RIFLE

mon-goose

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also went this weekend, first hunt where I shot at something. Used a mates 30-06 on a female wildebeest after walking after blesbok and impala for 3 days! 95 kgs when dropped off at the butcher with some meat damage on the shoulder.

very nice. I am very keen to go again

Also keen, but gonna take me a while to eat a wildebeest to make space in the freezer! Hopefully next time it will be with my Howa .308 (still need to do all the paperwork though).

I have found that there are certain venison things that get used up quickly, I think mainly because it is easy to cook and get used in everyday meals:

1. Sausage - braai, breakfast, get a butcher to make it if you don't have the tools

2. Mince - used in a million dishes, cottage pie, moussaka, soups, put in a bit of fat from pork or sheep

3. Pies - frozen, quick to heat and make a special meal, but time consuming to make at first

Edited by DJR

I have found that there are certain venison things that get used up quickly, I think mainly because it is easy to cook and get used in everyday meals:

1. biltong

2. biltong

3. Sausage - braai, breakfast, get a butcher to make it if you don't have the tools

4. Mince - used in a million dishes, cottage pie, moussaka, soups, put in a bit of fat from pork or sheep

5. Pies - frozen, quick to heat and make a special meal, but time consuming to make at first

Corrected it for you

Corrected it for you

Quite right you are, biltong and droewors disappear faster than a bloody politician when there is work to be done. I do make those but in small batches or else there won't be anything left by spring.   :D

• 3 weeks later...

100 days later and finally I could get to the range to fire some shots. The ammo I gathered was a big variety of different loads and age. From slug's to No.8's varying in age from 4 months to 20 years plus. Fed and fired 107 rounds without a single issue. I'm seriously impressed with this shotgun ! On the target is the last 6 rounds I fired, standing at 20 meters. 5 Slugs and 1 round of 00-Buckshot which is close or similar to SG. Using the standard/supplied IC choke the grouping is not bad at all. Two of the slug's almost thru the same hole. The buckshot has 9 pellets that are all on the target with 1 flyer a little upwards.   

post-62204-0-65968900-1594897163_thumb.jpeg

post-62204-0-02663400-1594897181_thumb.jpeg

If you could buy only one rifle for precision range shooting and maybe long range hunting which caliber would it be?

I don’t have loads of cash so I’ll probably only realistically be able to get one more rifle in the collection. I have a 270 for hunting and a .22 for playing around. Would like to get into the precision shooting scene and maybe do one or two competitions. I’m torn between a few calibers. The 6.5 creedmore, 7mm or 300. I would need something that has a longish barrel life and also isn’t super expensive to reload ammo. Range shooting would take preference over hunting capability.

Your input would be appreciated.

If you could buy only one rifle for precision range shooting and maybe long range hunting which caliber would it be?

I don’t have loads of cash so I’ll probably only realistically be able to get one more rifle in the collection. I have a 270 for hunting and a .22 for playing around. Would like to get into the precision shooting scene and maybe do one or two competitions. I’m torn between a few calibers. The 6.5 creedmore, 7mm or 300. I would need something that has a longish barrel life and also isn’t super expensive to reload ammo. Range shooting would take preference over hunting capability.

I will definitely take a look at the 6.5 PRC. Its uses a bigger case than the 6.5 creedmoor and shoots about 180fps faster which might be a concern for barrel life but apparently its not so bad. Its a new caliber so you wont find ammo of the shelf, but it wont concern me as I will reload myself.

I also looked at the 300WM but it will be more expensive to reload and recoil is more.

Edited by koukie

The 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be the starter rifle for accurate longer range shooting. It is very accurate over "normal people" distances, let's say out to 500, but can do well enough out to 1000 m and with pretty comfortable recoil. Anything beyond that, and you'll need something a lot bigger, with much worse recoil and a lot more expensive. Realistically, how many ranges are there over 500 m anyway?

I would choose between 6.5 Creedmoor and 308.

6.5 will only get you about 2500 shots of barrel life, where the 308 will easily do double that.

Vihtavuori powder will add another couple of hundred shots over the hot burning S365 stretching the 6.5 to about 3000 shots. Vihtavuori is more expensive than Somchem, but it's easy to find and a more "stable" powder.

The ,308 is less fussy when it comes to loading.

Shooting to 1000m in good conditions we can swing a 400mm gong the whole day with 308 and 6.5

Edited by Boerklong