling and they have created the design around the tools so they all clip / fit in exactly....as long as they don't rattle around...would drive me nuts